No announcement yet.

Mid Enging Layout AKA MR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thread... and in risk of talking out of my *Censored**Censored**Censored* like some of the people here... i'd rather not.

Comment

Originally posted by RiDE
      Funny thread... and in risk of talking out of my *Censored**Censored**Censored* like some of the people here... i'd rather not.
      Don't tell me you want to build an all motor 1.6l 4 banger as well?

Comment

Haha, well do you know a better NA engine that can give me the same results for that price?

Comment

Yea, the 305 in my camaro. Thing is a piece of crap, I'll GIVE it to you after I finish my 383, which should produce about 400 allmotor, pushrod, 2 valve per cylender horsepower and more torque for about 1/8 of your 8,000 dollar budget, but I searched out some great deals. If you wanted to be really cheap you could put vortec heads and a bumpy cam on that 305 and make up around 300 horse and 370 odd ft-lbs for about 700 bucks in parts with proper exhaust and tuning. (You could do it for less if you were resourcefull.)

Wait....you ment four cylender? Well hell...you can buy a porsche 968 for a bit more than 8,000 bucks and make about 240 all motor four cylender horsepower. You get a nicer car than the 86 will ever be to go with it too. The S2000 achieves that level of performance with a stock powerplant as well, and I bet you could source that motor for less than 8 grand. For less than 8,000 you could definately build a B18 and make that kind of power as well.

For street use the motors you are talking about are a black hole that sucks your money in and doesn't give you crap for performance in return.

Comment

My budget was never 8000, i said for less then that :P lol

Anyways the f20 engine itself is not cheap.. around 4000 for just the engine (no wiring harness, no ecu) used from japan. The engine i spoke of would be around 5, no more then 6000 this INCLUDES everything including installign the engine.

Buying an engine is one thing... being bale to put it in is another.

Once again i ask you to name another engine that could be installed and tune to such a degree for the price

Problem with a non-4age engine is youll need a new clutch tranny, driveshaft, if its overly strong (such as a v engine) a new back end would be needed to take the power, wiring, tuning, ecu to run it properly. mounts for everything listed above.

the f20 tranny for example, to be pout into an 86 the inside needs to be stripped enough to get to the tranny bell and modify it to accept the tranny with enough clearance.

20v bolts up with minor modification, since nothing complicated needs to be swapped or beefed up really.

Comment

What IS your budget? I was hung up on the 8 g's thing. For 6k, turbocharge your current lump. Even if you pay someone else to do it you'll walk away with a good 2k in your pocket you would have spent doing the F20.

Honestly dude I think spending 6k to make that kind of power in is some sort of bad joke.

I do, however, understand that you like your car and you're set on that motor, so if that is the case then definately go for it. But, at least do the swap yourself and save the pain of having to pay someone to do something you could have done. Besides, that way when you pop the hood you can point and say "See that motor? That motor right there? I put that in." That's a good thing.

Comment

Being able to do a majority of the work myself is one reason the cost is so low.

Anyways >IF< i ever do manage to build this engine this car would be pretty much but track oriented. If this was a weekend warrior i would definetly take turbo, who knows i still may it depends on how serious i decide to become with this project.

Your not realyl saving 2k though compared to a f20 engine. I mean..sure i could -HAVE- the engine. but i wouldnt be able to put the damn thing in, i wouldnt be able to wire it properly, and the stock 86 ecu wouldnt run it at all. In all honest a f20 swap costs 13-15 grand or more (check around club 4a with peopel who have done it, magazine articles where otehrs have done it, and of course BMI where someone has done it and gave an exact price)

Its not a swap you could easily do on your own either, unless you had all the tools needed or had access to them.. but i dont, so id have to pay someone to do it and do the job properly.
                __

So bottom line: it comes down to if ill go serious track car and get my hands on this engine... oorr weekend warrior style and just do a turbo.

Comment

Haha, well do you know a better NA engine that can give me the same results for that price?

f24 already makes 240hp.

so yes, for less than 8k, yes.

Comment

After looking into it the first thing i found was something about an electric engine

Keep in mind; engines themself can be purchased easily in that price range, swapping them IN however is expensive. if it is an electric motor.. that would suck.

Comment

that's why you have to do your own swap.

Honestly it's not as hard as it seems. There's no mystery to anything in cars, you just have to be patient and methodical.

Comment

sorry.

i'm a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, i left the thread open all day and didn't reply til after you guys had already said the s2000 thing.

f20, not f24. although isn't the new one bigger?

i don't know, just disregard my previous statement.

Comment

Well as i said, its not so easy to do your own swap :P the 4age would actually be doable on my part with the help of a friend.

a total engine swap like the f20 though, i simply dont have the tools to do the job. I dont have the means to properly cut or fabricate the parts needed. Custom mounts, drive shaft, etc. nor would i even know how with mt resources, that type of engine would be my best bet for a track car.
                          __

I assume your talking about the new s2500 or whatever, basicly an s2k hardtop right? dont know about the engine at all in it.. just heard it was going to be improved in certain areas and finally a hardtop (yay!) it already handles nicely but with that, weight can be removed (it takes metal to make topless cars rigid ya know) and a good solid roof can be added to help make it more rigid, rollcage would be that much more practical too.
                          Last edited by SidewaysGts; 10-08-2004, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I assume your talking about the new s2500 or whatever, basicly an s2k hardtop right? dont know about the engine at all in it.. just heard it was going to be improved in certain areas and finally a hardtop (yay!) it already handles nicely but with that, weight can be removed (it takes metal to make topless cars rigid ya know) and a good solid roof can be added to help make it more rigid, rollcage would be that much more practical too.
                            no no, i mean the 05' s2000. i believe they are upping the displacement either .2 or .4 liters to improve torque and bring the redline down to 8500.

Comment

it's 2.2 liters, so it's already been stroked out. so you really can't make it 2.4.

Comment

isnt that what theyre doing to the hardtop though coming out?

Comment

Working...
                                X