importing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing

I'm about to move back to the states from Japan and I'm not going to leave my 1992 RHD Silvia K's behind. Does anyone know of a reliable source that can tell me what I need to do to be able to bring her back with me? I've tried reading through the DOT website but it''s hard to filter through all the BS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What state are you coming into? How long have you owned the car?

Comment

I'm a resident of Texas but I'm going to be statined in Cali (Ventura area)

Comment

Oops, forgot. I've owned the car for a little over a year. I bought it off a Japanes dealership that was using it as a dealer car. 75K miles and completely original. I'm a little hesitant to add modify it until I can at least get back stateside.

Comment

this way off topic but here i go.
          ive been wanting to join military
          so that i could get shipped over to japan how did you do it
          what branch

Comment

I joined the Navy about 5 1/2 years ago and ended up in Japan 3 1/2 years ago and have been trying to get back to the states ever since. Very nice country and extremely nice people but I can only live without Dos Equis for so long.

Comment

I don't know if this will work in your case, but I have heard of other people doing it...

Bring it in and have the DMV register it as "Substantially Similar To" a 240SX. Or, bring it in on the east coast and have some DMV out in the boonies register it as like a kit car or custom build car.... or just call the DMV HQ.

I don't know how things are in TX, but CA seems to be very picky about cars. I know there are emission laws in TX but I don't know how bad it is for you guys. Here in GA we pretty much don't give a rats... So bringing it in over here would be the easiest, but floating it would be a bit expensive probably.

Best thing to do (legally) is contact the DMV of CA or TX and talk to them about it. If all else fails, anything can happen at the right price.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

Sweet, I live in Ventura... but unless you register the car out of Texas you are SOL on bringing it here. There is a lady that lives in Spanish Hills, a rich people place near me, that has a 4 door R34. You can bring a car like that if you have owned it for 3 years overseas. Then you can only have it for so long. If you register it out of TX you need a DMV address in TX. The CHP in this area, however, will get the DMV to try and require you register in CA if you stay here for too long.

Seabee's base or Magu?

Comment

I kind of figured having it registered in TX would be a safer bet over Cali. but I'm more concerned with just getting statesside. I've heard all kinds of rumors that I'm going to have to make safety modifications beforehand. Can you shed any light on this?
                    I'm heading to Mugu.

Comment

for military, (airforce) e8 rank will get you to ship anything free, or so ive heard. good luck legalizing it in cali, all the stupid laws, makes it more expensive, i believe. some thigns are 49 state legal cuz cali has one of the worlds most stupidest laws. mere engines(sr and rbs) giving out pollution, i guess dump trucks, 18 wheelers and the like are not included. or the ppl are oblivious.

Comment

As far as I know there are some people that have had no prob with this others it is a S#!TFEST. You can put 240 doors, 240 tailights and 240 windows to get rid of 90% of the BS. I think that the military offers suggestions and help in this area somewhere. I would not contact the CA DMV because they will straight up tell you it can't be done, even if it can. They are notorious for being total *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* .

Comment

Bring it in to a port that either:

A) knows thier *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* well
                          or
                          B) "knows nothing about it"

If you go the (A) rought, there is bound to be someone to help you out that can do it legally. If you go (B), then find someone that will say... "hmmm 240sx... 'check' " *moves on the next car*

Like I've said before... Anything can be done for a price. The only problem I see about bringing it east side is the cost for shipping.

Comment

Working...
                          X