No announcement yet.

anybody know what BOV Drift King uses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the sound of re-routed BOVs. I dont like loud ones they are arrogent and annoying. A nice pssssss willl suffice.

Comment

that video clip actually sounds like the turbo is backspooling from using NO blow-off valve. i know the drifter x and xl used (and may still) that set up, and i wouldnt be supprised if a lot of other people in japan do that... no bov is good for throttle resopnse, bad for turbos.

Comment

a friend that i showed the vid to said the same. sounds like no BOV at all. thats why i was thinkin maybe recirculating bypass valve or dump valve. i just dont get how it flutters like that instead of a single "pshhh" like most BOVs i hear...

from the factory, my car has 2 recirc valves. is there a way i can bypass or plug them to see if then it makes that noise? that way at least we can rule out or rule in the NO BOV theory... i dont think running like that just once would harm the turbos...

Comment

so routing it back to the intake wont make it flutter?
          So then how do u do it? My dum a$$ friends say to loosen the spring but they drive all motor hondas so i dont believe those nut heads.

Comment

so routing it back to the intake wont make it flutter?
            So then how do u do it? My dum a$$ friends say to loosen the spring but they drive all motor hondas so i dont believe those nut heads.

Comment

owned by the double post...your getting banned for this..lol

Comment

Compressor surge is no joke. It will own turbos in days. You should always run a BOV. The turbine actually chops through the air becuase it has backed up, causing that sound. If you run a Ball bearing turbo with a 360 degree thrust bearing it can take it for a while but it does NOT actually help lag much becuase it slows the wheel SOOOO much.

If you want that sound get a super sequential from HKS. If anybody has ever seen the Advan drift video with the S15 that is a SS from HKS. Sounds like compressor surge but its the BOV. Another good thing about that BOV is you can put different inserts in the inside to get different sounds, higher pitch or deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ichi-Go
                  Compressor surge is no joke. It will own turbos in days.
                  Not true. My cheap Greddy turbo kit that's on my Miata was run without a BOV for over two years with no ill-effects. The turbo is still on the car and working fine. This was at 6 psi of boost. Greddy warranties their kit, at 5 psi of boost, without a BOV...

If you're talking 12 or more psi of boost, then compressor surge may harm the turbo over the course of a couple weeks of constant WOT. But compressor surge at low boost levels isn't going to kill anything. Its not advised to run without a BOV but at the same time its not going to own a turbo in days to not run one.

Comment

Originally posted by kaosman
                    a couple weeks of constant WOT.
                    ...hmmmm.... that would be FUN!! but i dont get that kind of gas mileage

If you're talking 12 or more psi of boost...
                    we are, i run 15-16 psi.

but i really dont get how this noise can be a bad thing when its all i hear on WRC Rally cars and all these top-end JDM highly modded cars.... maybe its just some JDM-only BOV or Dump Valve or Recirc Valve....

can anyone maybe locate a write up, online or in a mag, of a car that MAKES this sound and see what Valve, if any, they use? cause i never see any high end JDM cars without one...

Comment

If the flutter sound is what you're looking for, you could always tighten up your BOV adjustment screw (if whichever BOV you're looking at has one). I run a A'pexi Twin Chamber BOV on my RX, and due to leakage issues at 18 psi I had to tighten it down some. The result is the flutter noise at anything below 7 psi, like moderate passing or a quick stab of the throttle. For reference, the turbo that I'm running is a Turbonetics T04S "60-1", and I've been running the tightened BOV for 8 months now, no ill effects. However I'm running it this way because I have no choice, not because I like the sound.

Comment

thats nice news! at least we're getting somewhere. also helps that Apex-i is one of the few direct fit kits for the Z32 TT. just the Apex, HKS & TurboXS. plus i get to have 2 of em

so if its that simple, then sweet. does your car basically sound like this one?:

http://web.bitnet.net/liqqe/MADs%20...00SX%20s14a.wmv

Comment

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet it's a HKSSQ, but based of the sound Supras give, I doubt your 300zx will make the same sound. If you catch the Best Motoring video where they have the Super Car Shootout with the GTR, Supra, Rx7, and Silvia, the sound the Supra makes is also a HKS SSQ. It doesn't make that flutter sound. I believe it does have to do with either keeping the piston tight or loose. If it's loose, it'll flutter back and forth. Listen to it tight though. It sounds awesome. On another note, 1.8T VWs have a diverter valve and also make that flutter sound, but very quietly. Also, if you have a MAF car, bovs=bad for the car. it'll run rich going into shifts. My cars metered and I'm sticking to a DV.

Comment

Endee, I've love to listen to that clip but the link is broken.

Comment

Yeah Bee+R racing has a wickedly badass one in Best MOtoring vol.24. THe HKS Race sounds similar also. So it could be that one I checked the specks and it didnot say. It just said bee R special out let if they were referring to the BOV, so it could be a bee r special. I am going to drink some bee r.

Comment

Rally cars dont use BOV's they use some crazy expensive anti lag system to keep full boost all the time. I dont know much about it but it is really effective and really expensive.

It might be like an electronic BOV that opens just enough so the pressure stays constant.

5 psi is nothing and will not need a BOV but I doubt you had much compressor surge at that psi. Since most people with SR's run 12-15 I would say a BOV is key.

Comment

Working...
                                X