haha, score:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haha, score:)

So i've been looking for a 240 for a while now. I just found out that my cousin has an 89 sitting in his driveway that is fine except needing a new "slave cylinder" or something. alot was lost in translation (i didn't talk to him directly). But, apparently it's in good condition with a reasonable amount of miles for the age and just needs whatever it is fixed, they said about a 60dollar job. I think he's gonna give it to me for 300smackums. correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd say that's a pretty good deal.

300 smackums...does that translate to about 456.89 buckeroos? haha just kidding man good find congrats.

Comment

The slave cylinder is an easy repair.

If you go to any of the big auto parts retailers u can pick one up for about $20. Once u do that, u might as well change ur master as well another $30-40. Buy yourself a few jars of brake fluid or manual transmission fluid (they are basically the same) $15.

Download the factory service manual from www.240sxforums.com
      Then go through and find ur slave, its pretty easy to find. Its down towards the bottom,near the firewall on the passenger side. ur master is on the driver's side, right up top.

Replace those and then, bleed ur clutch lines so there is no bubbles.

U may/may not have to adjust ur pedal but other than that, you should be all good.

U can fix it yourself with a buddy who knows what he's doing for about $50. If u spend more than $75, u'll be getting ripped off tho.

But good deal on the car, wuts the mileage??

Take care of that car.

L8r

P.S.

Drive the car and see if its really the slave. Because if it will act up and not go into reverse when u first cold start it then its usually the slave/master, or it may be that the clutch line just has air bubbles in it. After you drive it and it warms up and u start spinning the revs after it warms up (meaning u give it gas and it has no pull) its probably a pedal adjustment. Or another scenerio is u'll have to replace the clutch. But, buying a car for $300, u have a good jump on most of us who paid a few grand for ours.

U should have money saved up for it, u get what u pay for and i doubt its completely mint for $300. I hope i'm wrong tho.

Just dont let it go to junk, blow the motor, or destroy the transmission.
      Last edited by OH240SE; 09-13-2004, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Ahh, thank you for the info. I just got word that she may be firing on just two cans. Hopefully it's just two fouled plugs or bad ignition somewhere, coil or something, i dunno. I don't know how many miles yet, the kid is supposed to be calling me.

Comment

hmm, should see if theres anything else wrong with it. 300 bucks isnt bad even if it doesnt run correctly... make sure that frame is straight and rustfree though

Comment

Yes, i am going to see the car tomorrow (wednesday.) I will check then to see what condition it's in. I finally talked to the guy. He said it's just firing on two, and that the slave cylinder froze up. It's a red 89 hatch miles in the 100k range, or at least not exceeding 200k, faded red paint (i hear it's mostly pink) and a cracked rear tail light. Interior has all panels and front seats, but carpet is stripped and no rear seat, i think.

There is a bonus i found out about the kid he got it from gave him a goody he bought for the car and thus, the car comes with a new, in sealed box. bomex front bumper.

89 240 and a nib bomex front end for under 500? natey's smilin'.

I'll let ya know what happens with it, and i'll be sure and take some pics when i go see it, and hopefully drive, or, probably tow it home.

Comment

if you end up doing the slave and master or whatever and you have to flush the lines you should use cheap drug store brand rubbing alcohol and flush through about half a bottle, it's cheaper and it cleans the junk out of the lines along with sucking up moisture which is brake fluids enemy. that sounds like a smokin' deal though congrats.

Comment

the alchohol thing does sort of make sense. i'll see what i can do about it.

I called XAT today in tampa and asked them if i should fear the misfiring and they said no. They said chances are, because they've seen it before, it's almost always the injector harness. Apparently, with time, the harness basically just starts to disentigrate. He said replacing or just hardwiring (what i'll probably opt for, saddly) should cure the problem and that the slave was a very straight forward fix and should only cost me about 30 or 40. i don't want to get my hopes up, but this is seeming like a good deal. I go tomorrow to see, again i'll be sure and get pics and what not, maybe even some video of that two cylinder shuffle, and the shifting problems so that you guys could help diagnose it.

Comment

well good luck man. i hope that thing works out for ya!

Comment

thanks. I'm so excited. tomorrow's the day, this beast better be legit or i'ma be saaaaad. we'll see though, we'll see...

Comment

Today's the day! Sorry i've kept this thread alive so long. I'm sure know one wants to read it, but you guys have been very helpful, and i guess i can use your advice as my justification for milking this for all it's worth.

shower/lunch/general psych/cleanaroom/pack my rig/head to the island where i'll meet/mr. 240.

say your prayers boys, i need all the help i can get.

Comment

good luck

Comment

well, saddly i was disappointed. I was VERY misinformed. The car is nothing more than a 300dollar shell. Give me some time to get the pics up.

Comment

yeah, the harness thing makes me pretty mad too. Especially considering the hood was SHUT.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Excuse the foliage, remember, this is florida and we just got raped by some hurrycanes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X