This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant retort, Amejin

Bravo! Brilliant response...you MUST be right then, with such a well thought out reply.

My point: no respect begets no respect.

Comment

• Can't we all just get along

Craig - I luv ya bro but there is no need to attack Feint. Yes, I know he is a hater. I know he has taken some shots at you as he has with me but what I am trying to tell everyone here is to be open minded and to share their passion and to forget about the negativity. In the end we all have to live in this sport and culture together.

Yarzan - I've always thought of putting a Pulsar SR 20 in a Civic (doing front wheel drive set up) just for the hell of it. I wonder how many people I would piss off. When that came up in the movie - I totally laughed my *Censored**Censored**Censored* off. Than I thought about it and thought - you know that could be done. It couldn't be any harder than putting a Skyline motor in a Supra a la Top Secret style. It would be a fun project...

Comment

• RJ and Craig,

Since you are both here can you tell us about the features in the next show?

Comment

• Here's a quote from me from page 12 of this thread; it talks a little bit about what's coming up next.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

An opportunity arose to feature JGTC and the sponsors agreed that this was vital. We teased you with it in episode 1, it'll go more in depth in episode 2.

Episode Two: Covers you drifters in your home environment, at Drift Day 15. We talk to Alex and others who are just learning and really explpain just how hard it is.
          We profile three teams, including an RX7 team, last year's champ Ueo and his AE86 car and touch upon the controversy of the GTO entry.
          There's a brief feature on showing what it takes to do a magazine cover car shoot, covering the Sparco Evo 8 in detail.
          There's more JGTC coverage.
          The final segment takes us back to the track to get some performance evaluations of a Supercharged S2000 track car and a street/show/race widebody 800hp Supra.

Trust me: as the season progresses, you'll see aggressive coverage of your favorite drifters, drift cars and top tuner cars tested at the track.

There's also a segment where we cover a drift team as they get ready for the D1GP the next day. It showcases the true effort of what it takes to get ready for a grueling day of abuse.

To my bro RJ: Sorry about attacking Feint, but he had it coming. Every once in awhile, I get tired of being "the bigger guy" and gotta unload on the odd 21 year old that surely must know everything because he's watched a couple of episodes of Initial D.

Comment

• this thread is not about sponsers, who has a right to state their claim to drifting, or what all this attention will do to the sport, this thread is about what we saw in that show. The fact is we didnt see enough of what WE wanted to see. maybe that is due to you thinking everything related to japanese and automotive industry as one catagory you can exploit. Drag, Drift, Road racing, car shows, illegal street racing, etc. might fit in a 2hr dvd or a 200 page mag but for a half an hour show no way.

We wanted a focused drifting and performanced oriented show. I will watch this week and probably next week too with the hope of getting that. You will not get me to settle and be like "at least its getting coverage at all. Without Magnaflow none of this would even happen." B.S. I dont hate sponsers but i try to only support sponsers that represent what i like and want. This is our board to state our opinions one sided or not.

When we found out that APC was sponsoring DriftXtreme we we skeptical and critical untill a drift xtreme member and moderator of this board edjucated us. We know what we like so dont try to make excuses of why you cant deliver it to us.

We will not respect you more because you can drag you car this fast, create a show car this pretty, or make this much money in the process. we will respect you when we see you at a drift practice or competition NEAR US tearing it up.

Comment

• Craig, RJ, Courtney, Redline TV, etc...

First of all, thank you for voicing your opinion... that is what this forum is all about. Even if a bunch of people dislike you for what has happened to the industry in their eyes we all have to admit one thing... Craig... you are a very savvy businessman and we can't take that away from you... but... one thing you said caught my eye... when you said, "you don't see pro drifters handing in their sponsorship checks". 99.9% of the pro drifters in America and in Japan do NOT get sponsorship checks. Usually the sponsorship comes in the way of a percentage price off of cost, or cost on parts. Even very rarely do most of the drifters get parts for free. Only two pro drifters that I know get "checks" for their participation in this sport. Most pro drifters are going to have to sell a kidney or two just to remain in the game.

Also, remember, this site IS drifting.com Almost all of the members are here for DRIFTING and DRIFTING only. Please forgive them if they criticize the show scene or the neon lights and such but the fact of the matter is... they just don't care. The lifestyle you lead and the lifestyle they lead is VERY different. The hardcore drifters are just afraid of a F&F 3 drifting movement that will raise the price of their beloved cars and make the youngsters in this country do stupid things like try to drift their mom's car after watching the movie. I myself witnessed the pandemonium after F&F 1 when after we left the movie theater, it was dangerous to drive on the streets because everyone in a lowered honda was revving on you and drag racing from light to light.

