No announcement yet.

What Will Happen To Drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The skateboard analagy was good. In the 60s the board was hot for a while then it fadded. Then in the 70s it came back again more popular and better equipment, Then it was gone. And now were on the end of the latest fad for the board and the stunts and apprel and what not became a totaly new fashion/genre for the masses. I wonder how many times drift will be popular.

I can remember my first board it was wood and had steel wheels and sh't house truks. This was something you could storebuy. It wasnt wider than my foot either look what they ride now.
    Last edited by driftxtreem; 12-13-2003, 02:03 AM.

Comment

i think drifting is gonna get really big, for some reason it just blew up big at an astonishing rate; when i first hear about drifting, it was about 5 years ago. That was when drifting wasnt even really that heard of in the states.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think that drifting will be a fad for the masses and only a long term thing for those who are truly passionate about it. I remember all the fads in high school back in the days that have dissappeared. Please do not take this the wrong way when I say this... I grew up around asians, all my friends are asian, my fiance is asian, but I know I'm white and proud of it. I'm sure that every other group had their fads, but I only witnessed these. In high school, the asians went through fads like they were outdated pants. There was the yo-yo fad in like 94-96 (remember that one), then there was the pager fad (people calling themselves to look cool), then there was the hang out at donut shops fad (yeah, I said it, donut shops), then there was the sagging fad (pants below the butt fad, wtf?!) anyways, my point being... drifting is new to the united states, the media is glorifying it, every import magazine is focusing on it, and it's blowing up like crazy. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Business Management where I spent a lot of time studying marketing and fads. This is going to be cyclical. The birth stage, The expansion stage, The decline stage, then death. I love drifting and am not following a fad just to be part of the masses but I am afraid all this will die down in the end. For those that are truly passionate, this isn't for media attention, this isn't for money or selling magazines, this is for OUR adrenalin rush. If it is your passion, stick around, we have many years of fun to come.

Comment

Exactly. And go back to what it was before.

Comment

Actually EVERYTHING can be considered a fad. In some form or another. but Subie man is right. Birth, growth, fade, death. It's natural. Gonna happen. Gotta listen to a guy who managed to find a 5'8" Viet volleyball player. That deserves my respect right there. Am I envious. Hell yea.

But seriously, does it really matter what will happen to Drifting fi you are going to stay in it? Nah not really. Only thing this is doing is making it easier to get parts over here. After the fad dies out, the police will forget about it, things will go back to the way there were and you will still be drifting. If your good maybe you will be remembered by a few out there who saw you pulling a beautiflul sweeping right hander in your hayday. But that's about it.

Skill will always be remembered in the small circle of the true hearts. The ones who were there in the old days and can remember when the general public though Drifting was considered to be 3 rednecks pulling donuts in the K-mart parking lot. That's the ones you want to remember. Not the fly by nighters that come out to one event, take it to the streets and then give up after 2 mailboxes and a flower bed.

Even after it is beaten down by sponsers, companies and the police it will still inspire awe. Like watching Foilmans video. Nothing brings people to the edge of their seats like someone seemingly out of control in their car who brings it back in perfectly at the last second. To regular people, you are a superhero. Someone who defies the laws of physics that they have built up in their head since they started driving. You have to think like a regular joe. They think that once the car loses traction, thats it. So everyday they try everything to keep that car in a straight line. Slowing to a crawl to make a turn, dropping to 35 to change lanes, checking every possible direction 4 times before making a turn. To them this is safe. Then here comes Captain Slideways and blows all of their safe thinking out of the water. To them, that is incredible. You are a hero to them. Whether they want to admit it or not.

So if you like, stick with it. the true hearts will come and stay and the fakers will come and go. Drifting is something that requires a terrible amount of skill. Much more I think than Drag racing. So alot of people are not going to take to it and quit.

Hang in there.

Comment

I Agree...

I couldnt have said that more pefrect.
              I think the original question though was just concerned about drifting as a sport though.
              But I still agree, I've had my share of close-to-death drift accidents, ditches, and even some scarry flat tires that I had to fix all by my self, but im still here. I've been into this for about four and a half years now. Im not going anywhere. Except maybe D-1!!

Nice post Ghost.

hang in there too
              Last edited by eFINI_FC; 12-15-2003, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X