No announcement yet.

So, I won't be drifting for a while...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I won't be drifting for a while...

... Dropped a rod.

Thats gotta be the worst sound in the world to hear coming out of your engine. Now its going to sit in my driveway for a couple months while I pinch my pennies for another engine.

Or should I just have it rebuilt? I don't have the technical know-how to acutally break down an engine myself, so rebuilding it on my own would be a bit tough.

ahh man that sucks, my friend is thinking about getting a 300zx and putting a sr20 in it to lighten it up, and some assorted carbon fiber parts hes striving for 2800lbs hahaha. work as much as you can so you can get back out their man

Comment

don't you normally "throw" rods ?

if you did throw one you would have a hole in the block and basically need a whole new motor

Comment

Agreed, the inside of your block probably isnt happy, and if it flew through the side of your engine well.. the engine is screwed as is.

This might be the time to consider replacing it, OR swapping a new one into it. Keep in mind if you do replace/swap, its MUCH easier to do work to an engine outside a car Flywheel camshafts valves pistons conrods conrod bolts (id def upgrade the conrod bolts to arp or something to be on the safe side if u can) etc.. u get the idea.

May have to pinch those pennies longer but you wont get another chance to do this for awhile, so consider your options carefuly.

Comment

wrong...

Rods can bend or stretch without putting holes in anything and without busting up the block. If they brake, then you will be looking at more work.

Yea, you usually throw rods not drop them. You can drop valves though

And yes, you can probably fix it yourself. It's not that hard. Get a manual, get a GOOD torque wrench (not a 30 dollar special), and take your time. It's just going to take you a while. Also, you can just go find a solid bottom end and swap that in, that would be easier.

edited because i somehow confused you with vigvoodo. Sorry vig, lol.
          Last edited by Parry; 10-07-2004, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X