ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Samuel win against Forseberg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This post should be a sticky

Originally posted by _PG_
    Holy crap. Listen, this is not directed at all of you, but SOME of you are pretty big Newbies in drifting.

FIRST OF ALL: Judges are human, they have their faults, they also have thier opinions and preferences. Coming from a driver who has been competing in drift competitions and following D1 since its inception in 2001, i can tell you some things...

Oh yeah, um some of my best friends compete in Formula D, I have good friends in Japan who compete in BM Hai, Advan events, and even D1GP. Judges are biased! If they like corolla, and you drive an S13 (super common... doesn't do anything to gain you points... considered one of the BEST drift cars... basically they think you are a pus.sy for driving it) and you go against the AE86 and don't KICK AS.S HARDCORE, you will lose. Keiichi Tsuchiya gets wet for AE86s. He hates Nissans. Its not even funny how biased he is. For better or worse, this is how it is. Its just something you have to live with. Does that mean ONLY hachi will do well? Hell no. But if you remember, Ueo won the 2002 season and was close last year... liek stated by Mike, his angles weren't as high, his speed wasn't quite as fast, etc. He won because he was driving a disadvantagous car, and he had VERY good lines, AND he kept up pretty close with a lot higher cars. Also, in D1GP if you do not drive for a big company that the judges like, you might as well not drive. Its super bad. Koguchi never did well in D1 until he broke down and started driving an HPI S15. Now he is doing well in the points standing. From 2001-2003 the judges would make fun of him at the events for being from the countryside, being self-sponsored, driving an older car, etc. Its all in fun, cause they have known him for so long it was a joke almost.

Anyways, on to the lost point of this post. Chris has.. 370hp and 2600 lbs car. Sam has over twice as much power and... what 300, 400lbs more weight? Not to mention Chris' Z has... what's that? a factory road car suspension geometry and frame and Sam's COMPETITION Coupe Viper is a race car. Even a stock Viper is such a better, more expensive car than a Z.

Judging: One of the Judges drives an Identical car as Sam's in touring car series. In fact, Sam's suspension setup was copied from what Tarzan suggested for drifting. To think that this judge is unbiased is a bad mistake.

Tactics: Even Taniguchi didn't disrespect his opponents like Sam does. He would wait, or even start behind a slower car and eventually take the lead before going into the first turn in order to allow the slower car to go as fast as he can and Taniguchi to take the line and acceleration that HE prefers also. He did not just bone the F out on the straightaway BEFORE THE sweeper that leads up to the first judging point. THAT alone would get you disqualified in D1. OR at least MAJOR points off.

As people have said, Rhys and Sam seem to know less about drifting and concentrate more on winning at any cost. Bad. Gripping after a turn in order to catch up to Chris (IN THE SLOWER CAR) BAAAADDDD! Gripping to grab an inside line and then push people off course to avoid hitting you (Sam did this in every other round) BAD. In Japanese series, the lead car wins if he can gain ground IN THE DRIFTING SECTION FO THE COURSE off the chase car. The CHASE car wins if he can keep the same distance HE STARTED WITH, whether that is 1 inch or 400 feet. Passins is only to be done if the lead car has made a bad mistake and goes off line. It is NOT an automatic win. A couple times Taniguchi did what Sam does and he did not even win. Becuase the pass is meaningless if you FORCE the other driver to avoid you. That is reckless.

Anyways, this is just beating a dead horse, everyone has seen the footage and everyone who is in love with Sam is still in love with Sam. And us real drifters understand why Chris won.

Chris was in the AE86 and Sam was in the S15 so to speak. The judging may have been a little lenient towards Chris at points because he would be pushing it WAY more just to keep up to Sam. See, the thing that some people here don't understand (amongst other things...) is that its not just about what visually happened, its about HOW the drivers make their cars drift the way they do. It is damn hard to drift a hachi. I agree that every hachi guy should get a little favoritism. Its DAMN hard to drift a 4 door sedan. They too should get some leniency. It is NOT hard to drift the highest horsepower, highest torque car in the field. AND its a full tube frame race car? Sam should have to dodge missle while he drifts! This is how judging works. They know your car and what it is capable of. They know Sam (like Taniguchi and Imamura, lets say) does a lot less work to get his car to go fast, stay sideways, billow smoke, etc etc etc.

