No announcement yet.

Info on the Drifting El Camino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are going ahead and preping the Caballero for the Formula D event in June. We have a list of things we'll be doing to it that will hopefully allow me to become more competitive in it. One item worth noting is we'll be replacing all the rotted out body bushings with poly pieces, as there is evidence of significant chassis twist (the stock ladder frame is very weak in torsion). The roll bar should help a bit, too. As for body roll, the photo above shows about the extent of it. There really isn't that much roll, certainly not enough to worry about. The current suspension setup works well, and we really don't have any reason to change it.

Since the Caballero will never see anything but an auto transmission, we'll use the space to the left of the brake pedal for an e-brake pedal. This should prove interesting on two accounts - 1, the Caballero doesn't currently have a functional e-brake so I'll need some practice to make good use of it, and 2, using a foot-pedal for e-brake application may prove to be especially effective since I won't have to remove my hands from the steering wheel. We'll see how it works out. . . .

The school bus-like steering speed will also be addressed

We're looking forward to the Formula D event. We don't know how well we'll do, but the crowd reaction it gets always adds to the fun

Comment

How's the car handle the heat? If you do good you'll have to make more than 1 run so you wanna make sure that the radiator, transmission fluid, engine oil, and power steering fluid all stay good and cool in the Texas heat.

Comment

heh nice car man , and nice dori skillz! Lol a friend of mine is your biggest fan. Lol Hes got and old el camino that he wants me to drift for him but i told him i wouldnt, cause i wouldnt want to hurt his car. I mean its in awesome shape but i wouldnt want to put that kinda stress on his suspension.

* edit* hey evans i sent ya a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami
          How's the car handle the heat? If you do good you'll have to make more than 1 run so you wanna make sure that the radiator, transmission fluid, engine oil, and power steering fluid all stay good and cool in the Texas heat.
          The El Camino has a huge radiator and a mechanical fan - it never never comes close to overheating no matter how hard it's driven. It's really no harder on the fluids than any other drift car. The trans fluid does raise a little concern though, even though it does have a tranmission fluid to coolant heat exchanger. Among the planned modifications is installing a supplemental transmission cooler, but other than that, the thing is a tank. The El Camino can be hot-lapped all day long without issue.

Comment

Working...
          X