No announcement yet.

what is the cheapest FR car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a mustang 5.0 try to drift at the Miami Drift Showoff and it just did not look right. The person that was Driving the Stang I will give props to for the fact that he was out there and Trying but, when I Saw that 5.0 try and drift it had a hard time getting sideways cause I think the suspension needed to be tighter and there was more power than suspension work. I am not saying that anyone wanting to Drift should not buy a Domestic RWD and learn but, I am saying if you are gonna buy one do the suspension first.

Comment

From my experience, the wrong tire setup can make or break a drift session. Believe it or not, stock suspension is usually good enough to drift. But the wrong tire setup can make it all go wrong. Here is a pic of me drifting my Camaro with stock suspension + $100 panhard bar, stock motor, and stock rearend. This is the car I was talking about ($3,300 into everything).

Comment

I would say that you are gettin slideways in that pic. About the tires as well you are right I forgot to mention that. I was watching in Miami and it looked like that 5.0 was rolling way to much and gripping alot.

Comment

go spend under a thousand for a AE70 Corrolla (1980 1981), or some other junker rwd car. If your going to use it to learn, then who cares what happens WHEN you crash. All your money will go to tires anyway.
          Last edited by swifty949; 06-07-2004, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Learn to drive. Don't even attempt to slide until you got many miles under your rear end in regular driving mode. Sorry to say but you ain't old enough to shoulder the responsibility of a slider. Most people end up trying something on the street and then whammo, you either get a ticket, dead or crashed and hurt someone else.

88 Corolla's are FWD btw.

I don't know, but try an old corolla(pre-1980), an old Datsun 510, or a Miatia. lemme see what else....you could try a classic Porsche 911(early 70's). just look around. maybe a BMW E30 M3, Alfa Romeo GTA or GTV(complete drool!!!). I'm looking into a 240Z just because I like the car and the way it looks and all. I've heard it slides better with a LSD installed instead of the stock viscous unit. if it doesn't, I'm probably going to get it anyway because it looks good, I like the car, and from what I hear, it does handle well.
            The only car that you listed in that sentence that really even makes sense as a first car is the Miata. The 911 is too expensive, too hard to work on and if you think a Mustang is hard to slide, that 911 is probably one of the hardest. The M3 falls there to in expense. For god's sakes if he's thinking he's going to have trouble locating parts for a Mustang, try and even source a Dist cap for that GTV or GTA unless you are in the know. The 240z is a great car but not a great first car. He doesn't need anything that he is going to have to constantly tinker with. His parents are not going to get him anything that A, is pre 90's B carbeurated or C rapes them or him on insurance. And all those cars hit that mark except the Miata.

A domestic car is an excellent idea. Especially in these times of import big brother. The law is watching the imports alot more now than the domestics, so if you are trying to lay low, domestic is the way to go. And at your age, laying low is the best thing that you can do. Don't get eliminated.

Comment

Besides alot of people over look the v6 stangs and camaros.. Sure the drag racer guys may not consider it cool. But the cops will ignore you even more.. the insurance will be even lower. and im sure your gas millage wont be bad.. and at the end of the day you still have plenty of displacement to make decent power with..

and CH.. that camaro looks awesome drifting..

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                Learn to drive. Don't even attempt to slide until you got many miles under your rear end in regular driving mode. Sorry to say but you ain't old enough to shoulder the responsibility of a slider. Most people end up trying something on the street and then whammo, you either get a ticket, dead or crashed and hurt someone else.

88 Corolla's are FWD btw.

The only car that you listed in that sentence that really even makes sense as a first car is the Miata. The 911 is too expensive, too hard to work on and if you think a Mustang is hard to slide, that 911 is probably one of the hardest. The M3 falls there to in expense. For god's sakes if he's thinking he's going to have trouble locating parts for a Mustang, try and even source a Dist cap for that GTV or GTA unless you are in the know. The 240z is a great car but not a great first car. He doesn't need anything that he is going to have to constantly tinker with. His parents are not going to get him anything that A, is pre 90's B carbeurated or C rapes them or him on insurance. And all those cars hit that mark except the Miata.

A domestic car is an excellent idea. Especially in these times of import big brother. The law is watching the imports alot more now than the domestics, so if you are trying to lay low, domestic is the way to go. And at your age, laying low is the best thing that you can do. Don't get eliminated.

I was just listing cars I would like to own. the 911 is not to expensive(one can be had for about the same as a 240Z) and it isn't to hard to get the rear end out. the trick is to keep it from coming around. remember it is RR so all that weight plus the old suspension does make it succeptable to sliding. and then think if he stiffes up the suspension. the insurance on a 240Z shouldn't be all that bad either, it is a Nissan, it's 30 years old, and the average price is below $3000.

ROCK.