I cannot criticize you on all the bling in the industry because I was a part of it. 4-5 years ago, I had a show crx with neons and wide fender flares with headlight and taillight conversions. I remember going head to head with people like RJ and LJ Garcia. I loved that industry. But that was then, this is now. A new generation of kids and automotive junkies is being brought up on a new concept.

RJ, thank you for input into this. It is always great to see some of the top people in the field of what they do show up and give their opinion on current situations. Just know that to most of the crowd on here, unfortunately, you are the red-headed stepchild. Because of your affiliation with the scene that is the antithesis of what most of the members on here believe it should be... they are going to give you crap. Guilt by association unfortunately.

I myself run one of America's drift teams. Truth of the matter is, if someone offered us a cash sponsorship, we would take it quite gladly. All the people talk about "selling out to the corporate machine". The fact of the matter is, the so called "corporate machine" is already here and imbedded into Drifting. We can either roll with it, or get rolled over by it. I for one will roll with it because running a drift team takes something called... hmm... what do they call that stuff? It's green... and made of paper... oh yeah... MONEY.

BUT... (I love adding "but") I am very heavily involved in grassroot drifting as well. I have attended 5 Drift Days and plan in drifting in as many as I can once I get my motor in my hachi (it's a secret... shhhh). We also have an amateur team that is going to attend most if not all of the grassroot events in our area. My personal goal is not to achieve professional glory... but to drift for fun at the amateur level and improve my driving skills.

So... my final opinion in all this rambling? Craig and RJ, thank you for posting your opinions and insight into everything. Redline TV is our only hope for a decent automotive show on television that our userbase can turn to for info and coverage. They just don't want it to turn into F&F type coverage. Courtney Day... I'm sorry my dear that you got in the crossfires. Again like RJ, guilt by association.

Just as a plea from myself, personally, and I'm sure from the rest of the userbase of drifting.com Let's make sure that Redline TV gets the real coverage, the interviews that count, the products that make the difference, and the indepth information that we as automotive fanatics crave. We don't need fluff, just the good stuff. Bring it, "bring it fast... bring it furious..." hahah sorry I just had to say that.
              Last edited by STFUAD; 07-09-2004, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• I like these recent posts...I don't have time to post all my thoughts but here are the most interesting. Altough, I don't who RJ is but like his attiutude in respect to approaching the subject matter on this thread, both negative and positive. Liberman, has posted some funny comments such
                FYI: In the mid 80's, I was street racing with my Datsun Z cars before any of you ever heard the term "import."
                , and then writting
                If you're dumb enough to participate in illegal activities, you're asking for it.
                This obviously very ignorate because all of us have made this mistake at one point in our lives, even you. Anyhow, I see that your trying to blow off steam but it seems with all this experience you would articulate your thoughts more professionally..

Comment

• Re: Craig, RJ, Courtney, Redline TV, etc...

Originally posted by JasperShowWRX

Just as a plea from myself, personally, and I'm sure from the rest of the userbase of drifting.com Let's make sure that Redline TV gets the real coverage, the interviews that count, the products that make the difference, and the indepth information that we as automotive fanatics crave. We don't need fluff, just the good stuff. Bring it, "bring it fast... bring it furious..." hahah sorry I just had to say that.
                  in a nutshell.

Comment

• JAsper ROCKS!

Awesome comments and feedback...exactly the REAL purpose of this thread. If I may counter on one point, let me offer that discounts and free parts are also sponsorships and the drifters, especially the APC guys, are fully funded for their travel and costs incurred with racing for APC. I'd call that a sponsorship, do you agree?

For my new friend, Silvia Love, you missed the point, bro:
                    My point was that if you participate in illegal activities, you deserve what you get and that it would be silly for me to comment about illegal street racing had I never had actual experiences with it. Please note the comment I made about "I've paid my dues in blood, sweat, experience and traffic tickets." Been there, done that. Never blamed a movie or anyone else for my own actions, though. By the way, I use to smoke, too, k? and while I don't condemn it, I do find it ridiculous when people sue tobacco companies...not taking responsibility for one's own actions is something a little sily to me. Hope I'm a little clearer on that point now.

As for being professional, I have been....but others get to talk trash and cast ignorant assumptions and aspersions? Sorry, I can express my views in response in the same manner as they were projected. If someone is professional and courteous, expect a similar reply. If they talk trash, don't expect a polite, sympathetic response.

Respect begets respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by yarzan
                      the only guy i can remember that really dissagread with the rest of us was that noob audi guy... he was instantly shot down, corrected, and put back in his place.
                      Shot down? Aww sucks for me. I was put in my place by 3 or 4 adolescent forum junkies with no open mind.

