No announcement yet.

FC3s or s14 for drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the FC doesnt have drift parts!?!? no WAY!!!

thats the funniest thing iver ever heard... the 240 has more "drift parts"!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyrie
      I think I'd like to hear your definition of drift parts first...

The only part of a car actively involved in drifting are the tires.

Anything else is just "go fast" parts and suspension settings that can help with drifting.
      you more than just "suspension settings," you need a strong transmisson, excellent suspension, and a relieable motor, along with good tires. you cant just drift good because you have $1000 dollar tires

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyrie
        I think I'd like to hear your definition of drift parts first...
        Anything that is labelled "drift" by the manufacturer.
        Also, anything made BEFORE drifting got big I do not consider being parts for "drift".

The only part of a car actively involved in drifting are the tires.

Anything else is just "go fast" parts and suspension settings that can help with drifting.
        So you've just contradicted yourself here?

HKS Hypermax D' dampers - specifically made for drift, and it's explicitly stated in the HKS literature.

Tein does this also with some of their damper models.

As far as I know, Trust / GReddy does not label any of their parts as "drift" in their literature.

There are a lot of "drift" specific parts for the FC that have come out recently - i.e. Super Now tie rods.

FEED doesn't make drift specific tie rods, nor do they sponsor a drift car.
        Same goes with R.E.A.

Comment

as a FC driver...

ill say fc!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by driftex
            you more than just "suspension settings," you need a strong transmisson, excellent suspension, and a relieable motor, along with good tires. you cant just drift good because you have $1000 dollar tires

No you don't. That's only if you want to drift without breaking your car.

And I consider those things to be go-fast parts (well, the car's original quality at least), not drift parts.
            Last edited by Valkyrie; 12-16-2004, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by f8ldzz
              Anything that is labelled "drift" by the manufacturer.
              Also, anything made BEFORE drifting got big I do not consider being parts for "drift".

So you've just contradicted yourself here?

HKS Hypermax D' dampers - specifically made for drift, and it's explicitly stated in the HKS literature.

Tein does this also with some of their damper models.

As far as I know, Trust / GReddy does not label any of their parts as "drift" in their literature.

There are a lot of "drift" specific parts for the FC that have come out recently - i.e. Super Now tie rods.

FEED doesn't make drift specific tie rods, nor do they sponsor a drift car.
              Same goes with R.E.A.
              Looks like you've contradicted yourself as well. And here you were saying there are hardly any drift parts for the FC... although I personally consider aftermarket tie rods to simply be upgrades in durability, not "driftability." (any increase of the cars ability to drift is purely coincidental with the increase of whatever function the part enhances, imo.)

Also, just because some tuner company says their parts are meant for drift doesn't mean they're any better than any other similar parts that do essentially the same thing (and even if they are the difference would be minimal). I'm sure you could get any other Tein or HKS coilover system in the same car to drift just as well with the same settings.

So having the manufacturer label them as "drift" is just them trying to make money off of a fad. Marketing claims mean NOTHING to me without proof to back them up.

Also, tires ARE the only thing directly involved with drifting. Having a "drift" suspension is like having upgraded brakes: all the increased hardware potential in the world isn't going to make you do whatever you're trying to do better without tires than can match the hardware. I'm not saying that there's such a thing as drift tires (unless you're talking about RC) or that buying expensive tires will make drifting easier, simply that they are physically the only thing directly involved in drifting, which is determined by the fiction between the road and your tires.

If anything, the truest "drift part" would be a spin-turn knob for a handbrake, as that would be a part directly involved in making drifting easier.

One more thing: You seem to have forgotten that the original arguement was that the 240SX has more "drift parts" than the FC. I'm sure that Tein and HKS make "drift" coilovers for both, and you stated that there are a lot more "drift" parts for the FC now, so... yeah.

Comment

i used to drift a S chassis . now i have fc turbo and it matches me better alot better. im think im going to be sticking with fc's for quite some time.

