Mazdaspeed Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazdaspeed Miata

i'm kinda confused on the specs of the turbo for the mazdaspeed miata.

the mazda ads i've seen for the car say its a ball-bearing turbo, while an article in the newest SCC says its a non-ball bearing IHI turbo. in the article it seems the author got to talk with some "high-ups" at mazda so it leaves me a little confused as to which specification is right.

anyway, power seems pretty good: SCC got 152 hp at the wheels and 143 foot-pounds of torque. (A 2002 Miata LS they tested got 112 hp at the wheels and 105 foot pounds of torque).

an even more impressive number they got was on the skidpad: the mazdaspeed miata pulled .96g's!

it seems though that the car is geared a little too short. you can only get to 48 mph in second gear.

what do you all think of the price? $25k?

with that kind of money you could build a much faster first-gen miata or even be able to afford a second-gen and still be able to make it way faster.

but i also think mazda left the mazdaspeed miata corked for reliability issues. looking at the specs, this car looks like it could easily make a bunch more power with just a boost controller and maybe a fuel system upgrade. it is only running 8psi afterall.

oh yeah, the mazdaspeed miata weighs in at 2,529 pounds (about 300 more than a first gen) so thats something to think about.

I'm lovin' it...yea the gear's might be short, but you don't REALLY need long gears for drifting or auto-x, you need powerful one's and.96 G's seems pretty powerful to me. I really like what they've done w/ it and i think a base model one will only run like 19k??? throw away all the options and jus keep the motor and you got one heck of a miata...

Comment

They should have kept it under 20, make it compete with the srtgay

Comment

19K would be great but the base Mazdaspeed Miata is $25,500 and theres only like one option, leather seats, which brings the total up to $26,200.

you think another reason mazda kept the horsepower at the level its at is because anymore would take away sales from the RX-8?

Comment

Mazdaspeed Miata slide...
          Attached Files

Comment

Every car looks better when it is being DRIVEN. But I still don't like that one. Id prefer no intercooler to the chipmunk tooth one. Ppl already call it a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* car. Come on Mazda. You did good with the rx-8 (and even the mazda 6), now let's apply some of that aggressive styling to the other cars.

Oh, BTW, Ive had 3 mx-5s, and I love the miata, so Im not a miata hater. Im just a hater of that 2"X2" intercooler.

Comment

the intercooler is on the small side but according to SCC it achieves 75 percent cooling efficiency.

Comment

In black with the hard top it, would look perfect. I think its awsome, and that little intercooler is an easy fix.

Comment

what do you all think of the price? $25k?
                  great price considering a couple of years ago LS miata's were around 27,000 new.

ive got a friend who just traded his special edition in for a mazda speed. not worth it to me ill just spend a couple of grand, piece me up a turbo kit and be done w/ it. i would rather have more than 5.? lbs. of boost anyway.

as far as the .96 g's.........DAMN!! ls's do a .89 i dont know what my sport model will do if it was stock but thats pretty impressive for a stock car!!

two thumbs up to mazda even if they put an intercooler in that thing the size of most peoples oil or tranny coolers.

Comment

Working...
                  X