My E36 Drift Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My E36 Drift Project

Well, I figured I'd show my super secret drift project. hehe.
    Yeah I got some roll over recovery E36 for $400. Runs great.
    A little....bit dinged up, but i won't have to worry about dinging it up on the track. hehe.
    This is what it looked like when I got it. Had to run up to wyoming to grab it out of some guys yard. drove it up onto the trailer.

The day after I got it home I spent some time stripping it out.

Here's a pic of the engine bay. It's dirty, but should clean right up.
    Since taking the pic I removed the washer fluid container (no windshield no wipers, no need for the fluid right?) and I've replaced the original air filter/box with a Spectre cone filter, that I'm going to run through the hood. (which will involve a hole in the hood)

Here's how it sits in my garage. I picked up 2 ratty old corbeu racing seats for $75 from a local guy.

I have my first drift event with it on March 13th. so I'm pretty excited.
    I should have the ecu chipped by then.
    My plans pretty much include getting a 6 point cage for it. then once i have the cage I'm going to chop the roof completely off, reinforce the body because of what will be lost from the roof chop. putting on a small windscreen. turning the back end into a ute bed. Coilovers, good plugs and wires, etc...
    Pretty much, I'll see what I can do on it before it dies, starting with the cheaper stuff and moving up. (I won't chop the roof until I get the cage and reinforcements in though.) I'd like to finish the project instead of killing it first. hehe. If it lasts long enough, and things are going great i'll plan on an engine swap from a totalled M3 and swapping things over or something like that.
    Pretty much trying to do things on a budget, and it'll go slow, because I don't want to accidently overdue it and have money problems.

Here is a drawing I did of what I want the final project to hopefully look like.

wow, well atleast you are doing this with a car that was already wrecked.

Should be fun, just weld the diff up and beat the hell out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
      wow, well atleast you are doing this with a car that was already wrecked.

Should be fun, just weld the diff up and beat the hell out of it
      Better than the welded dif. this one actually came with a really good LSD from the factory. So i'll see how i can rip it up with that before i weld.
      But from what people tell me, the LSD I have is great as it is.

Comment

this build looks really interesting

Comment

ohh alright your car actually came with an LSD, sweet not all of them did so I figured it didnt.

Yeah the BMW clutch type is better than a welded, you can rebuild them for more lock like I did with mine because stock they are only 25% lock.

Comment

Well I have my first event coming up in 2 weeks. I'm way excited to see how things go.
            Hopefully I can get some pics of me drifting.

Comment

I'm curious to see how well this thing gets sideways, I can only maintain a 2nd gear drift in a 328.

Comment

I got a set of pretty new Drag DR19's for $100, and some free used tires.
                just took some quick pics with my new wheels on before it got dark.

They look pretty good says I.
                Some coilovers would rock the house.

Comment

Wow that thing is thoroughly beat to hell.

Comment

which is why it'll make a perfect drifter. hehe. cause i can go all out and not have to worry about beating it to hell.
                    anyway. just a little update on plans. I have a friend with a roof off an s13. and we're gonna see if there's some way to make a crazy chop top beemer with an s13 coupe roof. hehe. we'll see. We have to measure out things and see if it'd even fit first. just a possible roof repair idea. since i need it.

Comment

Well, I had the event.
                      It was fun and all, until 4 runs out i blew my radiator up, and it put me out the rest of the day.
                      I'm still trying to see if anyone that went took pics of me.
                      So far that seems to be a no go.

My rating of this car however:
                      It is extremely underpowered. The LSD wasn't very responsive, and all in all, was just very difficult to drift.
                      I need to do some more things before the official Drift Enterprise people will let me drift in their events, so this will probably be out for most of the year until i can get it done good enough for their tech inspection.
                      Anyway, I'm gonna have it ready for next year for sure, and drift it every event i can, and after a good long year of events, i'll see whether i want to move on to something else or not.

Comment

The OEM LSD is designed for grip driving, only has 25% lock-up. You'll still need a lot of momentum to keep it sideways, much like drifting with an open. Low speed drifting will be damn near impossible unless you're in the rain or snow, it's just going to spin the inside wheel but you can rebuild them to lock up much more. Check bf.c but I wouldn't post up pictures of your car there. They frown on drifting, frown on beating up BMW's and frown on n00bs. Just do a lot of searching. And don't tell them I sent you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
                          The OEM LSD is designed for grip driving, only has 25% lock-up. You'll still need a lot of momentum to keep it sideways, much like drifting with an open. Low speed drifting will be damn near impossible unless you're in the rain or snow, it's just going to spin the inside wheel but you can rebuild them to lock up much more. Check bf.c but I wouldn't post up pictures of your car there. They frown on drifting, frown on beating up BMW's and frown on n00bs. Just do a lot of searching. And don't tell them I sent you.
                          yeah. i've been on bmc for about 6 months now.
                          they're aware of my project.
                          this is the only picture anyone has posted of me on the track, but it's a little lame.

Comment

Working...
                          X