If I have too much power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I have too much power?

I have been currently attempting my drifting in my miata with some ventus Z211s on some 15" volk rims and I almost have enough saved up to have my fm2 turbo kit installed, I was just wondering, if you guys thought that was alright? I guess the question is when I am drifting with the power increase will my tire come off the rim? I dont have that much experience but I have witnessed tire lossage.

The tire will only come off if you burn/ shred it off while your drifting and that takes alot of time to do.

Comment

not to long didntyou se the d1 show on tlc ??
      the tire got ripped like nothing after 15 minutes

"Tire companys love this" lol haha

no it depends on how much you drift and how long the drift is, i would think

Comment

Well it depends what your skill level is usually beginners dont shred up there tires in 15 mins...

Comment

But ripping a tire off of the rim? I'm sorry but I don't think that your Miata will ever be that powerful. You have any idea what it takes to get a tire off the rim? Now if you run some crazy low tire pressures you might roll the tire and bust the bead. Now that's more likely. But if you are trying to Drift then your tire pressures should be higher than normal anyway at the start and they will increase as the tire heats up. But alway's go higher tire pressures. As a beginner you want the rear end to break as easy as possible until you figure it out.

Comment

Tire life depends on a few things...how fast your spinning them, how hot their getting, how sideways your getting, and also on how your suspension is tuned. Just because you have a lot of power it doesnt mean your tires are going to blow up. I estimate that my new car is pushing around 380hp. Yet I can go through a whole day of Drifting and only use about 4 tires. One thing I suggest to make your tires last longer is after a few laps to let your tires cool down. Going lap after lap after lap after lap is going to blow up your tires fast. Mostly because the tire can't handle the heat and then the rubber begins to seperate.

One thing that I'm going to start doing (mostly because I'm broke as hell) is everytime I pull into the pit area I'll change my tires. Even if the thread is at like 95% I'll change them. That will give them time to cool down a little bit. While warm tires are good...HOT tires are bad. They grip less and also blow up faster.

Comment

Re: If I have too much power?

Originally posted by doorifto
              I have been currently attempting my drifting in my miata with some ventus Z211s on some 15" volk rims and I almost have enough saved up to have my fm2 turbo kit installed, I was just wondering, if you guys thought that was alright? I guess the question is when I am drifting with the power increase will my tire come off the rim? I dont have that much experience but I have witnessed tire lossage.

If you're going turbo, you're going to need more meat in the back. What size tires are you running now? 195/50/15, 205/50/15

Comment

Working...
              X