Dude, nobody challenged my argument because it's so *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing true. I searched the 1st 10 profiles on this thread and most were born after 1985!!!! Did further searching and found even younger.
                      Some of these comments are pure comedy.

How do you expect any of us to take you guys seriously? You people need to open your minds and lose the ignorance. It's JUST a TV show.

I can't believe myself or even the 2 car gurus RJ and Craig are wasting our time with you guys.
                      Any logical person is going to see the points made by 2 people who have made careers out of this and have proven experience over random young forum whore know it all's.

I'll say it again, just CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

Comment

• to 96AudiBoi

what does drifting mean to you? simple question.

Comment

• Please stay on topic. Use Private Messages or start a new thread if needed.

Comment

• *Clap-Clap* mr Rj. Well Said!

I have my own point of view though.

Personally, I am not lucky enough work around the Automotive Industry, I work in the computer industry. I use driving/Fixing my car and drifting more of a hobby and I love it! I go out (whenever I can) to Qualcomm and participate in that SCCA practice days (the one that you pay 25-50 to race around the cones, cheap i know) and practice drifting (in not going to mention where, but ill just say DriftDay)

Now Im all for it, the fact that the Aftermarket Industry is growing and more parts are being developed is great. But the "by product" of this "cause and effect" is what the majority is worried about. Take a look at the following links.
                            http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...treetrace.html
                            http://www.sacbee.com/content/commun...10834356c.html
                            http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ed...&start=10&sa=N
                            dont tell me that doesn't make you sick. I know it's bad to not race on the streets, but who's trying to set an example? Hollywood with their FnF scene?

I think majority of the people here just wants the truth to be told, without the glamour and "bling, blings". Personally I just want to see Redline TV to show that it's not all about the high-life, fun-times, babes, and money. The real people behind the car is what really matters (my .2cents).

Im just going to add a few examples from other shows.
                            SportsCarRevolution - They have a project Acura and they built and test it all the time. AND the guy from Car&Driver always say not to race on the streets (now that's cool!)

2guysGarage - Always showing good tips on how to TUNE your car right. Take care of it correctly. and what's new in the industry. (well just the basics)

Now if the "GENERAL PUBLIC" (the one that RedLine TV is targeting) was educated (ex: DriftDays, Track Practices, etc) I think they'll be more interested on going out to the track to test their limits thus helping the industry to grow more and help the community at the same time. I think the whole fundamentals of the Import Scene/Tuning will be lost in the pool of news such as above (Bad Media) if there are no examples of these. (Just got an Idea, why not interview some regular joe, thats trying to get their best to become great in racing/drifting).

I dont know about the others, But I hate the fact that im threated as some pimpled teenager just because i drive a modified car (that's been mod the right way) Or looked down by others (others means non-automotive enthusiast) because i dont drive a nice painted car.

my 2 change. That's my opinion and ill stick by it! ha ha

Comment

• Craig, definitely, they are sponsorships and we LOVE them, but if you read my post I was referring to "CASH SPONSORSHIPS". You were talking about "checks". We never get checks, just fantastic product. No worries, you probably just missed that part, it was a big post. Anyways, take care everyone... off to Sonoma for Formula Drift round 3! See you there!
                              Last edited by STFUAD; 07-09-2004, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Now that's what I am talking about...

Thanks for the comments guys. I completely understand where you guys are coming from. I was onced an import junkie who cared for nothing but imports but as I get older and wiser - I start to respect all types of tuning from euro cars to american muscle (which I am finally accepting) to exotic machines. From rally cars to Formula 1 open wheelers to touge monsters. Yes, I am guilty of grouping most things automotive together. I've just seen to many things around this world and shared the passion with so many people - I can't help it. I learn so much from so many different people.

I have to say that some people in this forum are brutal but like I said it's not that I don't understand. I know that this is a drifting site and appauled people for the passion that they embody. Some people just get me so worked up. Sorry to have gone on some off the tread topics. As you'll notice I will be the thorn on everyones side that will ask everyone to look beyond the world that they hold so dear. I truly believe thinking this way will bring about new light. For example I think all road racers should learn and practice drifting and do some go karting and vice versa, as IMHO, this all aids in being better drivers (whatever your main focus is).

To Jasper. Best of luck with the team. You guys bring out some really good drivers. I hope you join you at some of the drift days to just learn and enjoy the sport of drifting. Now if I could just make the days longer and get more time.

Don't mind being the red headed step child. That's usually the case...

Comment

Working...
                                X