DRIFT Cars (COST)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIFT Cars (COST)

No, this is not a "Hey guys, I'm a newbie jumping on the bandwagon so anywayz I want to no how much $$ a new drift car costs" thread.

What this thread really is about is the prices of previously affordable drift cars. Before I was serious about buying a 240SX, before the fad began, that is, one could pick a nice one up for no more than $2500. Now there are people trying to pawn off junkheaps with screwed up bodies and crap paint for $3500+. I don't even want to talk about the SR20DET-swapped cars... I wonder if the owners realize that in California they can be sued for the full price of smog legalization. (Yes, that means they can be sued for an engine swap back to KA, labor inclusive) Granted, there are the diamonds in the rough, owned by people not influenced by the current drifting trends... however most are automatics. Also, many charge a premium due to simple modifications or visual mods. Guys, mods have never added much to a car's price, maybe a 10-25% increase in normal price would be right. Instead, there are S13s with Silvia front ends and KAs for sale at $6000.
    Examples of charging way too much: '91 240SX w/SR20DET and mods
    And another
    And... another

240s are bad, but AE86s are the worst. You can get a basketcase for $2500, and it just gets worse. $3500 for decent condition? $4000 for good condition? Uh, what? Has the world gone mad? These are rather primitive cars that dyno at about 95rwhp. Why on earth are they worth that much? Initial D and the current drifting fad.
    How about an AE86 for $8500?

Even if one were to find that diamond in the rough, most likely he or she would be outbid by ex-ricers/trust fund babies with deep pockets. (It's happened to me twice so far.) The cars probably won't last through the year.

Bottom line: Drifting's popularity is not nice to drifters who want a car, especially in Southern California. Keep searching, and keep hoping. That, and offer reasonable amounts for cars... maybe you can get the sellers to back down their price.

Theres a market for it... I wish I could have a hand me down 80s Corolla that I could sell to young teens that think they are gonna bust out a mad d0ri by buying this heap for 50% mark-up value. I dig it, just looks like you poked your foot in the door a little to late. So basically it comes down to, you gotta pay to play.

Granted it does suck...but there are good prices out there. Just gotta find em =)

Comment

dude, i know the guy that sells that levin, it's an actual RHD levin, please find more info before you get to doing things. www.autoconxion.com

Comment

for the big markups you should check out www.modifiedcartrader.com

Comment

supply and demand my friend. if you wanna go be a good samaritin ( awful spelling i know ) go ahead and get a 240sx and sell it for kbb prices. i for one will take as much as i can get for my car and thats just being honest. people ARE selling there cars for the price they ask and to be honest who wouldnt rather sell their car for more money. I was lucky and picked up and 85 gts coupe in decent condition for 1300 bucks, but when im done with it im going to sell it for much more and someone will buy it. Money makes the world go round and theres not much we can do about it.

Comment

$3300 for everything and its on the track drift ready. I paid blue book for the car too. Domestics are cheap!

Comment

how can be some one paying up to 10 grand for a cheap 240 with an sr20 sound stuped i got my FC with the engine bloe for 300 bucks and 500bucks for another junk yard fc with an Tll engine,trainny,wiring and ecu,infini tokico susp. and 4 piston brakes.....you just need to look arround. thats it...

Comment

Originally posted by twcfc3s
                bloe
                blown

Comment

and im thinking to spend like 5 grand ,and i ill be able to be at the D1 with over 380hp...

Comment

you can get here a red gts COUPE with no seats just for lik 500bucks

Comment

DriftinCressida- The car is overpriced. He listed mods... and they don't add that much to the car's price. It's only a Mid-Eighties Toyota product, for God's sake. PS- Is it even street legal?

Anyway, it was just a rant about the current state of affairs. If my car weren't an absolute junkheap, I'd keep it until the drifting fad blows over and prices go back down.

Comment

Re: Costs of "Drift" Cars

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                        No, this is not a "Hey guys, I'm a newbie jumping on the bandwagon so anywayz I want to no how much $$ a new drift car costs" thread.

What this thread really is about is the prices of previously affordable drift cars. Before I was serious about buying a 240SX, before the fad began, that is, one could pick a nice one up for no more than $2500. Now there are people trying to pawn off junkheaps with screwed up bodies and crap paint for $3500+. I don't even want to talk about the SR20DET-swapped cars... I wonder if the owners realize that in California they can be sued for the full price of smog legalization. (Yes, that means they can be sued for an engine swap back to KA, labor inclusive) Granted, there are the diamonds in the rough, owned by people not influenced by the current drifting trends... however most are automatics. Also, many charge a premium due to simple modifications or visual mods. Guys, mods have never added much to a car's price, maybe a 10-25% increase in normal price would be right. Instead, there are S13s with Silvia front ends and KAs for sale at $6000.
                        Examples of charging way too much: '91 240SX w/SR20DET and mods
                        And another
                        And... another

240s are bad, but AE86s are the worst. You can get a basketcase for $2500, and it just gets worse. $3500 for decent condition? $4000 for good condition? Uh, what? Has the world gone mad? These are rather primitive cars that dyno at about 95rwhp. Why on earth are they worth that much? Initial D and the current drifting fad.
                        How about an AE86 for $8500?

Even if one were to find that diamond in the rough, most likely he or she would be outbid by ex-ricers/trust fund babies with deep pockets. (It's happened to me twice so far.) The cars probably won't last through the year.

Bottom line: Drifting's popularity is not nice to drifters who want a car, especially in Southern California. Keep searching, and keep hoping. That, and offer reasonable amounts for cars... maybe you can get the sellers to back down their price.
                        i don't agree with you. your prices for the ae86 are pretty outrageous. have you been doing any research in your local newspaper or websites? i live in san fran and the most i've seen an ae86 for is 4500 and it had an engine swap with some aftermarket pats. I've recently seen sum 86' corollas for 800 buck a piece and the person has 2 of them.

Comment

Actually, I was quoted those prices for absolute crapboxes. However, I should've said specifically Corolla GT-S. $2500 for one which was pink from over-exposure to the sun and $3500 for one which was simply craptastic. Look in Club4AG's classifieds for GT-S and you'll find tons of overpriced GT-Ss. In fact, here are the asking prices on the first page: $3300, $3500, $7500, $4900, $3500, and $3000.

The KBB private-party value (zip 92028) on an excellent 100k mile 1985 Corolla GT-S is $1,355. The KBB PPV (zip 92028) on an excellent 100k mile 1986 Corolla GT-S is $1,430. Am I the only one seeing these problems?

Speaking of KBB, let's do some KBB-ing of 240s. Excellent 100k mile 1991 240SX hatch, 5spd:
                          base- $2,605
                          SE- $2,690
                          LE- $2,695
                          1992 Hatch, 100k and Excellent:
                          base- $2,875
                          SE-$2,985
                          LE- $2,965
                          1993 Hatch, 100k and Excellent:
                          base- $3,140
                          SE- $3,305
                          1991 Coupe, 100k and Excellent:
                          base- $2,555
                          SE- $2,665
                          1992 Coupe, 100k and Excellent:
                          base- $2,800
                          SE- $2,935
                          1993 Coupe, 100k and Excellent:
                          base- $3,090
                          SE- $3,230

Comment

this thread is worthless. if you went out and looked you'd find a good price.

my 93 240 was stock and flawless when i got it. 900 bucks.

Comment

If I went out and looked? Are you kidding me? What do you think I do, stand on my street corner and just hope a 240 will pass by with a "For Sale" sign on its window?

I've been looking in AutoTrader, Craigslist, eBay, and the for sale threads of about six forums for about three or four months now.

Comment

Working...
                              X