Datsun 510

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datsun 510

i was just wondering if a datsun 510 would be a good drifter for a beginner or even a good drifter overall...any help is greatly appreciated

yeah there good for drifting, they have a short wheelbase wich people say make them spin happy, i dont know because i have never drifted one, but depending on your year it could be smog exemt

Comment

see i just dont want the same old 240sx or corolla i want to get something a little different and i just love the looks of the 510's

Comment

510 drift great. its like driving a gokart, i reccomend the sr20det swap, a stock sr will give you more than enough power and make it easier to control.

Comment

haha that would be pretty badass with an sr20...is it an easy swap? or are there a few diferent things you need to buy/do to make it fit?

Comment

i dunno, but i know ther are atleast 100 five dimes with sr's its a really popular swap

Comment

im bringin this thread up from the dead....

so would a 4-door be better than a 2-door? My logic is, a 2-door would have a smaller wheelbase, causing it to have more oversteer, or to be "spin happy" as previously mentioned. A 4-door on the other hand, would be slighty longer and might also be more evenly balanced.

No clue if my logic here is correct or not, which is why im asking the cool pros at the world famous drifting.com!

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by MeetYouAtTheTop
                im bringin this thread up from the dead....

so would a 4-door be better than a 2-door? My logic is, a 2-door would have a smaller wheelbase, causing it to have more oversteer, or to be "spin happy" as previously mentioned. A 4-door on the other hand, would be slighty longer and might also be more evenly balanced.

No clue if my logic here is correct or not, which is why im asking the cool pros at the world famous drifting.com!

thanks guys
                Geez, it's been four months and you still haven't bought a car? What are you still "saving up"? Look, seriously, a car that old is gonna take lots of $$ to get into trackable shape. Ontop of that, once out on the track, you're gonna be breaking all the nice parts you just bought restoring the thing.

Trying to be cool and original is nice and all, but lets face the facts, you're jumping on the bandwagon. Not that there's anything too terribly wrong with that, but that's what you're doing. Accept it. Get a 240, it's newer, parts are more readily available, and the KA has plenty of go to get you sideways. For info on the 240, do some legwork and search. It's already been covered hundreds of times.

2 door vs 4 door? "Spin Happy" vs less oversteer? C'mon, you're a beginner, what the F do you care? Get in whatever car you buy and drive it. Learn it. Once you get beyond the point where you can actually break the a$$ loose, and beyond the point where you're not spinning out 98% of the time, you would have learned that you can dial in over/understeer in lots and lots of different ways. Something as simple as tire pressures. Not only that, but you might prefer a loose a$$ car!? But none of that is gonna happen as long as you're internet drifiting.

Don't come onto the here and ask what car you should get from complete strangers. Decide for yourself, or ask any friends you have in real life, anyone but internet a-holes like me.

If you really want to get into drifting and have some fun, forget all that crap about being original, and your image and just drive. If you're not into drifting for the fun of drifting, then you're a poser. For that I'd suggest getting a '93 honda accord, put an R34 front on it, kouki 180 tails, paint it pink, and put 2 ps2's in the trunk.

Comment

hey man..u know what..in all seriousness...that post really helped, thanks haha

Comment

Originally posted by MeetYouAtTheTop
                    hey man..u know what..in all seriousness...that post really helped, thanks haha
                    Actually I apologize for being a d*ck. Sometimes its just fun to be an a-hole.

Comment

Originally posted by cpv35
                      Actually I apologize for being a d*ck. Sometimes its just fun to be an a-hole.

I have to agree with some of what you said. If you want to get into drifting, just buy a cheap car and do it. Figure out what you NEED later.

Comment

hey man these are my thoughts
                        a 510 could be a competive drifter but they are more of a grip car in reality. the handling is insane and you need very little power to be fast. but if you want to be a drifter by trade i would reccomend a 240 or 86 just for the fact that if you crash one of those its hella easy to get a replacement part. i am scared to death of drifting outside of a parking lot as of now because i dont wanna screw it up. while my car is probally a lot more modified than most 510s you see there a many advantages over the newer cars. for one they are freaking light as hell. they weigh about 2000lbs of the factory, so mine with a 2000cc motor and roll cage probally weighs about the same because its been stripped. another is the wide range of motors you can drop in that little thing. you think sr20 powered 240's are hot stuff wait to you see one in a car with 500lbs less weight if not more. you can put anything from vintage l20b's wich are good for up to about 200hp up to a small block v-8.
                        while many of these swaps are practical only for drag racing its just showing the versitility or these great little cars. in the early 70's they raced in almost every kind of event. they did rallys, drag races, enduro spec. if you can find a really clean 510 i would take it over any other of the main "drift" cars mainly because you dont ever see 510s driving around. its all personal taste and what you want to do. 510s could be very good drifters but that would be changing what they do best wich is like many have said before "they handle like a go kart!"

Comment

from what i've seen the 4 door and 2 door are ALMOST the same size (length) if not exactly the same size. look at the 2 doors... the doors are hella long. the 4 door looks to be about the same size but with much shorter doors...

and yes they are fine for drifting. subaru R160 lsd rear end, some suspension, and build that L series...
                          the shop by my house builds 510s and 240Zs for racing all the time
                          (rebello racing) and they are VERY competitive.

Comment

I know all the top 510 guys in my area, and none of them drift. One even is building a 240 to drift and he's a bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* driver. I think the answer for the 510's is no. Of course any car can be drifted but i would think that with all these guys who have 510's and they're not drifitng is for a reason.

here is my brothers 510 site if you want to see some bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* dimes

http://www.510garage.com

Comment

Working...
                            X