This is how things should have gone down: Chris should have gone full throttle all the way around the bank((he did....) there was no fuc.king way he can get his car to go any faster without gripping (like Sam did...... in the better car. That doesn't make sense, does it?)
    Sam should have been at xx% throttle until the last half of the bank so that he would have the same speed as Chris, and then he could go full throttle into the corner and gain what distance he would have.

This is how Japan events are conducted, and imo this is how we in the US should also do things. Its the first season, so hopefully ( i hear its happening) next year the little bumps in the system so to speak will be worked out better and stuff liek this wont be as bad.

I think the judges were so distracted, intentionally or not, by the Vipers speed and smoke for the first 3 events, that they missed Sam's major downfalls, After much discussion and iritation by the other drivers to pay more attention to the DRIFTING not the SHOW the racecar puts on, they have come to a little less bias. To me, this last event was the most fairly judged one all season.

But hey, what do i know?
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 09-04-2004, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
      Dude your numbers do not add up. If the viper weighs 600 lbs more then the gto, and the viper weighs 3000 lbs, then the gto weighs 2400 lbs. The GTO weighs closer to 3000 lbs by Rhys's own admission, that is after removing nearly 800 lbs of material. The GTO is the heaviest car in the series stock, the Viper is heavy compared to cars like the S13, but i really doubt a Competition coupe set up for drifting will weigh in more then 3200 lbs or so.

Add the fact his engine is 8 liters.. and yeah its not really a disadvantage to drive the viper.
      According to Rhys himself from the FormulaD event at Irwindale, the GTO weighed in at a tick over 2400lbs without driver.

Comment

Holy crap. Listen, this is not directed at all of you, but SOME of you are pretty big Newbies in drifting.
        Yes, this is true. What's more annoying is that the "veterans" in drifting post numbers that are inaccurate...keep reading.

Anyways, on to the lost point of this post. Chris has.. 370hp and 2600 lbs car. Sam has over twice as much power and... what 300, 400lbs more weight?
        Have you done any research on the comp coupe? If you had, you wouldn't post such BS. Viper comp coupe makes 525hp.

Judging: One of the Judges drives an Identical car as Sam's in touring car series. In fact, Sam's suspension setup was copied from what Tarzan suggested for drifting. To think that this judge is unbiased is a bad mistake.
        You're going out on a limb making an accusation such as this with no backup. I'd like to see NuFormz (the company that did the modifications to sam's viper comp coupe explain that these vipers are identical. because from what has been printed and commuincated, these vipers are different both in suspension and tire setup. As far as the judge being biased, no one knows but Tarzan. But I'll tell you that I doubt Tarzan wants to feel that another driver in america can drift better than he can. if anything, that would put sam at a disadvantage.

Tactics: Even Taniguchi didn't disrespect his opponents like Sam does. He would wait, or even start behind a slower car and eventually take the lead before going into the first turn in order to allow the slower car to go as fast as he can and Taniguchi to take the line and acceleration that HE prefers also. He did not just bone the F out on the straightaway BEFORE THE sweeper that leads up to the first judging point. THAT alone would get you disqualified in D1. OR at least MAJOR points off.
        I see your point here but the only time I've seen sam do this was in irwindale. if you look at the other events, he didn't "bone" out. especially at road atlanta when he raced alex...AND CHRIS.

As people have said, Rhys and Sam seem to know less about drifting and concentrate more on winning at any cost. Bad. Gripping after a turn in order to catch up to Chris (IN THE SLOWER CAR) BAAAADDDD! Gripping to grab an inside line and then push people off course to avoid hitting you (Sam did this in every other round) BAD. In Japanese series, the lead car wins if he can gain ground IN THE DRIFTING SECTION FO THE COURSE off the chase car. The CHASE car wins if he can keep the same distance HE STARTED WITH, whether that is 1 inch or 400 feet. Passins is only to be done if the lead car has made a bad mistake and goes off line. It is NOT an automatic win. A couple times Taniguchi did what Sam does and he did not even win. Becuase the pass is meaningless if you FORCE the other driver to avoid you. That is reckless. .
        Wow. Please post video of this. We'd really like to see exactly what incidents you're referring to. There is a great video on this website where Sam passes Chris in a complete drift at FormulaD Houston. Chris went wide...that was his fault. How do you respond to that?

