Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with you Nissanguy, there are things about this that I don't like either. But I understand them. Doesn't mean I have to like them.

The more this is talked about, the more I see what's going on.
    There are 2 ways this can go. A. Drifting can come of age without all of the added puff and gump, it will take a number of years to make it to a large audience on a regular basis. The purists will have their cake and the venue's will stay small and sponsers will be slim to non existent. Or, B. They can add the other elements, pull larger crowds so that people will have something to do during downtime, sponsers will come and money will flow into the sport causing growth, venues will get bigger.

Those are the 2 choices, they encompass good and bad on both of them. Pro's of the first choice are, events will be Drift only, smaller crowds means better seating and more a intimate crowd, maybe better understanding of the sport from outsiders. Con's are very little R&D, no new start up companies, companies that have already started IE Battle Version will stagnate and maybe die off. Money will not flow, tracks will not understand Drifting so there will be no added Drift Days, Track Day's, practice events at parking lots or nay of that, the sport will stagnate and fall off the radar letting everyone that claims to be in it for the long haul get back to being undergrounders.

Now Pro's of the second choice are bigger crowds, larger venues, more product developement by bigger companies, start up shops will have a much easier time and small companies devoted to the sport will have an easier time. People will see more of Drifting on TV, tracks will allow people to use them instead of turning them away thinking they just want to come there and "Spin tires", they will see that the sport is actually a sport and not a bunch of kids screwing off, Good divers will have more oppurtunities to get sponserships, meaning all of you when you are good enough can get help making it to events without draining your pockets. The sport in the states will get bigger. The Con's, Possible bad press from the people that these additions may bring, Drifting taking an X Games sort of feel, less interaction with the drivers due to larger crowds and a certian stigma being attached to the sport by these sort of things.

That's pretty much it, goods and bads, you just have to look at them and weight them out. Like I said before, I think this is just a neccesary evil to get to where the sport wants to be. The American arm of Drifting is living in the shadows of the Japanese one and to get out on it's own, sacrifices have to be made. I'm not happy with some of them but I do see why they are being done.

Comment

• Ghost, you are amazing. That is the best explantion I have heard in this thread. You looked at something most people here didnt want to, that keeping it small could be bad, and that it exploding could be good. I thank you for not putting any spin on you explantion.

Comment

• Great post sixgun!

You see the point!

Hey, do you think we can start a show called "American Drifter Idol" in the meantime? Just kidding don't take me too seriously..
        Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

• Originally posted by Weapon X
          Yeah, well I know there's certain things people want to say but can't because it's all politics. But I'm over it, I'm a driver not a politician so I'm going to go drive. I wish you guys all the best of luck at Formula D, Peace.
          I am leaving the politics out and running for president. I only need about 5000 signatures so who is the first to sign it? Now all kidding aside, We the drivers do not get into the politics because of sponsors, trust me on this. Most of our sponsors support our decisions and what we say, that is why they sponsor us. All the sponsors I have had the past have not been from what I bring them, it has been done on a personal relationship. When I got the sponsorship for the I.R.L., I closed that deal the first time I met this individual (Garlon Frost), because first he liked me (not in that way), and believed in my abilities. Look at Tony Stewart, he gets in more politically incorrect situations than any other driver (I think he gets fined on a weekly basis). But, Home Depot is not about to drop him, because they like him. Now take Alex for instance, he has expressed his opinion on some of the things wrong with Formula D on this forum, would you say that he was doing the political thing? No, he was doing the exact opposite. We express our opinions, because we want to see things done the right way. Please don't try to read into everything and say to yourself, he's just doing this for politics or because it is because of his sponsors. Drifting ain't big enough for that yet. If everyone knew the politics of D1 you would all vomit all over your keyboards and your mouse wouldn't work anymore, if you knew what went on behind the "scenes". So here is the down side, nothing is without politics including our "drifting". I love to hear the conspiracy theories and stuff, it is quite entertaining until it involves you. I know from racing and I have been on the wrong end of politics and it sucks. If I had been "Politically Correct" more in my racing career I would be driving Indycars today, but that is not me, and I don't believe in it. When we post here it is because of how we personally feel. Crap I'm rambling again...Do I sound like a politician ( is that how you spell it? Sh!t, I mean shoot, I need to work on that before I go on the campaign trail) or something...Just praticing for my acceptance speech.
          Last edited by RyanHampton; 08-11-2004, 06:19 PM.
          Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

• Originally posted by RyanHampton
            Great post sixgun!

You see the point!

Hey, do you think we can start a show called "American Drifter Idol" in the meantime? Just kidding don't take me too seriously..
            Seacrest...OUT!

