New to drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to drifting

Hey everyone I'm new to drifiting or sliding, but I was in the market for a RWD car. I know I should check the classifieds, but here's the question I pose...Which car that is usually fairly cheap, good for drifting, and has good parts market and reliability with it. Because I want to get into this and at the moment I have a FWD, which is slowly turing into a track car, but besides that I want a decent car to slide around in and also possible commuting to work and school. Any suggestions would be helpful I have looked at many cars so please don't flame just need some guidance cause I don't want to spend more money then I need to, I'm a poor college student who loves this hobby. Thanks for all the help.

Anyone? Well after looking around I am thinking about a 3 series BMW coupe...if anyone could chime in and give me some ideas that would be great thanks.

Comment

id probably tell you that A Nissan 240sx is the way to go ..... you can probably find some fairly cheap and in very good condition around the neighborhood and plus if you dont want to go all out the stock KA24DE is a nice powerful engine with good torque 2.4 litres and 150hp is just enough to get the tires spinning and plus if you blow the KA they're Very Cheap (if around 400 dollars is cheap to you)
      Last edited by Drift IT; 05-09-2004, 01:56 AM.

Comment

3 series BIMMER damm if you have the money go for it
        but you shouldnt use that. Your car is most likly gonna get scratched, and you dont want scratches on a bimmer.
        Since you are still learning you should go for a 240sx like he said.
        They are cheap, and if you want to get modifications for it they ar kinda cheap compare to other cars. If you get better and like this sport you could go for a better car, but its all up to you.

Comment

Yeah, sorry for any misconceptions but I was looking at a 1985 to maybe a 1991 3 Series. Definetly not a newer one because like one of you said its gonna get scratches and what not. Plus insurance etc etc. But I also looking and 240's at the moment and there about the same price as a good condition BMW 3 series. But any other ideas would help me out thanks again for the replies.

Comment

yea a older one is ok
            you might also wanna look at a older Rx7-1992 and down
            they wont be to expensive. In case you didnt know they are rotarys and their engine might need to get rebuild.

Miata would be good

Comment

Get what you want to get. If you want to get a bimmer than go for it. I personally like the Bimmers and they look good. Don't know how they drive but if you want to be good then you need to adapt your style to any car you get in. The parts are not as bad as you think for the older Bimmers but they are still more expensive and harder to source than the 240's are.

FC's are great too. They are cheap, Turbos are a little more expensive than what you should pay for a starter car but they are good cars to get. They are a little harder to control, according to the masses, than a 240 but since I haven't slid one, I couldnt tell you.

Just remember, Drifting isn't about what car you have or how much money you have into it. It's about you and your skill. You can slide anything. How good it looks depends on your style and skill. You can't start at the top, you must always start at the bottom. Get something that you will not have to pour money into or wait on hard to find parts. Everytime you do, you take away from "you" time. Trust me, I know this. My car is a siphon of money, time and sanity. But in the end, it's all worth it to me cause it rules.
              Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 05-09-2004, 11:14 AM.

Comment

All of that is true, but at the moment I'm just looking around testing cars and seeing what feels good to me. The looks aren't as important besides extreme rusting, but basically I want to find a car that feels right when I drive it. I tried a Datsun 280zx the other day, its alright but for a 79' its got its problems. Suspension seems a bit loose, gonna try out these 3 Series and see how they feel. Then prolly look into the 240's and RX-7's. Thanks for all your help guys if you have anything else to add to this that would be awsome.

Comment

I'm currently driving an 86 3 series.

Positives: Plenty of power, AMAZING handling, awesomely fun to drive.

Negatives: So far had to do a lot of maintence due to age of car. Somewhat expensive parts. A lot of the the work is a pain in the a$$ from hard to get to bolts.

Comment

Awesome info, thanks for letting me know, any other problems you thought were the worst.

Comment

Working...
                    X