No announcement yet.

VG30, RB26, or SR20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definatly not a fan of Honda. I don't mind other people that drive them, I just dont want one\part of one. I'm a very big Nissan kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by VertigoEpidemic
      Plus the RB has an AWD tranny. That could be bad or good. Bad being how am I going to set up AWD in my car, and good being... well come on, and AWD 300zx, thats cool. WRX here I come!!

*sigh*

So many plans so little money.

Anymore thoughts on what I should do?
      I'd personaly like to see a 330zx go AWD, its original and unique; but your major problem would be all the extra money to get it even possible to go AWD.

Its still awsome to think about...

Comment

If you would like to use an RB26 without the AWD system, then you should stick with a Skyline GTS gearbox.

AWD in a 300ZX? Yeah, but is there enough place to put another shaft to the front axle?

Comment

smallblock v8, 400hp, 400 lb/ft burnouts in every gear, cheap and 'easy' to swap, carbs are good.

for some reason v8s piss people off

Comment

VG30dett would be the logical thing but working on them as a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing pain

SR20det would be a good conversion but needs a lot of HP to be worthwhile and a decent trans.
            RB26 is the weapon of choice but would require cutting the firewall or moving the rad elsewhere. Btw , most GTR's are 5 speed and only the R34 ( 1999 onwards ) came with the Getrag 6 speed.
            Personally I would go with the VG TT and make damn sure the turbos , water , cambelt, water intake hoses, clutch have all been replaced, repaired before dropping the engine in.

Comment

I not sure if to many of you guys know htis but back in the 80's there was a japaness sports car based on the 300zx called the 200zr. it was a z31 300zx with a rb20det in the front. I just saying that the older Zs where pretty crampt under the hood and tey fit a rb in there with ease. I dont see it being to much of a problem wit a newer Z. (I would still like to see a sr in it tho)
              Attached Files

Comment

Logic... hell who needs it!

Yeah a VGTT would be the most logical engine to go with... I was also thinking about the VQ35 put a bit more displacement behind the wheels...

I'm not a V8 fan... to big. 6 cylinders is enough for me. Torque is great, but comes at a cost... mainly weight.

I like the idea of AWD, and that would be pretty cool none the less. Though I'd need some kind of sponsor to throw some money into it because I think that job might be a bit over my budget. Don't really like stickers though. (personal preferance)

I'd have to learn/teach my self a bit more about AWD trannys and find out how they work, but I think it would be possible. More then likely a pain in the butt, though it would be pretty cool.

A VQ should fit... shouldn't it?

Comment

i was thinking you can always buy the block and wiring. then build the engine with new components (stroker kit). that is if you have the money.

Comment

Yeah... money would be a big issue really. The VGTT would be the cheapest to go with really, because it would take the least amount of body modification. It would (in a sence) just slide right in. I'd love to put the RB with AWD in, but that would take quite a bit of money to faricate parts. So basically... either I start saving money or get a sponsor(s).

Comment

You live in America....

RB parts and SR parts are imported and are MUCH more expensive than any part found for a VG30DETT.

There are thousands of VG engines.. and thousands of VG30DETT parts available in the USA, made in the USA and thousands of parts in junkyards.

If you want a fairly cost effective, and power effective engine for your car the VG30DETT is the most reasonable idea.

THink about it.. with an RB .... imagine ordering a broken water pump, or timing belt from AutoZone... not gonna happen, you have special order it from JAPAN and pay tons of money to get it shipped in, and a while for shipping.

SR parts are available from previous FWD powerplants from the Nissan Sentra SE-R and the NX2000 but for the RWD platform that may be a problem.

I have seen several 300ZX's and Skyline's race.. and the engine's power, torque and durability are very similar and I have seen 300ZX's kill Skyline's at the 1/4 mile ... in Colorado.. which is 6,000 feet ASL.

Comment

Originally posted by LexmarkX73
                        smallblock v8, 400hp, 400 lb/ft burnouts in every gear, cheap and 'easy' to swap, carbs are good.

for some reason v8s piss people off
                        Hehe I like the way you think. Probably because they don't understand how their Civic with a fart can and wing(which of course has to be fast, they saw it in 2F2F) gets owned by V8's with nothing done to them. Well that, and they don't want to admit that the "old tech" V8 sounds better than their fart can.

Seriosly though, go with the VG30 twin turbo. Swaps right in, no ordering parts from Japan, more torque than either the SR or RB, and can make gobs of power.

Comment

Ok... so its pretty much desided... VG30DETT

But, I still like the idea of AWD... How could I pull that one off?

Comment

Working...
                          X