Anyways, this is just beating a dead horse, everyone has seen
        the footage and everyone who is in love with Sam is still in love with Sam. And us real drifters understand why Chris won.
        I think what most people have the biggest problem with is the fact that CHRIS SPUN OUT and they still sent the pair one more time. That was BS.

It is NOT hard to drift the highest horsepower, highest torque car in the field. AND its a full tube frame race car? Sam should have to dodge missle while he drifts! This is how judging works. They know your car and what it is capable of. They know Sam (like Taniguchi and Imamura, lets say) does a lot less work to get his car to go fast, stay sideways, billow smoke, etc etc etc.
        Oh, its not that hard? lol. yeah, just because the car has a grip of hp and torque, it's a cinch. you ever heard of inertia in a 3000lb drift car? do you know how to compensate for that? you should call mopar and tell them it's simple and that you'd like to test drive for them next year. by the way, did you know that SEVERAL people from FormulaD tried out for the Mopar drift driver before the season started in the viper comp coupe? none of them could drift it like sam...and ALL of them had problems drifting it. (my friend from a magazine was there on the test day and said that they were all having problems drifting the viper)

Again, do your research. Rhys Millen's PONTIAC GTO has more horsepower and torque than sam's Viper comp coupe, AND WEIGHS CONSIDERABLY LESS. RHY'S GTO is also a PURPOSE BUILT DRIFT CAR. The Viper comp coupe is not.

Sam should have been at xx% throttle until the last half of the bank so that he would have the same speed as Chris, and then he could go full throttle into the corner and gain what distance he would have.
        Sam can't stay full throttle into the corners due to the higher amounts of inertia he must compensate for. If he stays in the throttle it will push him out and over the apex wide. How can you not realize this?

I think the judges were so distracted, intentionally or not, by the Vipers speed and smoke for the first 3 events, that they missed Sam's major downfalls, After much discussion and iritation by the other drivers to pay more attention to the DRIFTING not the SHOW the racecar puts on, they have come to a little less bias. To me, this last event was the most fairly judged one all season.
        If you look at the videos or have been to the FormulaD events, there is no way you can say that the Viper had the most smoke during his passes. No way. Other cars had way more smoke. I think what most people were impressed with was the speed of entry of sam's drifts and the incredible consistency he displayed thru each event.

I'm not even a fan necessarily of sam. but when i see posts such as yours, as a drift enthusiast, id have to say that the judges have less bias than you. your bias is displayed in your post by the inaccurate information, your lack of research on the viper, and no backup for many of your comments except that it's "your opinion." but.....

But hey, what do i know?
        hmm...
        Last edited by hondoo; 09-08-2004, 10:26 PM.

Comment

PG didn't say that to say that stuff to sound like he knew what he was saying.

He said all of that to bring out a point. A point that was well taken. If you're trying to make him sound dumb, that's being very ill considerate considering you understood his point too...

Anyways, no more pointing fingers please, and FD is over for the season. So can we let this subject die? We all know what is polite and what isn't now in drifting. Sam won't be driving the Viper either... So the points have been made...

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by hondoo
            As far as the judge being biased, no one knows but Tarzan. But I'll tell you that I doubt Tarzan wants to feel that another driver in america can drift better than he can. if anything, that would put sam at a disadvantage.
            BTW, Tarzan is sponsered by Mopar... I vote for the guys paying the bills. If Mopar was paying for my bills, I'd vote for what they told me to vote for also...

Originally posted by hondoo
            Wow. Please post video of this. We'd really like to see exactly what incidents you're referring to. There is a great video on this website where Sam passes Chris in a complete drift at FormulaD Houston. Chris went wide...that was his fault. How do you respond to that?
            Passing isn't part of drifting... Passing is part of track racing where time is the issue... Sam didn't have any issues with time. He did it to prove a point. He blocked Chris's line in Houston by doing so. Therefore he ruined Chris's run...

