Drift Tires - design difference between normal road tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Tires - design difference between normal road tires

Ok, I'm curious about companies coming out with drift oriented tires. How does the drift tire design differ from ordinary driving tires. What are the advantages/disadvantages of running a drift tire versus a normal tire(in general, not any specific brand). List benifits for both drifting and normal driving. I'm not really looking for a "what tire to buy" thing, rather, I'm curious about the design and benifits of one over the other. Why should or shouldn't I buy a drift tire? Would drift tires be any good for normal driving or are they track only? Discuss physical design and it's benifits and troubles for both drifting and normal driving. Answers to these questions are what I'm looking for.

Well I have never heard about this yet, but I would assume a "drift tire" would have a much smoother slip angle than a "street tire." But I'm curious if a tire like that would be legal for D1 events. I guess as long as its available to the general public and DOT approved then it should fit within the D1 rules.

Comment

drift tires aremade of a harder material and wear more consistantly than other tires, thats about as much as I know, also I hear they are illeagal in drift events because it makes it way too easy to drift, I heard one year a guy had them on his car and completely owned everyone else, since then they are banned as far as I know. also someone in hawaii, was talking about a touge run that is well patroled by cops, and if then pull you over and find drift spec tires or, low tread on your tires you goto jail, I'm not sure how true that story is, because to me it sounds like total BS that t is illegal to have low tread on your tires, but I have heard worse.
      Last edited by Menchi; 04-28-2004, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Dont know if this helps, but thats yokohama's drift tire(s).

Comment

how's the falken st115 for drifting tires?

Comment

Yokohama Advan Neovas
            GoodYear Revspecs
            Falken ST115s
            Dunlop Direzzas & FM901s
            Brigstone Potenza RE01s & G3s
            and Federal SS595s

Comment

The tire guy is going to put in his .02 and hope I dont make myself sound stupid. I have yet to hear of a "drifting" dedicated tire made by any manufacturer. Of course there will be tires that are better suited for Drifting. Such as the Falken Azenis ST115. Its a bit harder than the fk451, making it a better tire to slide with. The 451 is pretty damn sticky. Now, I have seen Yokohama AVS Sports out there which is a VERY sticky tire. But I guess itll work depending on your power and suspension set up. I believe Rhys is using them on his GTO. All of our cars, for example, use the ST115. Come by our booth if you see us at an event. We'll have lots of deads laying around. All of ours will be worn evenly. Then there will be some "others" sitting close by from other cars...with large chunks out of them, bubbles from belt movement, and some other interesting things.

Anyway...the only dedicated "drift" tires I know of exhst only for RC cars... click me

Comment

I brought up this post not knowing of any "drift" specifc tires. However, I see lots and lots of the same tires being mentioned for drifting. In my eyes this leads me to believe these are more of a drift specific or drift oriented tire. Sorry for any confusion. Unless at race level, I couldn't really see any company actually making a drift specific tire for the general public. I do have a commercial type movie for the Advan ones with several profesional drifters testing them out and commenting. The comments don't help me cause I don't understand Japanese, but the drifting is pretty to look at, lol. In this sense, some companies seem to be focusing some of their models towards the drifting crowd.

Anyways, continue on.

Comment

These tires are well suited for drifting, but that is just the nature of their design. They work, so people use them.

Comment

drift tires are any tires u use when ur drifting.... lolz0rz...

Comment

Working...
                    X