My Porsche 944 Turbo drift video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Porsche 944 Turbo drift video

I've been a lurker on here for quite some time, finally got some good footage of my drift car in action, so thought I'd like to share.

Car is a Porsche 944 Turbo bored out to 2.8L. You can find more details of my car by clicking the link in my sig.

The video was shot with my JVC HDTV camcorder. If you have a fast computer (2ghz or faster), download the high resolution HDTV clip. If your computer is slow, get the standard definition SD clip.

951 Drifting Video HDTV (13.7MB)

951 Drifting Video SD (4.3MB)

Lemme know what you think. I'm still a drift rookie, experimented with drifting on the streets back in 1995 but really got serious this year by organizing a few events here in Calgary. I did some drifting in my SLK as well, but it wasn't as nice or controlled, due to a lack of LSD.

Here's a picture of the action, as well as my rear tires after about 10 runs.

Comment

nice vid, nice to see somethign different.

Comment

intresting car Really nice...

but htdv quality wasnt needed on that filming... :P

Comment

Originally posted by pudding
          intresting car Really nice...

but htdv quality wasnt needed on that filming... :P
          Thanks. I film everything in HD now... it looks great at shows where I have a projector to show the videos on a 100" screen at our booths. But yea, it's a bit overkill for the web hehe.

Comment

rage2, my comp is slow so I wasn't able to view the HDTV clip but are you able to get film-look video out of that 720p/30fps setting on that camera?

I have an XL1 and haven't had a chance to do much videoing with it yet so I was just curious.

Haha I also have a 944 so its good to see another 944'er on the board drifting. Do you still have the stock rear end or are you running an LSD? If so what kind because I noticed that a lot of the 944s that are attempted to be drifted can't really do so easily with their stock open diffs.

Comment

i'm digging the headlight style!!!

Comment

I am having difficulty comprehending the illness of your car.

Amazing.

Good sliding too, hehe.

Comment

My father is planning on buying the 1987 944S. Do you think that is a good car, just for a daily driver, he isnt gonna use it for drifting but is it good and reliable. Sorry im a nub with porsche.

Comment

Originally posted by nightracer
                    rage2, my comp is slow so I wasn't able to view the HDTV clip but are you able to get film-look video out of that 720p/30fps setting on that camera?

I have an XL1 and haven't had a chance to do much videoing with it yet so I was just curious.
                    I can get close to film look on the HD1, but it takes a lot of work. The color saturation on the HD1 is horrible, you need next to perfect lighting to get any half decent result. The XL1 is leaps and bounds above the HD1... you never have to worry about the perfect shot. I use a ND4 filter on the HD1 on really bright days to cut out the bright areas which wash out colors, and no filter from sunset onwards. Indoor shots are next to impossible without additional lighting. Lots of post editing color/saturation correction to get the color right.

The 720p/30 mode is great, but you must get a tripod, or work off a steadycam setup. Rendering to 24p is great IF you have the perfect source footage. If everything is perfect on a shoot, the 720 lines of resolution really pays off especially projecting on a display of some sort.

Originally posted by nightracer
                    Haha I also have a 944 so its good to see another 944'er on the board drifting. Do you still have the stock rear end or are you running an LSD? If so what kind because I noticed that a lot of the 944s that are attempted to be drifted can't really do so easily with their stock open diffs.
                    My car has always had an LSD, I currently have a Rothmans cup car tranny in there with the stronger syncros and 1st/2nd. I've driven a few 944's without LSD, and I don't consider them drivable, let alone driftable . I drive my car in the snow in winter as well as track it regularly in the summer, so optimal traction is a must for me.

The biggest complain I have though is the e-brake. First, it's in a bad place on the left, and second, at any speeds over 20mph, it's pretty much useless. One less method for kicking out the tail. It does force me to improve weight transfer controls though, which is a good thing.
                    Last edited by rage2; 09-27-2004, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NismoSigma
                      My father is planning on buying the 1987 944S. Do you think that is a good car, just for a daily driver, he isnt gonna use it for drifting but is it good and reliable. Sorry im a nub with porsche.
                      If it's maintained right, it's very reliable, but it costs a lot to maintain right. People have called the 944 the poor man's porsche. I agree completely, just because it makes you poor from maintaining it. The low price of these cars are deceiving... always have extra $ to fix 'em up. I suggest for a $5000 car, budget $5000 for unexpected repairs, if you can't afford it, don't buy it cuz it'll be just a lot of headaches. Remember, these are 15+ year old cars, so even parts that aren't abused will break and cost a lot, in many cases more than the cost of the car.

Mine has been my daily driver for over 10 years now. I drive it to work, out of town trips, to the track, everywhere (175,000 miles now). So it can be done... just be well prepared money wise when an expensive part goes wrong. The big trouble/money areas are : Clutch, Power steering pump/rack, water pump, timing belt, control arms.

Thanks everyone for their comments on my car, hope to have some better footage soon.
                      Last edited by rage2; 09-27-2004, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X