Comment

(so why would we be giving this kid advice on drifting when he doesnt even know how to drive yet?! he needs to learn how to control a car while driving normally before he can go and think hes takumi fujiwara drifting an 86 on his culdesac.)

thanks for that amazing advice but i dont plan on doing anything stupid for at least 5 months. you also missed an important thing. i did not say i needed a car to drift with as soon as possible but whatever. i will probably be able to locate any of those cars because my uncle lives near a gigantic car auction. he has "ways" of getting great cars. im happy everyone has been helpful but still......no supra information. miata would not happen to be rotary because i hear any repairs on a rotary engine are very expensive.

Comment

Well if you are finding 911's for 3000 then let's go into busines together and make money. You may find 912's or 914's for that price but I doubt that you will find a running, good shape 911 for that. The 12's are 4 cylinders as are the 14's. 65 or 66 was the first year of the 911's. Don't feel like looking it up. There was a year that they made them both in the same year. Mine was a 66 with a 67 S motor in it.
                    It was decently fast with the triple weber's on it. It was oh so lite. As for getting the rear end to break loose, it was super hard. Most that I see run large tires on the back, so that combined with the weight in the rear end, makes it super hard to slide em. But when they do slide, watch out. They come around hella fast. The longer wheel base 911's from the 70's may be different but you won't find a suitable candidate for under 10k. They also snap back on you sort of like an FF. At least mine did.

Now the Z's are a different story. 240z's are going way up in value so finding one for 3k is going to be a little more difficult. 260's and 280Z's are more readily available. The ZX's are everywhere. You can find a 240 that needs pans and the requisite battery rust fix but I wouldn't tust it as a slider with all that structural damage. So if you find one for 3k, you are going to add at least 1k in bodywork and suspension to it to get it slidable. Also let's not forget those pesky SU carbs on those things. If you want to add a set of Triple webers to it you are looking at 1400 for the carbs new and then you need the manifold, if they don't come with it, and add 30 bucks a pop for filters and you are into the 1800 buck range. I found a set for my 260 with everything for 1000 used.

Fixing up old cars is not near as easy as new ones. Sure you can find a great deal on one sometimes but there's a reason for that. Older cars need much more work to get them into shape to do the super maneuvers that you all want to do. Also, older car means less parts and more expense.

But man oh man, do I agree with you on the GTV. Drool is right. Did you know that Callaway made twin turbo versions of those? I rode in one. A guy in Athens Ga has one, uses it to take his dog to the park. He used to bring it to a garage that we all hung out at to get it worked on. God that thing was a monster.

Also, no, the Miata is not Rotary unless you want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by blargonator
                      (so why would we be giving this kid advice on drifting when he doesnt even know how to drive yet?! he needs to learn how to control a car while driving normally before he can go and think hes takumi fujiwara drifting an 86 on his culdesac.)

thanks for that amazing advice but i dont plan on doing anything stupid for at least 5 months. you also missed an important thing. i did not say i needed a car to drift with as soon as possible but whatever. i will probably be able to locate any of those cars because my uncle lives near a gigantic car auction. he has "ways" of getting great cars. im happy everyone has been helpful but still......no supra information. miata would not happen to be rotary because i hear any repairs on a rotary engine are very expensive.
                      Miatas are pistons.. as for the rotary repairs just depends..the 13B-REWs (like ghost's FD) is a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* i hear.. but the earlier rotarys are alot more simple.

Comment

if miatas are pistons! then i have something new to look into because i dont think my dad knows how to work with a rotary engine. also a two seater would be a plus. i wish i could get one of those new roadsters from japan because it is just a miata that is not a convertible. is there any generation of miatas to look for or just in general?

Comment

if miatas are pistons! then i have something new to look into because i dont think my dad knows how to work with a rotary engine. also a two seater would be a plus. i wish i could get one of those new roadsters from japan because it is just a miata that is not a convertible. is there any generation of miatas to look for or just in general?
                          theres the first and second gen miata. they changed to a 1.8 liter engine from a 1.6 liter engine in 94 (i think. help mazadaguy_24) they went to a new body style in 98, the second gen.. there was no 97.. They are similar though.. the later models are slightly heavier.. get a first gen, there alot cheaper.

Comment

thanks for that amazing advice but i dont plan on doing anything stupid for at least 5 months.
                            listen kid you need to be driving for more than five months. what are you stupid? you think your going to learn everything there is about controling your car normally in five months? you dont have a drivers license and you dont know how to drive a car. you dont need any information on learning how to drift. learn how to drive first. otherwise your just going to end up as one of those statistical 16 year olds that barely got their license, that tried to drift on GMR and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing killed yourself and the 30 people on the tourbus you ran into on your way off the cliff. *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*!

Comment

i think a st8 car would be a miata 1st its rwd + there pretty light and the 1.8 should be pretty economical
                              Attached Files

Comment

then i will check out miatas. but about that safety thing by stupid i mean burning out in parking lots, messing with the e-brake in parking lots, and etc. and i do plan on following nissan 20somethings great directions. another thing is there are not cliffs in my city or tri-city area hahahaha. but i do understand that drifting is a controlled thing and not a hit or miss type deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X