My point by saying that. If I'm chasing, I have no incentive to drift while chasing if passing was part of the game. My goal would be to grip race and get inside on turns to screw up the lead's line... Which is what the factory sponsered guys have accomplished this season.

Rhys was driving so tight that he bumped cars at the last two Formula Ds this season. Sam was driving so tight that he passes people who were fallowing their own lines properly...

Driving tight isn't the issue. If they're going to drive tight like that, they should at least allow their opponent the same oppertunity...

Matt.

Comment

The CHASE car wins if he can keep the same distance HE STARTED WITH, whether that is 1 inch or 400 feet. Passins is only to be done if the lead car has made a bad mistake and goes off line. It is NOT an automatic win. A couple times Taniguchi did what Sam does and he did not even win. Becuase the pass is meaningless if you FORCE the other driver to avoid you. That is reckless.
              Finally someone who feels the same way about battling as me. These are the types of battles I'd rather see and when I practice tandem runs this is my mindset (even though I am not skilled enough to get as close as I'd like)

Comment

Agreed.

Chris won fair and square. I would have judged it that same way. I have watched that video numerous times and Chris, to me, had the cleanest lines and most consistent lines. He spun, but his driving leading up to that was beautiful. I would have sent them another run too.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                  BTW, Tarzan is sponsered by Mopar... I vote for the guys paying the bills. If Mopar was paying for my bills, I'd vote for what they told me to vote for also...

Sorry Matt. but you lose credibility when you say things like this. tarzan is not sponsored by Mopar.

this is one reason things get out of whack...because people start saying BS like this.

Comment

QUOTE]Have you done any research on the comp coupe?[/QUOTE]
                    If you did research you would also find out that even though the viper has the most amount of wieght, it also is on the largest tires (and he would go wider if yokohama had them), more hp, but also a much greater amount of torque. You would also find out that even though the supension arms are stock, they are moved from the original positions along with other componets on the car to give it a much better roll center and center of gravity then the street version. (that means its not fair)
                    But I'll tell you that I doubt Tarzan wants to feel that another driver in america can drift better than he can. if anything, that would put sam at a disadvantage.
                    Why would that be? Tarzan is not a drifter nor did he ever claim to be one. He may have been a judge at FD and funny to watch at the track, but he is far from being a top drifter.
                    I think what most people have the biggest problem with is the fact that CHRIS SPUN OUT and they still sent the pair one more time. That was BS.
                    Watch the vid again, on the second run when chris is in front, Sam griped a whole section of the track. That is just as bad as spinning.

Oh, its not that hard? lol. yeah, just because the car has a grip of hp and torque, it's a cinch. you ever heard of inertia in a 3000lb drift car? do you know how to compensate for that? you should call mopar and tell them it's simple and that you'd like to test drive for them next year. by the way, did you know that SEVERAL people from FormulaD tried out for the Mopar drift driver before the season started in the viper comp coupe? none of them could drift it like sam...and ALL of them had problems drifting it. (my friend from a magazine was there on the test day and said that they were all having problems drifting the viper)
                    You compensate for it with tire size. Think about it. And what do you know about the testing that happened with mopar before FD, where you there? I was one of the first guys to test the cars. The first thing i said to them as the car was coming off the trailer was that the car is illegal. Well they found a loophole. Then they where telling us they are planning on building a RWD SRT4, also told them bad idea. Anyway, durring those three days of testing, it was obvious that they were not looking so much for a driver but more for information and were developing the cars for drifting. For example, the cars rolled out of the trailer with Hoosiers, 315's at that. And race steering angle (less then the street version), Far from what they are running today. They did make alot of changes to the cars to make them driftable, if you did your research!!!

Sam can't stay full throttle into the corners due to the higher amounts of inertia he must compensate for. If he stays in the throttle it will push him out and over the apex wide. How can you not realize this?
                    Thats an idiotic statement, go back to engineering school. Anyway the point was at the start. As you start off, you shouldnt pull away from your competitor untill the first judgeing area.

