drift SCION tc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hach1r0k1d03 View Post
    theres some pretty good talk about a possible rwd toyota compact set to come out in around 3 years. theres a big thread about it on club4ag.
    Be nice if that was true, but as of last month, Toyota has told their tech.s and engineers that there will be NO RWD compact car in the near future.

Comment

My issue with the car is how much of the build is based off its 4WD chassis twin from over seas? What components were used from 4wd Toyota Avensis? If basically none were use and everything is one off and custom it totally disobeys the rules of formula d in my opinion.

If RSR can build a FWD with a custom RWD drive train and suspension setup you mind as well let people build tube chassis purpose built drift cars that have no similar traits to the actual production car other then the body panels.

IMO this isn't the spirit of drifting and this should not be acceptable by all means.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
        My issue with the car is how much of the build is based off its 4WD chassis twin from over seas? What components were used from 4wd Toyota Avensis? If basically none were use and everything is one off and custom it totally disobeys the rules of formula d in my opinion.

If RSR can build a FWD with a custom RWD drive train and suspension setup you mind as well let people build tube chassis purpose built drift cars that have no similar traits to the actual production car other then the body panels.

IMO this isn't the spirit of drifting and this should not be acceptable by all means.
        Maybe so, but I feel that this is where Professional Drifting is headed. Purpose built, tube chassis cars. Look at the majority of Professional Racing, they aren't stock cars by ANY means. NASCAR, ALMS, Grand Am, SCORE, CORR, their vehicles aren't stock, but have the look (sorta in NASCAR, the decals kinda match, you know ) of a stock car. Last time I checked I couldn't buy a full Carbon Fiber, tube chassis RX-8 at my local Mazda dealer, or a Fiber Glass, tube chassis Frontier at my local Nissan dealer, either.

Rules, yes it broke them (maybe). Spirit, sorta until you look at how Professional Racing has developed. Formula D might be going at it at a faster pace. Just remember this advice that a wise old racing sage told me, "Racing Costs Money, How Fast Do You Want To Go?"

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
          Be nice if that was true, but as of last month, Toyota has told their tech.s and engineers that there will be NO RWD compact car in the near future.
          Ehhh, don't think so. It's actually being built by Subaru for Toyota and will be Toyota badged. Scheduled to be in production by late 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by sa-drift.com View Post
            Ehhh, don't think so. It's actually being built by Subaru for Toyota and will be Toyota badged. Scheduled to be in production by late 2009.
            Like I said, this is what I'm hearing from Toyota people from the Toyota Engineers, from Toyota Technicians for the Toyota dealership I work for.

Comment

Maybe so, but I feel that this is where Professional Drifting is headed. Purpose built, tube chassis cars. Look at the majority of Professional Racing, they aren't stock cars by ANY means. NASCAR, ALMS, Grand Am, SCORE, CORR, their vehicles aren't stock, but have the look (sorta in NASCAR, the decals kinda match, you know ) of a stock car. Last time I checked I couldn't buy a full Carbon Fiber, tube chassis RX-8 at my local Mazda dealer, or a Fiber Glass, tube chassis Frontier at my local Nissan dealer, either.

Rules, yes it broke them (maybe). Spirit, sorta until you look at how Professional Racing has developed. Formula D might be going at it at a faster pace. Just remember this advice that a wise old racing sage told me, "Racing Costs Money, How Fast Do You Want To Go?"
              Without going into huge detail

Drifting isn't ready to be a one off motorsport.

If you been around this "game" "industry" "scene" or what ever you may want to cal it for a long enough time you would see why I say this. The sport will fail if this happens.

Comment

Without going into huge detail

Drifting isn't ready to be a one off motorsport.

If you been around this "game" "industry" "scene" or what ever you may want to cal it for a long enough time you would see why I say this. The sport will fail if this happens.
                Well, I don't know about fail. You can't say something is going to fail until it happens. I remember Rhys Millen commenting on RedlineTV when they were doing the episode on the high performance vehicles used for movie and commercial shoots. He stated that he felt that it was the direction that Professional drifting HAD to go, including jumps and some other stuff when he had the Pro 2WD truck (looked like the same one he was going to use in the "Truck Flip"). I thought he was crazy to mention it at the time, but I do feel that tube chassis vehicles are inevitable in the future of Professional Drifting.

Comment

Well, I don't know about fail. You can't say something is going to fail until it happens. I remember Rhys Millen commenting on RedlineTV when they were doing the episode on the high performance vehicles used for movie and commercial shoots. He stated that he felt that it was the direction that Professional drifting HAD to go, including jumps and some other stuff when he had the Pro 2WD truck (looked like the same one he was going to use in the "Truck Flip"). I thought he was crazy to mention it at the time, but I do feel that tube chassis vehicles are inevitable in the future of Professional Drifting.
                  I would bet money that it doesn't happen in the next 3 or 4 years. Drifting won't ever happen on a 2 mile oval, and there will never be events with more than about 20-25k people, therefore there won't be $1m sponsorships, and therefore, tube chassis cars will never happen.

Plus, at the point where they go tube chassis, everyone will have to build new cars. Too many teams are having problems already as it is with travel costs and build costs with $50k cars, building $150k - $200k tube chassis cars will kill the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                    I would bet money that it doesn't happen in the next 3 or 4 years. Drifting won't ever happen on a 2 mile oval, and there will never be events with more than about 20-25k people, therefore there won't be $1m sponsorships, and therefore, tube chassis cars will never happen.

Plus, at the point where they go tube chassis, everyone will have to build new cars. Too many teams are having problems already as it is with travel costs and build costs with $50k cars, building $150k - $200k tube chassis cars will kill the sport.
                    Isn't $100+ budget not that unusual for the top tier drifting teams? Small teams will fall, but better funded teams will rise up to the challenge. As bad as it sounds, it's how things work in all forms of racing. It's going to happen, not in the immediate future mind you, but it will happen. I don't think it will kill the sport, but the need for a ladder system will come from it.

Comment

knock it off.

this is the worst *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* i've ever read.

Comment

Isn't $100+ budget not that unusual for the top tier drifting teams? Small teams will fall, but better funded teams will rise up to the challenge. As bad as it sounds, it's how things work in all forms of racing. It's going to happen, not in the immediate future mind you, but it will happen. I don't think it will kill the sport, but the need for a ladder system will come from it.
                        I'm talking about the build. Most builds here in the US have been somewhere around 50-75k above the cost of the car, then 100k or so to run the season (although some are spending 200k or so).

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                          I'm talking about the build. Most builds here in the US have been somewhere around 50-75k above the cost of the car, then 100k or so to run the season (although some are spending 200k or so).
                          We are getting a bit off topic, here. But, as a final thought, my prediction is a much a probability as is the possibility that drifting will not grow out of it's current stage. I'm sure there's thought on both sides from professional drifters and the organizations as well. Like I said, we won't know until it happens.

Comment

Rules are Rules change it for one team then you must allow all the teams the same abillity to mods there cars before the season starts, Many manufactures will like to get the FWD vechicles into FD. NISSAN, HONDA, I'm sure would like to get there's in also ; maybe NISSAN could get the AWD from Europe in here also...........................

Comment

I somewhat doubt that the team would go out of their way to build one-off custom parts to make the tC a RWD car when they could just import Avensis OEM and aftermarket parts and outfit them to the USDM tC.

I may be wrong.

Comment

Dont D1/driftreg´s state that a pure fwd car may NOT be transformed into an rwd ?

Its a bit different with cars like my EVO, that has an rear facing driveshaft as stock.

Kristian...

Comment

Working...
                                X