do a lot of people drive with a sr20 illegally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FD3S_pilot
    WTF?! the Sr20det r illegal shxt then y the hell r ppls selling them to everyone when they know it's illegal. what about the RB25det? 13b-rev?20b?(the last two r mazdas engines for those non-mazda peps)
    You may want to read the fine print on any receipt you get from an engine dealer/wholesaler when you buy one of those. They clearly state that said engine is for off-road/race use only. Hell, go pick up 90% of aftermarket parts and they say that. The Profec box has a sticker that you can't help but read before opening the box (it holds it together)... It states that the product is for vehicles that will never see a public highway. Its not illegal to sell them... It is, however, illegal to use them in a way that the fine print clearly tells you not to, i.e. drive on public roads instead of a closed race track.

Try to remember it this way; its not illegal to trailer your (insert almost any JDM-spec non-emission controlled engine here)-powered cars to Buttonwillow and drive it like you stole it... It is illegal to drive your car to your Uncle Bob and Aunt Mary's house for tea and cookies.

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
    Someone is gunning for my job
    Last edited by ChokudoriS13; 06-25-2004, 06:42 AM.

Comment

my SR is most likely illegal. No cat, no emissions gizmos and not to mention the motor was not ment for the american 240. But hey I live in South Dakota no one here checks so I don't tell. i know california residents have strict emission standards so I think most SRs in california are defnitively illegal but oh well right. Really if you look at it from the law stand point most -not all ,most-of the things we do to our cars are illegal.

Comment

how do people get to thorugh smog and emissions

Comment

Money. Some crooked smog smops will pass you although you may have a completely illegal engine or not even pass smog at all, provided you pony up the dough.

But then, what happens when you're pulled over and the cop looks under the hood? You have to go to a smog ref, who will promptly fine you and tell you to put your engine back in.

Comment

sr

Ill have my redtop in 4 days! legal or not!

Comment

The question you should be asking is "Who drives with a SR20DET legally".

Comment

there is a way to make the SR legal. i had a link on this loophole ( it's for the Californian emission standards too). It said something about installing the correct smog equipment and going to a ref (can't remember where, something like the E-check building) and it if passes, you can legaly drive around in an S15 SR if you have the money, hell, you could even get an RB legalized if i am right.

Comment

Originally posted by grift
                  i know california residents have strict emission standards
                  yea dude. everyone says puttin an aftermarket turbo into your vehicle isn't legal to drive on teh roads. but they still do it so, HAH IN YOUR FACE! GOVNA AHNOD!! (or whoever does the the department of transportation) *ahem*

Comment

This really depends on what state you're in.

Texas I know for a fact doesn't really take apart your motor to see if it's DOT certified. As long as you pass emissions, they don't really care. As far as CA, I don't know. I know it's not legal in Texas to do a motor swap of this sort, but it's not "illegal." And with the way Texas is, it's not necessarily legal either.

Anyways,
                    Matt.

Comment

which gives me a great idea. if you live in California, why not drive all the way to Las Vegas to get your smog test passed there. not a mention there are plenty of legal hookers there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brothaman240
                        also, where are you on oki, I use to live there 2 years ago
                        Livin is Awase
                        attending highschool at Kadena

Comment

For motor swaps and what not to be legal. The motor has to be out of a same year or newer model car. Meaning if you have a 1990 240sx...you can't swap in any motor if its 1989 or older. On top of that you must retain all of the motors emmisions systems. As for the SR20DET even though you get a 1997 SR it would be illegal becuase like NissanGuy said it was never sold in the U.S. This isn't just for imports or anything but for all cars. My motor swap would have been legal if I had kept the emmissions...but f**k that c**p haha.

Comment

Yeah, alot of it i buracracy.. i mean they wont even put it on the smog dyno, hell when off boost im sure a sr20 gets better emissions then the KA, with its lower compression ratio and smaller displacement. If you dont like it then grow up, stop whining, call up a lawyer, or your congressmen and legislator and try to change the laws. You have the right to vote for someone who wont listen to you. Thats how things get done in this country.

Democracy isnt quite dead yet so lets put up a good fight shall we?

Comment

I was wondering

If i bought a 110 Mark II
                              got custom interior to make it a lefty
                              got rid of the engine since it isnt legal in the states
                              shipped it did all the legal papers
                              and dropped in an american supra's 2JZ

would it be legal on the street?
                              if so id do IT!
                              id be the only one in the states with a Mk2....unless someone does it first
                              now all i need, is $$$

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24

Democracy isnt quite dead yet so lets put up a good fight shall we?
                                i hear a petition, anyone? (haha fat chance)

Comment

Working...
                                X