Think low power can compete with high HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think low power can compete with high HP

I already know what some people think about this, but what is the majority?
    I believe there is a huge diffrence between the driftablitly of a high power and low power car. I have experienced both extremes. An NA 13b street port aboultely no torque and now a NA 20 stock port in the same car. To me its not really all out power, but the ratio of power to traction.
    Example: NA 4age cant spin the tires I can. 195s will not give you control at 100mph sideways like my 245s. I can even go larger. Ive experienced the speed diffrence between 205 15s and 245 16s. I just couldnt bomb turns with the small tire. Weight also plays a huge factor but my FC can get close enough to a hachi to make it very minor.
    OK now 2 extremes. My car (when done) 600rwhp, 285s in back 255s up front 2600lbs running from a 20v hachi 200 hp, 235s rear, 225 front 2400lbs. On a road race track the hachi doesnt compete at all. What makes you think drifting is diffrent?
    Not trying to argue, just wondering where everyone else is coming from. Please speak from your own track exp. only.
    Thanks
    sky

I had alot more trouble using the power in my FC than I did my Supra, or the Celsior my friend let me borrow. But it's not like it can't drift entirely.

But as far as actual drifting for competition more. if you're driving a lower powered car, you'll get extra points if you can drive it to it's potential. It doesn't have to be huge smoke along the bank, as long as it's good.

Comment

they seem like sympathy points. Sorry motorsports arent about sympathy. Does F1 say well since cosworth doesnt have the budget or power to hang with ferrari well give them a few points. Nope. Its about evolution, right? One guys gets an advantage and everyone else scrambles to out do him. Thats the name of the game. I seem hypocrytical saying the viper should be banned, but really Im just jealous of his car and his power. Ill admit it.
      I like the hachi and my very good friend is a fanatic, but you can only go so far with the car until it nolonger is a hachi. Ken maeda came here and he was saying he doesnt even have a toyota rear anymore.

Comment

I can't agree with that. If drifting was a competition of speed, then I'd agree. But since it's a competition of skill, it takes the same amount of skill to drift a weak car at it's limits then it does a big hp car. Maybe even more.

Comment

Think low power can compete with high HP
          Yes yes i do

Comment

Speak from our own track experience only?

How about we speak from first-person viewing experience? Ueo was carrying just as much speed into the corners at bigger angles in his "low-horsepower" AE86. Apparently, you are VERY biased towards higher-powered vehicles. In drifting, it's not about evolution, it's about skills. Ueo has them, the other AE86 drifters have them, and Hubinette has both skills AND power. Respect those who choose to drift with low-powered vehicles, as their skills are quite possibly better than those with high-powered vehicles.

Wouldn't it be a biatch to be passed by a lower-powered vehicle with a better driver?

Comment

Yes it can and here is why. Most of your Drifting competitions are not road course length. They are 3-5 turns and then stop. They are not a full out 40 lap event, if they were, then yes you are right. But since they are such short events, so that the judges can see what happens and the crowd can enjoy it, you are wrong. Sure there are events that happen at circle tracks and what not. But in Atlanta, it was not that way. Alex stuck to Sams Viper like glue. No way to shake him. On a longer course where power and all that come into play, he might have had a harder time. But not the short courses.

Comment

High power and low power, it all depends on driver. Yea a Cosworth engine is gonna suck with a n00b in it, but put michael shumacher behind the wheel and i bet he will still win. Look at D1, people run vipers, gto's and theyre getting beatin by some hachis or 240's. Than again put those experienced drivers behind the vipers and gto and than you got a show.

Comment

I know I'm crazy but I believe that the ammount of power really dosnt matter. What matters (to me) is your tire selection (size/compound) in relation to your power characteristics.

Comment

exactly tire to power.
                    Shumacher would loose to kimi at this point if shumacher wasnt in ferrari. Well assuming Kimi doesnt loose his wing again. Poor guy

Ok here we have DS2. The whole course is open. You can slide straights, Im not talking choku. Hang the *Censored**Censored**Censored* out.
                    well..... either way I think eventually the car becomes a restriction. If you guys can prove me wrong show me video.
                    I cant think of any underpower cars that consistantly slide strights.

OK hawaiian perfect example. Watch any hachi go through the sweeper than watch forest or an SR guy go though. Tell me who is faster, which is a major factor in the judging.

Comment

Hmmm...yea I could easily catch up to the hachi guys when drifting behind them in the sweeper. That type of turn you need power...or just a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* load of speed to pull off. Though even before with my older motor running on 7 cylinders I could pull it off...but yea I see what your talking about. While drifting is alot about suspension tuning and skill. Having a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* load of power is a great thing to have.

Damn I really do need fatter tires in the back...245's are just to skinny for this new motor.

But I think still in a lot of ways the lower hp cars can still keep with the higher hp cars. On some turns high hp just screws you over. That and having a heavy @$$ f***ing car. In some situations lower hp cars have an advantage. Where they car rev the hell out of their motors and keep the tires spinnign at a high rate of speed. Their able to hold a better angle this way. While the higher hp cars need to let off the gas and the tires spin alot slower...meaning you can't hold as sideways of an angle.
                      Last edited by REVLIMIT; 07-27-2004, 03:23 AM.

Comment

but I can rev and make torque.

Comment

balance

Comment

But u also gotta remember to keep long sweepers goin, a decent amount of power is going to be needed

Comment

i think power band is more important. Different courses have different characteristics. On a course like Sonoma, it helped having a lot of torque pulling out of the sweeper at the bottom of the hill. Proper gearing is just as important.

Comment

Working...
                              X