This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C&D article: PONTIAC GTO DRIFTER

I was just reading thru my dad's latest issue (July 2004) of "Car and Driver" magazine and found this article covering Rhys Millens drift machine. It made me laugh... hahaha! Civic haters/FR drift purists will love this. (PONTIAC GTO DRIFTER: The GTO may be soon be revered for something other than drag racing. By Larry Webster)

Check out this quote:

[QUOTE]
    Last February, in front of a sold-out crowd 10,000 at Southern California's Irwindale Speedway, Pontiac entered its first drifting event with a GTO. Although it likely hoped for warm welcome from the youngish spectators, that didn't happen. Instead, "We got booed," says the car's driver, Rhys Millen.

But what should Pontiac have expected? Drifting is the country's newest motorsport, and most of the fans are the same enthusiasts who think it's cool to spend 50 grand hopping up a Honda Civic that --even when modified-- can't outrun a Corvette. The $33,495 GTO is a classic V-8 powered, rear-drive domestic pony car from a Western conglomerate. It's in sharp contrast to the front-drive sport compacts the fans would have likely arrived in. Pontiac invaded their turf.
    [\QUOTE]

"...think it's cool to spend 50 grand hopping up a Honda Civic that --even when modified-- can't outrun a Corvette."

Not as cool as a modified Skyline or Supra that can smoke & burn a Corvette anyday, chump!

Repost.

Comment

this is the other thread

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=5158

Comment

Working...
      X