Comment

dude, tighten up! I can guarantee more than 50% of the cars competing in D1 do NOT have all "drift parts" installed because its a drift car.

Comment

I agree there really are few "Drift" specific parts.

If you want to argue there are- then be my guest. But i just ask you label what SPECIFICLY about hte "drift parts" makes them designed for drifting, how do they differ from "non drift" upgrades.

One of the few "Drift specific" parts i can think of are certain front bumpers, designed to allow more air to go through the engine bay as the car goes sideways, instead of just when its goign straight. Some hoods also uset he same idea- scooping the back sides a little for better air flow while sideways.

Comment

sigh, ok look. From what i know, an FC is a great car. There are actually more FC's drifting at Enlishtown that S14s, and theyre pretty good cars when you get a talented driver. Fc's have market support too. S14's on the other hand have been dubbed a car that is easy to drift with. I dont understand what aspect of drifting would be easy but w/e. In the long run its up to you. I personally like the FC's lines and body, but the engine (although rotary) isnt a dream. The s14 looks to me a bit less out there but its still a beautiful car with a good engine. Its up to you, all the things people are posting are opinions just like mine!

Comment

imo i think that there are some things that you need to know about an fc and any "s" series nissan.

FC near perfect 50/50 wight balance (50.9 front / 49.8 rear)

fc has dss (directional stearing system) maning the rear tyres toe in under hard cornering. (if you can drift using this then you will have a light advantage in personal skill (however the s13 has hicas which is similar)

there are more moving parts in a sr20 series engine compaired to a rotary which has about 6 to 7 moving parts

parts are readily availabe for sr20's (ie. wreakers) not that there are none for fc's but there is more for sr20 due to the fact that most nissans (s13/14/15) use sr20's and seem to be written of more (here in oz any way not sure about where you live).

as for drift parts i second the opinion that just cause it says drift that it is better. coil overs save some weight and allow easy height adjustment, but they function like normal suspension. Hell here in oz we have ppl using gas shocks and rally shocks for drift.

but here is something to think about when did nissan or mazda make their engines for drift??

there is just a larger market for sr engines but you have your low budget parts and your top doller parts for both makes.

if you wanna see an fc drift car look at the famous "ox racing" or the "x5" cars.

well thats my 2 cents. ( by the way i'd got the fc) but you choose which 1 you like cause your gonna drift it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

s14! lots of support and decent torque.

www.driftfactory.com has kei office coils. tell'em i told ya to go there, theyre nice people. i have kei offices on my s13 and theyre awesome.

Comment

regardless of what brand you use for your car it doesn't make difference. wether it be kei office, hks,bilisten etc... thay have all spend thousands of dollers in r+d. so there for any part will do what you require its just your preference of brand or how much of a hole you want to put in you wallet. if you still cant decide what you want then go something totally different, imports a nissan cefiro or a jzx100 chaser.
                            Attached Files

Comment

what do you mean by "DRIFT" parts??? im confused here, just becuz a product says drift spec coilover, or drift brake pads means its a drift part? thats a ignorant thing to say. the parts dont make you drift the car, YOU DO~! it just matters to what YOUR setup preference is on how you want to control/feel on the car. dude, they dont say exhausts systems that are made to drag race or drag parts do they? come on guys use common sense.

Comment

Well actually depending on ur setup a good drag exhaust may be different from a good "Racing" exhaust. For example a slight amount of back pressure on an na car can help torque at lower rpms- but in a racing exhaust youll find exhausts that create a vacuum actually sucking the exhaust out of the engines, some may take this a step further with valve overlap.

But ya i still stand by what i said, when comparing a "drift" part to an actual race part, theres no difference really, just how you set it up and how you use it. Still the only "Drift" parts i can think of arre body parts which allow for air to move through the bay as the car is sideways- instead of focusing only on the aspect of air comming right at the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X