I'm not even a fan necessarily of sam. but when i see posts such as yours, as a drift enthusiast, id have to say that the judges have less bias than you. your bias is displayed in your post by the inaccurate information, your lack of research on the viper, and no backup for many of your comments except that it's "your opinion." but.....
                    Really not a fan? I think your statements are alot more bias then _PG_ and you have the inaccurate information, lack of research. If you didnt agree with _PG_'s statement, your the idiot.

Tag your it!
                    BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• I was laughing all the way through the previous post, but the "Tag you're it!" certainly did me in!

Comment

• Alex, I love you THIIIIISSSSS MUCH!! Wanna be *Censored**Censored**Censored* with me and Tony?

Anyways, in all seriousness I was goingto respond, but Pfieffer said most of it. Just to add.....

Oh, its not that hard? lol. yeah, just because the car has a grip of hp and torque, it's a cinch. you ever heard of inertia in a 3000lb drift car? do you know how to compensate for that? you should call mopar and tell them it's simple and that you'd like to test drive for them next year.
                        Actually it really isn't that hard. Why do you think its popular to drift 4 door sedans in Japan? Like JZX81-110 Mark II's, Verossa's, Chaser's, Cresta's, etc... The later model cars have VVT-i (or whatever) 1JZ 6 clyinder single turbo 5 spd rwd. A larger turbine, boost controller and IC and your car now has 450+ hp. Some 22k/20k suspension and strip the rear interior... Ask Alex, drifting heavy cars is pretty easy, they GLIDE right over all the bumps. They can hold long smokey slides forever ("Ever heard of inertia in a 3000 lbs car?") and with good enough brakes you can slow them down for those tight 1st or 2nd gear apexes. In fact, Alex has his fair share of drifting a Soarer. Which, believe it or not, though only 2 door, is heaveier than the JZX series 4 doors. These cars are all heavier than that Competition Coupe.

Again, do your research. Rhys Millen's PONTIAC GTO has more horsepower and torque than sam's Viper comp coupe, AND WEIGHS CONSIDERABLY LESS. RHY'S GTO is also a PURPOSE BUILT DRIFT CAR. The Viper comp coupe is not.
                        More power to them then... Although they had a huge budget, they developed that car from a street car. Power to weight ratio does not make it a better drift car (As you pointed out). Handling characteristics, roll centers, bump steer, scrub radius, track, wheelbase, grip, downforce, weight distribution, Center of Gravity.... THAT'S what makes a better car. Christ, driving a stock Viper out there would practically be as good as many of the other cars, and cost more! But this was a race Viper. Its like sending 43 drivers to deliver 1 pizza.

Well thats a pretty big problem then. Cause part of the judging criteria was full throttle while clipping and coming out of the apexes...

If you look at the videos or have been to the FormulaD events, there is no way you can say that the Viper had the most smoke during his passes. No way. Other cars had way more smoke. I think what most people were impressed with was the speed of entry of sam's drifts and the incredible consistency he displayed thru each event.
                        Consistancy is a good thing. But its not hard when you grip, enter at a slow speed, then power out and accelerate at a shallow angle with a wall of smoke behind you. You need to go bakc and REALLY look at Sam's technique. IT is a SLOW entry wiht low angle. He uses the car's power to kick it sideways and combined with the super wide tires, accelerate while in the corner. The onoly round where he really didn't do this was at Irwindale. But if you think about it he really did.... He started the drift on the bank... just accelerating and turning then laying on the gas to gain speed around it. Then he BRAKED or GRIPPED in the switchback section, then got back on the gas for the main turn...

No matter how far behind he was due to Sam's tactics, Chris still closed the gap by the end of the turn. Meaning he wins. And when he spun, that run Sam gripped and also tapped a wall iirc. Therefore they cancel each other out. 0 pts each.

Well drift enthusiast, as a DRIFTER and COMPETITOR (not in Formula D, i don't have money or time to do it) I am telling you how judging is. As explained to me by: Keiichi Tsuchiya, Nomuken, Koguchi, All my friends in Formula D and D1, All my friends in BM Hai and Advan events...

