First vehicle i ever drifted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First vehicle i ever drifted.

It was hecka exciting. (i did it in grass to avoid rolling) I used a psuedo break drift to induce it (just something to get the weight forward) and then just got on the go pedal and it actually hung sideways for a good 3 or 4 seconds. I know it was grass and all, but it was the greatest feeling in the world. saddly, i'm an idiot and decided to try and do the same on some good old asphalt. luckily, i'm not a terrible driver (one of those kids that could care what he's in, he just wants to be able to drive it better than anyone else) and i didn't roll or anything, just a little sad i was stupid enough to try it afterwards. I was only doing like 15 and stood on the go button and it swung wide (parking lot) and i held it for maybe a second or two. Anyways, here she is in all her glory...
    Attached Files

well i for one was happy about it.

at least i got sideways and in a jeep. to be honest, and God strike me down for saying this. as a rear drive platform with a pretty torquey six in it, were it more aerodynamicly efficient, i think it'd make a decent sideways vehicle. It's balanced really well for some reason, i guess the light weight of the 6 helps it.

ok, well, i guess i'll stop talking now.

<--idiot.

Comment

You should rock it. being lower and stiffer wouldn't hurt though, as far as not doing barrel rolls goes.

Comment

i somehow actually thought about it. the thing is old, but all the things i'd do are already practically done.

ac doesn't work, and thus can be removed for weight.

headliner already fell out.

if i could just find some sort of suspension parts, the thing could be lowered substantially, i could just pull the step rails and save some clearance that way.

it's really not a bad idea, i just hate to think about it.

i'm most interested, or would be, were i bold enough to try it, in decreasing the top heavy aspect. maybe if someone could make me some lighter windows, there's alot of windows. and the hood weighs a good 349023940239409lbs. who knows, maybe i actually will "rock it." for that matter, hit me with some opinions folks.

Comment

By no means am I flaming you..but you are talking about drifting an automatic SUV? and you say that it's "well balanced"? It's an SUV, I've never driven it and I know it's not well balanced. I wouldn't waste my time shaving weight etc. and just use it to get to a job and save for a decent car...

Comment

Be proud you pulled it off. Screw 'em if they flame you.

Comment

By no means am I flaming you..but you are talking about drifting an automatic SUV? and you say that it's "well balanced"? It's an SUV, I've never driven it and I know it's not well balanced. I wouldn't waste my time shaving weight etc. and just use it to get to a job and save for a decent car...
              I understand, and it's cool, don't worry about the flaming, i'm an easy going guy.

as far as balance goes, it actually is well balanced. Because the engine isn't too far forward of the front axle (more over it than anything) and it's rear drive, the weight distrubution is fair to good. it seems to have a pretty neutral pmi though it's length does make it somewhat hard to rotate. I promise i wouldn't say it if i didn't mean it, i've driven it, i drive it every day, along side a 2k civic sedan and a 97 camry. (none of which are mine, btw) both of which really don't have that good of balance, the camry sits ok, but and the honda is agile, but they are both front heavy and have a tendency to understeer. the jeep comes around pretty easily, and behaves well (for an suv, mind you) and while the steering ratio is quite slow and the steering in general is very unresponsive, i have run it with no fluid, (no power steering) and it changed drastically. I know i don't know what i'm talking about, i'll be the first to say that, and yes, i think it's ridiculous to drift an auto suv, i hate both auto's and suv's, but i own it, and am very comfortable with it and have a good bit of seat time in it, and thus maybe it isn't such a bad idea...

keep 'em comin folks, i'm really interested in hearing what you all have to say.

Comment

It's cool you got it sideways and all but honestly..No matter what you do its still going to be an automatic SUV (unless you tranny swap it lol) that weighs a lot. Personally, I'd sell it and find a RWD platform car and go with it. I am probablly going to be gettin a '91 bmw (318is) for $3700, so it doesn't cost a fortune to find a rwd car..

Just my .02 cents

But hey, if you want to go for it why not, I just wouldnt drop a lot of money into it!

Comment

pork_poney, it seems you need to update your signature

Comment

i don't disagree at all. I mostly just wanted to see how many of you were crazy enough to support it.

Yes, i will be getting a car. i'm going stereotypical and getting an s13 or 14, whatever i get a better deal on.

if i had the money and the time though, i'd deffinately work magic on the old horse. it's really not that heavy. someone was out there drifting a crown vic and that probably weighs more. the jeep, if i'm not wrong is supposed to be around 3500-3800lbs. heavy i know, but at least not clearing two tons. although, with my fat arse in there.....

anyways, yeah, i'm sure i'll get a car, but hey, maybe i'll convice my family to hold onto the the jeep (roco, it's not mine, i just get to drive it until i can afford my own wheels) and in a little while i'll do something with it. I dunno. I honestly HATE most domestic vehicles, but i've just grown to love the old thing, i kick it around, it kicks back, it's a good relationship.

Comment

ive managed to get the ol blazer sideways before but its a manual trans but still an suv alot smaler then that jeep but it was scary nevertheless. thought about slammin the blazer but i think they look kinda *Censored**Censored**Censored* on the ground like that

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by nitroboy24
                          It's cool you got it sideways and all but honestly..No matter what you do its still going to be an automatic SUV (unless you tranny swap it lol) that weighs a lot. Personally, I'd sell it and find a RWD platform car and go with it. I am probablly going to be gettin a '91 bmw (318is) for $3700, so it doesn't cost a fortune to find a rwd car..

Just my .02 cents

But hey, if you want to go for it why not, I just wouldnt drop a lot of money into it!
                          His jeep is probably quicker than your future BMW. Have you driven it yet? I drove a 325is and it was slow. But hey if you want to go for it why not? I just wouldn't drop a lot of money into it!

I want to see you rock the Jeep just because it's a Jeep. So many people are so stuck on stuff, I like to see someone throw down once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
                            His jeep is probably quicker than your future BMW. Have you driven it yet? I drove a 325is and it was slow. But hey if you want to go for it why not? I just wouldn't drop a lot of money into it!
                            Yeah, we drove it and if you think his jeep is faster you are probablly wrong. I am going to put money into it but not a ton. I am still 15 (obviously i still dont have my "real" liscense) so I dont really give a crap if its not extremely fast. Think a soon to be 16 year old could afford insurance on a car with 230+hp or whatever you consider fast?

I didn't think so either.

EDIT:
                            One more thing lol, it weighs in at a not so hefty 2600lbs I believe, so it doesnt take too much pony power for it to fairly quick

Comment

Why don't you get, say, an s13? It would be faster than the 318 and cheaper, both to buy and insure.

Comment

Working...
                              X