what to do first on a 1980 corolla?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do first on a 1980 corolla?

I have a 1980 corolla and i want to build it up for drifting. i don't know where to start. should i start with engine parts or suspension and braking. Please be specific.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by 3tc; 11-10-2004, 06:40 AM.

drive the car, drift it...get accostumed to it. find out what you're lacking then upgrade it, and then you can tell us by this i mean everyone has different preferences... example being someone might want to just change their shift knob while someone else might want a whole engine swap. somebody might want an upgraded lsd while someone wants a set of tires. it's all preference!
    Last edited by godzilla; 11-10-2004, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Get a bushing set for the car, install it, then go drift it... Whatever brakes replace it. Rinse and repeat as neeeded.

Comment

Make sure the carb and everything else works and runs properly. That will give you 90HP at the crank to play with! Is yours a stick? If so is it a 4spd or 5spd? Get some wheels from a MKII Celica Supra, the ones that look like the GT S wheels, from the junk yard. Dont pay too much now! Your gonna need to do something about the rear end. No one makes an LSD for these cars but the AE86 GT S rear end will bolt into your car. First thing to do is get the GT S rear end and then put an LSD in it. This will get rid of the drum brakes on the rear too. once you have that done focus on the suspension. The GT S suspension peices will fit, the GT S also uses a rack and pinion setup instead of the recirculaing ball setup yours came with. Try to adapt that if you can. once you have some nice wide wheels, an LSD, and a good susp. setup, built up the 3TC, these are REALLY nice engines, maybe add a turbo.

Good luck!

BTW what kind is yours, coupe, 2 dr sedan (like mine), 4dr sedan, or fastback?

Comment

how to drop headers?

right now i'm sanding the car and droping a primer. by saturday i'll order some headers, tokico shocks, and coils. i probably post pics by next week so yall could check them out.

Comment

how to put a camshaft?

does anybody know were i can find a camshaft for a 1980 corolla 3tc 4 speed? sorry i can't post pics right now, but this thursday on thanksgiving i'm going to post pics.

thanks for your patients.

Comment

I'd say start out basic and go w/ exaust and intake.

Comment

I'd stay even more basic than that. It's a 20-25yo car.

General maintance on the car is going to provide the most gain - clean the carbs, get new tires, OEM clutch, brake pads.

Drive it like that for a while. Then start upgrading where the car is lacking, be it power, suspension, brakes, whatever.

Me, the first thing I always do is suspension. I'd rather outhandle than outrun.

Comment

suspension

i would tend to agree it doesnt matter if you have all the hp in the world if you cant control the car whats the point, but either way you have to find out what you need for the car. with me i always start with suspension and brakes.

Comment

the first thing

If I was you I would start with the engine because it takes longest and then sus. and then braking.

Comment

does anybody know where to buy parts performance parts for a 1.8 1980 corolla. for example I'm looking for a camshaft, strut bars, etc. if anybody knows please right back.

thanx yous everybody

Comment

1.8 1980 toyota parts

yeah you can get all yur stuff from me at chain reaction autosports i can get whatever you need for damn near any car
                        so go ahead and give me a call at the shop

Comment

The 3TC is indestructable!!!

You can't find parts for that motor? Just ask any OG Filipino guy that messes with Toyotas, he's bound to have a set of dual-carbs lying around in the garage. hahahahahaha

Comment

cut the springs, lock the diff, paint it matt black so you can easily cover up those dings with a spray can and put some wider tyres and wheels on, then as you get the funds together think about bolting in some ae86 suspension up front and silvia supension in the back- an ae86 lsd, a 4age with quad throttle bodies, aftermarket ecu, 2.5 inch exhaust through to a nice titanium muffler, strut braces front and back, super light weight reduction(if its not being used bin it- if you dont take passengers take out the back seats- the radio is useless take it out for a nice new cluster of gauges). Cosmetics are up to you. there is a guy in japan called daisuke who has a similar car and he is just as competitive as big 200kw skylines and nimble ae86s at drifting

Comment

RB20's advice is the best, thats pretty much wat u wana do on a low budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X