My lack of research stems from talking with drvers and teams who are "in the know". What is publically released on the Comp. Coupe is not 100% accurate to say the least. How do i know about Tarzan setting up the suspension? Talking to drivers who were there at testing day and companies who talked to Tarzan. How do i know the car has more than 525 hp? Um isnt that what a street viper has? And you think even if a Comp Coupe is SOLD TO THE PUBLIC with 525 hp that a MOPAR backed race team will keep it at that? HA!!! You can relatively easily get 520 hp out of an SR20DET. Now... QUADRUPLE the displacement... Add a team of race technicians and engineers to modify it... and you think that engine is only running 525... mmmmm hmm.

Comment

• First, I appreciate the discussion from both Alex and PG. I think it is a good topic to debate and it is good to get opinions from both sides.

Alex, yes, I did not take into consideration that the day the viper was tested, it was different than when it came out at the first event at Road Atlanta. My friend from Grassroots Motorsports Mag confirmed that the vehicle was not set up for drifting when you (and others) tested it. That's a good point.

However, why is moving the stock suspension armsan issue? The rules of FormulaD do not talk about that. Right?

2nd, the comp coupe comes with 525hp. the engine was not modified any further.

As far as Rhys goes, I wonder, if he would have won the first couple of events, if people would have started complaining about his car and his budget? I think so.

FormulaD needs to get more specific with their rules so that these types of situations don't arise. I mean, Alex, what if you would have been driving the comp coupe this year instead of Sam? How would you have handled all this controversy?

I'm not so much a Sam fan (although I respect his talent) as I am a Mopar fan. I have a SRT4 and love it. I know that when Mopar comes into race in a particular series, they come in for real. I think they showed everyone that they mean business, and it will be very interesting to see what they come out with next year.

Much luv.

Comment

• Originally posted by hondoo
                            According to Rhys himself from the FormulaD event at Irwindale, the GTO weighed in at a tick over 2400lbs without driver.
                            I saw it very very gutted, so it wouldnt surprise me, however that means hes reduced the stock weight over 1400 lbs. And another 600 lbs sence he last said its weight was 3000, having reduced its weight 800 lbs at the d1.

Comment

• However, why is moving the stock suspension armsan issue? The rules of FormulaD do not talk about that. Right?
                              We may as well all make trans am or nascars where the only thing that is remotely close to the original car is the stickers of teh headlights and the shape of the front grill opening. I dont see anyone drifting a N1 ae86 or a gt300/gt500 car, this is because its not in the true spirit of the sport (also illegal in D1). We are not racing sideways, if we were, it would be on dirt or ice. This is a sport based off of street cars and i feel that everyone should be driving a street legal car but it would make the rules more weird. FD really needs to clean up the rules basicly.
                              2nd, the comp coupe comes with 525hp. the engine was not modified any further
                              Thats not what they told me. According to the engineer guy that was there that day, they have different heads, intake, exhaust, and a computer upgrade.
                              As far as Rhys goes, I wonder, if he would have won the first couple of events, if people would have started complaining about his car and his budget? I think so.
                              Maybe, but that didnt happen. His car is at least built off of a stock chassy.
                              FormulaD needs to get more specific with their rules so that these types of situations don't arise.
                              Agreed

I mean, Alex, what if you would have been driving the comp coupe this year instead of Sam? How would you have handled all this controversy?
                              It wouldnt have happened to me because i would have never driven that car. I did tell the marketing manager that if they wanted me to drive, they would have to pay me alot of money to smile and be cool about everything. Ask tony, he was standing next to me.
                              I know that when Mopar comes into race in a particular series, they come in for real.
                              No they bend the rules to win. There is an old saying ive learned from past experience, "there are cheaters and there are loosers".
                              Mopar cheated, plain and simple. Now lets see how they do next year.
                              BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• I see your point, but FormulaD's rules are very vague. That's FormulaD's fault...not Mopar's. And according to FormulaD's rules for the 2004 season, the car was legal.

Comment

Working...
                                X