Kousake Kida Super Street interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kousake Kida Super Street interview

In the August 2004 issue of Super Street magazine they interviewed Eiji "Tarzan" Yamada, and Signal Auto's Kousuke Kida after taking top honors at the Buttonwillow race track Time Attack.

Kida had to say some interesting things to say about Time Attack that I believe relates strongly to what is happening to drifting in the United States.

Just a couple sections of the interview.
    SS: What did you think of the competition today?
    KK: It was very interesting. Since the course was so long, it was difficult for the car. In the future, if you're planning on having another event like this, I'd recommend that you set some type of regulations--Like if HKS wants to bring the full carbon body Evo. If you don't have specific guidelines, people will start losing interest. When companies have a lot of money, they can make whatever they want. Maybe if you have those cars come out and make a couple of exhibition runs, but not allow them to compete.

SS: What do you guys think about other Japanese tuners coming to the States for the Time Attack? What would you like to tell them?
    KK: It would be good to have more cars brought here from japan. I think it might even be more intersting if it was nationwide. That way there can be competitions on the East and West coasts. Winners from each region can compete against each other. If too many tuners bring fast cars from Japan, I think it will end up like D1. where no US cars will be able to win. I think it's more important to teach the US drivers how to drive more aggressively.
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 07-15-2004, 06:27 AM.

what do you all think ?
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 07-12-2004, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't say that US drivers need to learn how to drive more aggressively. It's not like drifting where the development of the sport has not been significant in the past.

Comment

Its cool that Kida voices his opinion to check the HKS team and tells them that they have too much of an advantage with the Carbon Evo and to just be there for exhibition but the American team, Lateral G, knowing that the competition coupe Viper has too much of a tuning advantage, should have only been for exhibition and not competition.

Yes, I agree that US drivers don't lack aggressivness and skill when it comes to grip racing/time attacks, but just not as advanced with tuning as the Japanese companies are.

Comment

Oh American driver and teams can tune too...

Maybe not as extreme as Japanese tuners, but they can tune just as well...

It's not the fact that they're American that is the issue... It's with the fact that Americans are more conservative when it comes to tuning and driving... They like to keep things running rather than the most power. This is seen in NASCAR.. Those 8 cylinders can prolly produce more power, but they keep them tunable so they can save gas and tweak them along the way...

Matt.

Comment

BTW it's spelled "Kousuke"...just making it correct..not ranting.

Comment

your right it is Kousuke, not Kousake. dumb Super Street cant do anything right!!

Comment

when i read that i thought the us can tune just as well, just in diffrent ways, shuch as nascar or midget and sprint cars, what tarzan and kousuke see are the tuner cars and imports that right now just arnt advanced or as a hole experianced enough compared to the japanese.

Comment

you are aware that nascar regulates every spec in the vehicle. Its more of a drivers race than a machine race. Some cars are even weighted to balance the rules.

The real question is what they going to do when that Viper aint allowed to run in the D1. I heard tell that if its allowed the japanese drivers might boycot the race and only own it in the prelims and practice runs.

Comment

Originally posted by LAPD

The real question is what they going to do when that Viper aint allowed to run in the D1. I heard tell that if its allowed the japanese drivers might boycot the race and only own it in the prelims and practice runs.

What source is this coming from?

Comment

honestly I feel that Americans can tune.... but to an extent... We tend to tune up to the point where we feel we can get away w/ it legally.... while in Japan cops aren't exactly roaming the streets trying to pull people over (correct me if I'm wrong) so we try to make it a little feasible so that we dont get into trouble.... also the cost of living is higher there so people have higher paying jobs, so they can afford a little more than we can, this will also help to make them afford the crazy tuning that they get.....
                      I believe Kousuke is right, we need more time to learn to drive a little more give us a little more time, although bringing fast cars from japan will make us that much more competitive we will be trying to get to that standard and will build up to that. I.E.: If you were to practice w/ a pro basket ball player everyday eventually you'll get to the point where you'll be almost as good as them.

Comment

Working...
                      X