4Runner Drifting, Is it possible???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4Runner Drifting, Is it possible???

I'm about to pick up a first generation 4runner with a 5spd for dirt cheep. I've heard about trucks drifting, so I thought, why not a 4runner. With the topper off, its just like a pickup with a rear rollbar. Ive seen sites with rear sway bars along with other suspension parts such as shocks and bushings and the parts are pretty cheap. I figure if I picked up some 15" rims with lo pro tires, and upgraded the suspension i might be able to pull off drifting it. If youve got any info about truck drifting, suv drifting or places i could score parts, or just any comments, post a message. Thanks.

Get the center of gravity low. and get the suspension stiff. And have fun

Comment

yeah low center of gravity...you dont want to flip over

Comment

I've done it in a '98 RWD 4Runner Limited... sort of. I'm sure you could do it easily in the dirt, especially if it's loose. You should really only have a problem flipping it on pavement.

Comment

Sell it and buy a car.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy
            Sell it and buy a car.
            hes looking for information on drifting what he has. or else he would have said, "i have a first generation 4runner that i want to sell so i can drift, what car should i buy after?".

go for it dude, does it have a v8 or a v6? itll be a beast if u pull it off.

Comment

I cant buy a car really due to insurance. I wrecked my supra turbo about 6 months ago and i got a careless from that. My parents wont pay my insurance in a car, only larger vehicle like a truck, otherwise id get an 86 or 240.

Comment

Originally posted by 4runnerdrifter
                I cant buy a car really due to insurance. I wrecked my supra turbo about 6 months ago and i got a careless from that. My parents wont pay my insurance in a car, only larger vehicle like a truck, otherwise id get an 86 or 240.
                Check out the minitruck boards. See what you can do about dropping it.. And getting the suspension stiffer. Honestly there is little reason why you cant drift it. get it low, get it stiff, get its weight down (best you can.. hard on a truck) and get your self a manual.. i started on a auto, however you already have weight and the fact that its an unusual vehichle against you. Dont need the tranny to make it tougher!

Comment

yeah...its totally possible...i helped my friend fix his bronco and he takes it out when we go drifting...and i totally support more toyotas drifting...hollah!! hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                    Check out the minitruck boards. See what you can do about dropping it.. And getting the suspension stiffer. Honestly there is little reason why you cant drift it. get it low, get it stiff, get its weight down (best you can.. hard on a truck) and get your self a manual.. i started on a auto, however you already have weight and the fact that its an unusual vehichle against you. Dont need the tranny to make it tougher!
                    Well seeing how you are stuck with it. 24 has some good points. I would also try to weld in some bracing members in side of the truck. That should help stiffen it up and do all the stuff that you can also do to a car.

Comment

i have a 89 toyota pickup with about 100hp (22r 2.4L) with a 4 speed manual which wieghs about 4400lbs, i really need to lighten the thing up BAD, you think if i took off the bed completely it would drift right? Another thing should i even bother with the truck? it was my first car and its reliable and parts are dirt cheap but the wieght and the overal look (its painted camo) are jus not happenin.

Comment

Fixing a truck to drift would cost so much. 4Runner, come on now, you could get a dope FC or S-13 or somethin for probably way less.

Comment

Yeah its possible. I dont think you would flip unless you hit a solid object while sliding like a curb. Pretty hard to flip a car/truck/van on its own you know. I know someone that used to drift a stock suspension 96 Blazer on the mountain hardcore, and he finally did flip it, but only after going off the road and hitting some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                            Yeah its possible. I dont think you would flip unless you hit a solid object while sliding like a curb. Pretty hard to flip a car/truck/van on its own you know. I know someone that used to drift a stock suspension 96 Blazer on the mountain hardcore, and he finally did flip it, but only after going off the road and hitting some stuff.
                            Sounds like you've never driven a 4runner...those things are high. They feel like they're just waiting to jump on their backs just driving like a normal human being, trying to put that thing sideways just has bad idea written ALL over it. If this kid is still trying to get mommy and daddy to pay for his insurance maybe he shouldn't be trying to get nuts in a car, didn't that cross anybody's mind yet? Wait until you're mature enough to move out and pay for your own *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* before you start trying to ruin things.

Comment

You're right I've never driven one. But if its possible in a Blazer its probably possible in a 4Runner. I'm not saying its a great idea but it is possible. Then I was sure to mention the part about him flipping the Blazer so yeah... if it sounds like a good idea at that point then your crazy like me.

Comment

Working...
                              X