Front-biased AWD question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front-biased AWD question...

I have never gotten to take a good up-close and in-it's-business look at a front-biased AWD system. So, I was sondering:

Do front-biased systems (Honda CR-V, Celica All-trac, Nissan Pulsar GTi-R, EVO) require slip sensors on the rear differential the way that rear-biased ones (Subaru, Skyline GT-R, Audi) do?

Despite the resistance I might recieve, I am thinking about putting the AWD 3S-GTE, AWD CR-V block / VTEC head or AWD SR20DET drivetrain into a CRX that I am getting. I'd rather have RWD or AWD in stock form, but this CRX is not a deal that I'm willing to pass up and I'll have several thousand left over to do with what I please...

Thanks for any input!

-MR

I dont know anything about your drivetrain questions. But i personaly like CRX's (only for show purposes) I think it would be sweet if you could fit a 3S-GTE motor in there with the AWD tranny somhow. Seems to me the Wheelbases (Front to rear) are different from a celica and CRX. Plus theres the issue of trying to mount all of the drivtrain safely and properly. But if its possible... Then do it. I Think the 3S-GTE Would be a perfect motor for that.

Comment

It'll cost ya around 7500$ to do that conversion. All new tranny and dif mounts, new oil pump, new exhaust, new fuel pump, new ecu, new ignition, new rotors and calipers (for an easier job than try to fit it on original rotors ). And the price I stated is for used and jobber parts. If you wanna do it, please! go ahead. I think you would be the only one. But be sure you thought of everything because you will hate to get stuck in the middle of it.

Good luck dude, may the.....ummmm....mechanical force be with you.

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S
        I dont know anything about your drivetrain questions. But i personaly like CRX's (only for show purposes) I think it would be sweet if you could fit a 3S-GTE motor in there with the AWD tranny somhow. Seems to me the Wheelbases (Front to rear) are different from a celica and CRX. Plus theres the issue of trying to mount all of the drivtrain safely and properly. But if its possible... Then do it. I Think the 3S-GTE Would be a perfect motor for that.

Why not the AWD platform from a CRV with a b20?

Comment

i don't know about all this...

it doesn't seem like it would only be 7000 dollars to complete a project like this.

It's seems like an odd idea to me, but I guess it's up to you to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
            Why not the AWD platform from a CRV with a b20?
            Sure why not. I just really like the 3S-GTE motor

Comment

Comment

I think you would need a lot more than 7k to fit an awd system to the crx. A lot of custom fabrication will probably be needed to make it work with the the crx wheelbase.

Comment

I say you should convert to RWD if you want to drift, and AWD if you want to grip.

Comment

Well, for all those used parts, it doesn't cost more than 7500$ US to do that conversion. Well, that adds up to 9975$CAD.

I dont thin it would cost more than that if he does most of the work. I could be wrong though. I know nothing about CRXs.

Spec.

Comment

The guy who did it is in canada.

Comment

I would have to say the best idea would be to go RWD. And maby try to see if parts of the s2000 could help you on your way. You will need ALOT of parts to pull this off. Rear end, tranny, new rotors and such. probally Not worth the time and money unless you plan on really showing this off. not to mention ll the custom fabbed stuff. And if you mechanicaly enclined it wil be a little cheaper. But hey if you pul it off then Dayum u will have a nice ride. If you get half way through and cant finish you wil have wasted alot of money and time. think wisely before chosing and GL with whatever you choose.

Comment

I'm not a Honda guy, but I was thinking the CR-V drivetrain with a B18C5 (which would be swapped, tuned and broken in while I map out the elements of the AWD setup). From what I understand, most of the B-series motors have interchangable transmissions so CR-V drivetrain ought to fit. Even using the CR-V motor, a VTEC head and turbo system would make around 350 horse, which would be ample for the 2000lb CRX.

Honda Tuning magazine has been doing an AWD Integra Type R project using the CR-V drivetrain and B18, so putting a similar setup in the smaller CRX would not be too different. Driveline Inc. will build just about anything you could think of, including a super-short driveshaft to fit a CRX. Fitting it would not really be a problem, since if this were to happen I would most likely build sub-frames for the differential and motor and cut away anything that is in the way and re-weld replacement panels back on.

I would be building this monster primarily for grip and sure-footedness, but I also do my share of drag racing and have always been a rabid fan of the All Wheel Drift! If all goes well I'm sure that the car would see the show circuit as part of a kind of "rolling portfolio" which will later include a RWD 4G63T or SR20-powered Geo Tracker.

Do the Front-biased AWD systems have sensors on the rear differential? I would imagine that they would only need to detect slip on the fronts since it won't be sending power away from the rear like the RWD systems do... If I were to import a 3S-GTE or SR20 AWD system, I would have to specify ALL of the parts I need, including sensors, so this could turn out to be very important.

The only parts I'd be worried about are the rear spindles (since the CRX's are designed with the double-wishbones) and the ECU and AWD sensors (because I'm not that skilled when it comes to electronics)

CHAS - is there an E-mail address or website of that canadian guy? I have only seen the pictures which are on other people's websites...

Thanks for the help!

-MR

Comment

Why not just buy a civic? Honda already produced an AWD civic.

Comment

because I allready have the CRX, and I doubt that the AWD civic's drivetrain will hold up to very high power levels. Besides, they're near impossible to find in Florida where I live.

-MR

Comment

Working...
                              X