Fox Body Mustang Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toycoma View Post
    you need to truck it out.... and get as much weight off the front as possible. any plans on that? I know the cressida's steering response and such changed a lot when i swapped out the 7m to the sr because of the huge weight diffrence. If you haven't already, maybe you can ditch the 5 mph bumper and bumper cover for a fiberglass one and swap the hood out for something better. even if taking off the front bumper saves you 40 pounds, it's still a good savings since it is so far forward of the front wheels. It would go nicely with the weight saving you did when you ditched the ac stuff.
    We are not done cutting weight yet, aluminum cylinder heads are going to save us a few pounds, and battery re-location will get us a bit better front/rear balance. The hood has already been shelled out and is pretty light. We have some plans for the grill that will cut a few pounds, but for right now we have to keep the bumpers, etc as I still drive this car to work and such. Once I have a place to keep a truck and trailer, then they might become a possibility.

Comment

I hear a manual rack saves weight as well

Comment

Originally posted by d3p0 View Post
        I hear a manual rack saves weight as well
        That might be okay in an 86 or even a 240, but don't try it in a 80s domestic unless you have popeye arms. You'd have to thug it real hard and it would blow at slower speeds.

Comment

That's what Geoff seems to think.

Flaming River makes a 20:1 Ratio Manual rack (stock power steering is 15:1 and wayy too light / overboosted). Right now our weight is less than 2800 lbs with hundreds to go. Some stock FC's weighed ~2800 and came with manual racks and similar tire sizes.

Nothing beats the feel of a Manual Rack but you may be right, it might be too heavy.

Comment

be a man get a MANual rack

Comment

Originally posted by d3p0 View Post
              That's what Geoff seems to think.

Flaming River makes a 20:1 Ratio Manual rack (stock power steering is 15:1 and wayy too light / overboosted). Right now our weight is less than 2800 lbs with hundreds to go. Some stock FC's weighed ~2800 and came with manual racks and similar tire sizes.

Nothing beats the feel of a Manual Rack but you may be right, it might be too heavy.
              #1 I'm not that impressed with Flaming River products
              #2 Overboosted and non-linear can be fixed without getting rid of power steering.
              #3 Popeye arms is right, I still have to drive this thing around town

Comment

personally I dont think ditching the power steering to save a lbs is worth it. I drive a truck with manual steering, only time it sucks is when you are sitting still, other than that its fine.

If you guys wanted light how come you didnt go with a coupe? They cost more, but its not hard to get them into 2600 lb range.

You guys pulled the cruise control setup yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
                  personally I dont think ditching the power steering to save a lbs is worth it. I drive a truck with manual steering, only time it sucks is when you are sitting still, other than that its fine.

If you guys wanted light how come you didnt go with a coupe? They cost more, but its not hard to get them into 2600 lb range.

You guys pulled the cruise control setup yet?
                  Yeah, cruise control is out, HVAC, window washer, radio, carpet, all interior panels. most of the unneeded wiring.

Car is probably around 2800lbs right now. Need to get it on the scales again to be sure.

Comment

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1XVngSs5DcU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1XVngSs5DcU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

Comment

Angletown!

Ready for top Drift Battle!

Comment

washers or cut spindles?

put a write up on your site so i can send it to some freinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters View Post
                          washers or cut spindles?

put a write up on your site so i can send it to some freinds.
                          Neither, it was so easy that I cried a bit.

http://www.drift50.com/blog/geoffrey...ops-all-angles

Tell your friends that they should register for the site and chat it up with us about mustangs.

'Cuz we are freaky like that.

Comment

dont you get some really insane camber though from the sn95 arms?

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
                              dont you get some really insane camber though from the sn95 arms?
                              Yes, but we have caster/camber plates, so we can adjust that. I have it at around 3 degrees right now. You could probably set it to 1.5 degrees if you are really concerned about tire wear, but we are talking about drifting here.

Comment

yea I know, I was just under the impression that not even camber plates could bring the tire straight again from that much camber.

btw tried to sign up on the forum but the anti-spam graph never works right for me

Comment

Working...
                                X