RS*R Drift Festival Chicago |Video|Pics|

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS*R Drift Festival Chicago |Video|Pics|

Its long, so here is the video for those who don't want to read, pics are at the bottom.

My Video (all links are of the same thing), if you can host it please do, because it will probably run out of bandwidth)
    http://www.altarf.net/rsr.wmv
    http://www.streetkaizo.com/video/SimbaRSR.wmv

The second annual RS*R Drift Festival made its way to the US, this time around to Chicago. It was at Route66 Raceway in Joliet. This year however they brought someone from Japan who won the festival over there. He was brought here to drive the RS*R S14, which now has a Tomei 2.2L engine. The car was amazing, but they had to piece the car together upon arrival in the US so it never really ran right.

Among the other RS*R S14 was the RS*R Supra driven by Orido, RS*R Z33 driven by Kazu Hayashida, and RS*R S2000 driven by Alex Pfeiffer

After a night of tuning the cars and listening to the hicks race at the drag strip the day had finally come. There were 2 courses, one competition course and one practice course. They were both the same but the practice course was a bit smaller. Aside from the 3rd/2nd sweeper being a little bumpy it was a great course. With a 30 driver cap we had lots of runtime (not to mention the practice course was open all day).

There were two different competitions mixed in with some demos. The competitions were judged by Orido, Kazu, and Alex. First round was 2 runs that dropped it down to 16 competitors. Next round was 1 run and with *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* luck a bunch of us spun out so they dropped it to 5 instead of picking 8, and the last 5 took one run each to determine who won.

First Place:
    Rob Riter, Black Mazda Miata

Second Place:
    Nathan Brasz, Black Nissan S13 Coupe

Third Place:
    Keith Schoeler, White Nissan S13 Coupe

Fourth Place:
    Robert Strohmeyer, White Nissan S13 Coupe

Fifth Place:
    Chris Migallo, Red Toyota AE86

The prizes were insane, Rob (1st place) received Tomei SR20 Cam, Tomei SR20 valve cover, a set of enkei wheels, kaaz differential, RS*R GT2 exhaust, an air splat gun, 6 yokohama tires, and probably a few more things I can't remember. 2nd - 5th prizes were pretty damn good as well most all had tires and at least a universal RS*R muffler among a few other things. Too bad Rob doesn’t have an SR...

The pro competition was great too, it was your 8-4-2-1 battle. The top 4 are as follows:
    1. Ken Gushi
    2. Benson Hsu
    3. Daijiro Yoshihara
    4. Hiroo Sumida

The top 8 (Taka, Tony Schulz, Erik Jacobs, Ben Schwartz and the top 4), all walked away with $1000. Dai get $1500, Benson $3000, Ken $6000.

Not to bad mouth Benson, but Dai should have been 2nd according to the crowd and Alex, but oh well.

No crashes in the local competition, only in the pros. Ken hit a wall but got spares from Tiger Racing, who also hit a wall. Tony Schulz broke his clutch fork and borrowed one of the locals cars, Bubba Drift had some problems with his alternator.

The day was a big success and a surprise to most. The pro drivers were impressed with our skills (I think everyone thinks the Midwest has no idea how to drift ).

On behalf of ClubFR I would like to thank all those who came out, and all those who competed, according to Moto and Naoki bigger things will finally be coming to the Midwest next year.

www.ClubFR.net
    www.driftday.com
    www.rs-r.com

Big Thanks to
    Moto, Naoki and the rest of Drift Association for bringing it here.
    RS-R for coming, and bringing their cars.
    Orido, Kazu, and winner of the competition in Japan for making the trip.
    Alex Pfeiffer Daijiro, Moto, Naoki, Scott from Lyndex Nikken, Gary from RS-R for coming to the after party.
    Route 66 for letting us use their facilities.
    ClubFR for staffing the event, and promoting the event.
    All the drivers for paying and coming out to put on a good show.
    All the crowd for coming and watching.
    And anyone else involved with the event.

Here are some pics:

Pics taken by Phil/TF
    Pics by Keith aka Beef
    Overboost
    My pics
    spock_rockers pics
    Dizzy-D of Overboost

Great Coverage!! Thanks

Comment

i'd gladly say that daijiro is better than me... but since ken took him out in the top 4 round, i don't think it was possible for him to get 2nd.

believe it or not... competitions don't always place people in order of their skill level.

Comment

Originally posted by BensonHsu
        i'd gladly say that daijiro is better than me... but since ken took him out in the top 4 round, i don't think it was possible for him to get 2nd.

believe it or not... competitions don't always place people in order of their skill level.
        Don't take it the wrong way though, if I put your 2 best runs together (from watching my video), you were both pretty damn good, but just during the competition Dai was better. You need to keep one car , stop changing and confusing us all...

Comment

cool vid. awesome event... need an event like that here in orlando... COUCH!@!!@$!@$

Comment

really nice job on the video.

was benson in the yellow car?

Comment

yup

Comment

wow great video. i felt like i was there! i love ken gushi even more now. that little victory freestyle at the end was badass. he's definately my favorite u.s. pro.

Comment

Originally posted by kidynomite
                  Don't take it the wrong way though, if I put your 2 best runs together (from watching my video), you were both pretty damn good, but just during the competition Dai was better. You need to keep one car , stop changing and confusing us all...
                  of course not

dai is a really great driver... and i have a lot to learn before i get to his level. i think i posted just so that i could explain my feelings about competitions.

you did a great job on the video!

*sigh*... yeah... i need to stick with single car so that i can stop confusing MYSELF!! it was my first day driving the car!

Comment

great pics!

Comment

why didn't alex compete?

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                        why didn't alex compete?
                        Its an RS*R event and he is driving an RS*R car. He said he still had tons of fun though.

Comment

wow goodo pics......yeah for the Miata

Comment

were are those amateur drivers from, they kicked a$$

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                              were are those amateur drivers from, they kicked a$$
                              thanks, umm 75% are from chicago (including me), there were a couple from MN, , PA, IN, one from Canada, forget where the rest were from.

Comment

Working...
                              X