Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 Rule, OEM Uni-body Structure

listed in the "Authorized Modifications"

1. Each car must maintain the OEM uni-body structure, pipe frame extensions and replacements are not allowed.

does that mean that trucks can't compete?? (since they arent unibody)

also, wouldnt that also exclude tons of american muscle cars? (which are built on a frame, not utilizing unibody construction)

i think thats a little too far ahead thinking though. might as well mean OEM body structure. Do they even have any non unibody cars in Japan? was that translated directly over from Japanese D1 rules?

Comment

The way I would take that would be that you cant change the OEM body or frame, such as you couldn't put an old camaro body on a truck frame or something like that.

I know that the El Camino shares the frame with a Monte Carlo, so as long as you kept the OEM body on the OEM frame, all *should* be ok.

Also, in the case of Sam and Tarzan's Vipers, they come with that crazy tube frame from the factory, so technically it is OEM as well...

yes? no?

Comment

yeah, but it's not utilizing uni-body construction. when I intrepret the D1 rules, to me it implies that only uni-body cars can be used (as those are the only cars referenced by the rules).

it doesnt say cars must maintain stock chassis/frame/unibody construction (and thus allowing the viper and trucks or pretty much anything that is still a factory chassis).

anyhow, this isnt an attempt to not allow the tube framed viper (although that car does have an advantage), but moreso I would like to know what's actually allowed.

seems like this rule implies no drift trucks, no frame based cars, no tube frame cars.

Comment

reason being, cars with full frames arent intended to drift. way to much weight to safely through around uncontrolably. thats why i think its like that, plus i dont think a framed car has been made in japan for 30 years, all unibodies.<~~~most likely wrong with that last statement, but all the lightweight cars i have seen that are intended to drift have a unibody/subframe but no true solid frame with rails runing the length of the car and what not.

i dunno, just how i interprit those rules.

Comment

frame cars are not necessarily heavy, the El Camino weighs in at about 3200lbs, which isn't bad at all (but it also has a 55/45 distribution cuz of no weight in the back)

I think it is partially like you said, they just have those rules because there arent any frame cars left in japan. But here there are frame cars, so I imagine the rules are different in that aspect...

Comment

i didnt say anything about being heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by clay payton
                i didnt say anything about being heavy.
                hes talking bout myk

Comment

yeah I was talkin about the other guy

But seriously, I think that they just have that rule because in Japan a frame car would most likely have to be custom, but here in the states, they are relatively abundant...

Comment

I say ban the VIPER... BAN THEM!!!

Matt.

Comment

i think they just have this rule so they dont have tube framed cars and vehicles that are "fake" ie: purpose built drift/race cars

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                        I say ban the VIPER... BAN THEM!!!

Matt.
                        I was just thinking about that.... u know the viper just doesn't seem fair for some reason... it's cool and all but it just almost seems purpose built

Comment

I guess that means all the cars in the D1 shud b disqualified since they are all purpose built to drift
                          Last edited by MrodDrft; 06-18-2004, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrodDrft
                            I guess that means all the cars in the D1 shud b disqualified since they are all purpose built to drift
                            Those cars were not built as race cars,just daily drivers.The CC Viper came off the line as a race car,it's not even allowed on the street.Eitheir way Sam cannot enter D1 with that Viper.If they were to allow him to enter D1 with a tube fram,he'd still not be allowed to run because a( the car is not street legal b) the car has no cats and c) the CC Viper has no turn signals(that I know of) .Right now the CC Viper violates four regulations in D1.If Sam wants to compete in D1,Mopar better give the guy a GTS to work with,or he'll have to stay confined to Formula D.

Comment

it has turn signals

Comment

Working...
                              X