Good points Ryan, I dont think people understand just HOW POLITICAL this industry is. You get featured in one magazine you might not get featured in any others, Blah blah blah...this is what a team is for. Let the drivers focus on driving, let the team managment deal with the politics. Sponsors like big crowds, no matter if their intrest is in drifting or not. All companies involved are there to make a buck. But regardless, the sponsoring companies are supporting the series by helping the series develop from the money they spend for a booth, banner, logo, or parts.

Comment

• I'd still like to know how getting these "outsiders" involved will really help. Sure, you'll fill the seats. And you can keep fooling yourselves into thinking that this will help attract more people into drifting, but not enough to speak of. If you're going to want to continue to attract big crowds you'll have to continuously change your scheme to do so. But I'm sure when there's money to be made companies are willing to put out the effort to find venues to help sell something out.

Comment

• why set up regular events for local drivers when you can invest all the money on a one big event with sponsered drivers from another state. You american pro drivers should be careful, you heard it from Formula D themselves that they are considering letting in the japanese pros in the league. When their skills and sponser backing push you guys out the spotlight maybe you'll begin to see my perspective of starting slow and make sure we come in numbers as well as skill before we try to appeal to the masses of unedjucated potential fans.
                Last edited by my 1 88 u; 08-11-2004, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• if you guys don't like where drifting is heading on mainland, move here to hawaii! you won't regret it! cheap, little regulations, and constant drifting for 7 hrs strait per event!
                  Last edited by UF31Leopard; 08-11-2004, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• no thank you, I'm trying to build Georgia's drift scene.
                    http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=7264

Comment

• why doesn't formula D make Hawaii a choice to hold an event because Hawaii has a very well established drift scene and I just want to see how they hold up at HMC track. oh yeah I think Ross should stick with his purple 240sx, nevermind the RX-7.
                      Last edited by UF31Leopard; 08-11-2004, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• In Japan a Drifting culture created a profesional league. In America a profesional league is trying to create a drift culture, good luck.

Comment

• I will tell you one thing, if people that run the tracks around here so all the HIN stuff tagging along with drifting. If they associate neon lights and slutts walking around (except for 2, that one guys sister and someone else ) they won't be too impressed.

I am pretty sure if they saw a drift event like something along the line of D1 they would be more impressed and see that the people driving have talent and its not a bunch of ricers doing burnouts to get attention.

Like take my dad for instance, we have an E36 M3 that has all the little goodies (shocks, coilvovers, wheel spacers, etc etc) so he can take the car to the track every now and then and still have a daily driver. He saw drifting as just a dumb way of going slow around a track and a good way to spend more money on rubber. Then, he saw the Drift Bible and that show on Rides (w/Millen and his GTO) and thought it was pretty cool. Mainly because he saw how fast they were going and that it took some big cahones and a lot of skill to do that.

Like I said if their is a lot of rice with drifting then a lot of the "old timers" (mid-upper 30's and beyond) won't really gain a respect for drifting. For instance a friend of ours is into muscle cars so he always went to the shows and such. But then the rice boys would show up and do burnouts when leaving the parking lot, which resulted in the store owner/manager having to kick them out of their parking lot. And a lot of the older guys are the ones that get to decide whether or not their track is going to have drift days, etc..

Just my .02 cents. And no I am not saying that because your are in your 30's that your are old, its just that anything over 25 years old when your at the tender age of 15 lol. Woohoo! Test for my permit in 18 days!!

Comment

• It kind of sucks that people constantly ask where I drift, because they're trying to get into it too, and I have no answer for them. Maybe the drift scene out in California or Hawaii is more deserving of a professional league because of its grassroots drift organizations, but down here in Atlanta Formula D seemed like some NASCAR event that was cool to watch but impossible to participate in.

My 1 88 U maybe a little more cynical in his approach, but we all feel frustrated that things are not progressing even though a professional drift event was held here.
                            That creates an atmosphere that Formula D was dangled in our face instead of representing and supporting us. So in the future I would hope that along with all the secondary car shows, videogame contests and wet T-shirts Formula D will push harder for regular localized events outside of California.

Thank You
                            Last edited by jaydm180sx; 08-11-2004, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Yea, there is politics in everything...

Ryan is totally correct. You find out when you meet people with some clout. Everything is political. Just the fact that you know their name adds clout to your name... Stuff like that...

And Ryan, if you run for president, I got your back How about we start with California? After Arnold is out of office, we'll get you in

Matt.

Comment

• all i can say is we'll wait for formula d to happen and see what happens from then on. i cant give you my honest opinion yet cuz i havent been to the event yet so i shall wait and see for my own eyes because what i see in the ads of formula d, it looks pretty sad taht most of the ad is covered with hot import night girls, djs, celebs, and 300 show cars with a SIDE of drifting... thats the message that im getting if i was some random guy who never thought what drifting is. i dont think thats the right publicizing or promotion that "sport of drifting" deserves.

Comment

Working...
                                X