drift movie with s2000 and 300zxTT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drift movie with s2000 and 300zxTT

This is the movie my friend and I made half year ago, from some even older clips. Even tough I was beginning with drifting, some screens are quite worth of seeing. Some pics first:

And offcourse, the movies:
    Movie1
    Movie2
    Last edited by soru81; 11-29-2003, 11:38 AM.

Hey I'm no pro at drifting, but i thought those vids were really good. Especially because you guys were on such a tight and compact road. Just whondering, where was that filmed at?

Comment

RE:

Filmed in Slovania (sp?). Seems like you guys were doing mostly power overs?

Comment

Not bad, pretty cool

Comment

Thanks guys.

This was filmed in Slovenia, a small and young country in Europe surrounded by Italy, Austria, Croatia and Hungary. This place resides just besides it's capital, in it's like five minutes away from the biggest and crowded city in our country, which is still a small one :-)

It is true, that it really was learning to drift instead of drifting. Once you get to know the road (about 2km, but on the movie it is the most interesting part - only about 800m of hairpins and turns) it is fairly easy.

Everything on the movie was driven uphill and the traction is bad so drifting can be pretty smooth. The speed in the middle of corners was very small, from 30-50km/h. It went up in the exits, up to 80km/h approximately. Most slides I did were done with the first gear (honda's narrow powerband requires that, and it's long first gear makes it possible) and the friend was doing it in second gear.

If you look at my steering work you can see it is horribly slow and the technique is bad - I never lose the wheel so it can spin freely and fast. Honda's sharp steering compensated for my slowness and technique at that time. But when I got to my current bmw e36, which has very slow steering (3,5 lock-to-lock, honda had 2,4), I really had to change the steering technique all the way. I will post some vids later and you will see the difference.

And yes, these are mostly power overs on hairpins. It is difficult to do anything else on the uphill, since the weight tends to the back. Since the path is very narrow, and the road edges are dirty, you must take it as it is. Fainting can be dangerous, because if you come to close to the outside and put the outside of the car on the dirt (at the corner entry) you can end up understeering and it was nasty few times. You can try to brake drift, but it is very ineffiecent on the uphill. You can bounce the rear in the other direction if the corners are together enough. And on some places, there is halfpipe on the edges, ment for the water to flow in the rain. And if you drive over it, you get bump oversteer - I think this cannot be seen in the movie.
          Well, the downhill is completely different story. It's very nice because the car has momentum and you can feint it or brake drift and it will keep sliding with minimal power applied. There is almost enough power. Drifts are much longer than this seen in the movies. But it is much more dangerous, because you can't control the line of the drift very much. You set it with your entry speed, so it is very dangerous if some car happens to go in uphill at the same time because you cannot dodge him once in the corner. This place is freakin crowded with bicyclist (popular spot) all the day, so only chance to practice is in the middle of the night - and you can see car and lights approaching. Hairpins are fun on the downhill, you can use handbrake and then just apply the gas. But you can damage your car hitting the guardrail at the exit...
          Well, at the time I was editing this movie, I've already had bmw, and I've been already doing downhill. With honda I never tried it, didn't have enough self confidence in my technique and it really sounded scary. And also, with bmw I can go uphill in second gear better I could go with honda in first. More torque, narrower tires and shorter second gear make a lot of difference.

Comment

i encourage everyone and commend your bravery, but i didn't see any Drifting as defined by the Japanese-centric sport.

Looks like a lot of fun however.

Comment

Well, it is just a matter of perception what is drifting. This sure wasn't drifting as a competition events as known in japan. But drifting touge, it was. At least to some extent. Anyway, be more specific, I really can't know what exactly are you pointing at, since probably everyone here has slightly personalized view of term drifting.

BTW guys, what does drift as drifting a corner means to you? There can be soo many various tecniques used... I think of it as getting the car to slide before reaching the apex of a corner and then sliding it as long as possible. On the other hand, in WRC, drifting is having the car sideways at the entry of the corner and then straightways at the exit - which is probably the fastest.
              And again, on the other hand, Keichi says power over is also drifting... even if you slide just the exit...

Oh, here is the comparison of my steering work then and now:
              with bmw
              with s2000

Comment

sweet videos

Comment

nice z32

Comment

Very Nice and Well Done Videos... What video editing program did you use and what kind of cameras?

Comment

DriftAdict: After playing around with several other editing packages, I have used the ulead media studio. In my opinion, it has very good and powerful user interface and is very fast among semi-professional editing tools (such as premiere). I would recommend it to everyone. My friend with Z32 used premiere, I believe.

Comment

Whoever said it wasn't drifting is wrong. Just because there isn't massive amounts of smoke doesn't mean anything. Look at most touge drifters, there isn't much smoke at all. They don't smoke so much because they arent going that fast. THe more open it is, the more you can really get into higher rpms, and these guys aren't pros either. My hats off to you both.

Comment

I dont want to start another thread about drifting types. But theres not alot of smoke because they are doing racing drifts vs. show drifts. Less angle, less smoke. Good job none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by gundamzeta
                            i encourage everyone and commend your bravery, but i didn't see any Drifting as defined by the Japanese-centric sport.

Looks like a lot of fun however.
                            you = dumbass

you obviously have never driven togue. that was 100% drifting. when you are drifting togue you can't get crazy wide angles and high RPM tire roasting drifts. it is extremely hard and unsafe to flick the rear to a wide angle and hold it through the drift (D1 drift style) on togue roads, togue driving necesitates controlled angle and progressive drifts, which is exactly what they did.

to the drivers, hella good show mates

Comment

Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
                              you = dumbass

you obviously have never driven togue. that was 100% drifting. when you are drifting togue you can't get crazy wide angles and high RPM tire roasting drifts. it is extremely hard and unsafe to flick the rear to a wide angle and hold it through the drift (D1 drift style) on togue roads, togue driving necesitates controlled angle and progressive drifts, which is exactly what they did.

to the drivers, hella good show mates
                              I like your imature adhominems..

I drive on touge, and I race other people on touge.

I didn't see any drifting; I saw nothing but power slides. Drifting necesites having controlled oversteer Before, near or just after corner entry.

I do lots of powerslides at touge in my MR2, which isn't a very smart thing to do, but I have yet to drift.

I've also seen plenty of japanese drivers, through videos, actually "drifting" their cars through mountain passes.

Powersliding is not drifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X