Cat back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat back?

(Wow, I feel so n00bish, but I never really followed this part of modifications for sport compacts)

Well, I was wondering, what is cat back exhaust system and how does it work? Also, I was wondering about the turbo back exhaust.

I was raised around American Muscle, and well, I always associated high performance exhaust with glasspacks.
    Especially cherry bombs. I love their sound, and I always had a nice gain of power.

But now I have a MKII Supra and I was wondering what catback was and if it would help with power more than a cherry bomb.(price relative in decision, I am broke... Cherry Bombs = $20) Thanks for the help!

cat back= from the cat. converter to the muffler, new pipeing

Turbo back = New piping from the turbocharger to the muffler, all new!

Glass packs dont sound that good on imports, just kind of nasty because ot the lack of displacment when you compare them to V8s. Charry bombs are jsut mufflers so...yes, a catback exhaust system would do alot more performance wise for your car.

Comment

Be careful when buying an exhaust. Alot of people post that an exhaust is cat back when it really isn't. I bought a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion Exhaust for my Z and it is Y-pipe back. They Claimed it was cat back because the Y-pipe technically has another set of cats in it... Which is in a way true. :/ Here are the basic pieces of an exhaust.

Going from engine to back of car:

Headers-->Catalytic Converters-->Y-pipe (Note this is on my Z it might not be on your car)-->Mid Pipe (A long straight pipe)-->Muffler.

A full exhaust will get you much more power. Save up and get the best... no use in wasting money on stuff you will want to replace later.

Comment

Thanks guys, ya, I'm familiar with exhaust systems.
        Another thing I was wondering, is what type of mufflers are generally used with catback systems? All of the "High performance" mufflers I have seen were just glasspacks.
        Also, what is the reason for a 2" inlet and a 6" outlet? It doesnt improve flow all that much....

Comment

2"-6" for that Great Ricer look. Its just what the maker thinks is cool I know when i put exhaust on my VW, it was 2.5" with (2) 2" exhaust tips. As for what mufflers are made of inside, Im not sure. I know that they arn't desigendd like stock mufflers, but not sure which material the use inthe stright though design of a japaneese muffler.

Comment

Not too sure of the packing material. As for the outlet sizes I have seen a Civic with 3" all the way down... Non turbo. That makes no damn sense, I would think that loses HP and definetly torque, it's a ricer thing. I will throw some brands at you and you can go out and call them up and do some research:

Blitz
            Tanabe
            Greddy
            Apex'i

Comment

Wow, all those mufflers are just glasspacks...I can't say that I wans to spend all that extra money for a Greddy muffer, or a Tanabe if I can get a great sound, and great flow like one of those mufflers for only $20...

Comment

why is 3" pipe make the car lose some power??? on a civic or any other car... i though it make the flow better...

Comment

If you think all your power gains are due to the muffler, you know less about exhaust (import or domestic) than you think you do.

The power comes from increasing exhaust flow down the entire leanght of the system. If you have an exhaust system that flows like mad behind a stock exhaust manifold, lousy downpipe, and 2 catalytic converters then good luck seeing worthwhile gains. An exhaust system is only as effecient as it's weakest link, and if that weak link is crappy crimp-bent small diameter pipe then you're screwed no matter what type of muffler you run.

As far as running 3" on a Civic or whatever, a certain degree of backpressure is needed for the car to run properly. On top of that, having that much pipe and that little exhaust results in lower velocity, and thus less scavaging effect and lost power.

On a turbo car, all the backpressure the motor needs is created by the turbo. The turbocharger only works because of the difference in pressures on either side of it, so you want absolutely as little backpressure behind it as possible to enable faster spool up and more effecient operation. In that case, 3" would be good.

Of course if you had the world's meanest 1.6l civic four-slugger, you could probably run 3" on it and see worthwhile gains. It would have to be making serious amounts of exhaust before it would be worthwhile though.

To put 3" in perspective, a lot of Camaro guys run it and they have a LOT more exhaust to move then most of you. The straight six in your Supra also may be able to make use of it. I know some of the KA24 guys run it and it benifits them. Putting it on a normally aspirated midget motor just won't do you much good though.

That was the reader's digest version, I probably forgot stuff but oh well.

Comment

so what you suggest??? using stock piped or just changed to cat back w/ 3"???

Comment

IIRC the all motor drag cars are running like almost 3'' exaust honda wise on the b series. the new all motor k siereis cars might be using 3'', but not the 1.6-2.2L b series ones.

and before one you idiots says there is no 2.2 L b series im talking about built motors.

Comment

for what car?

basically your motor needs to take air in and take air out. if you are taking air out (exaust) and you have a 5'' catback with a 1'' diamiter cat your catback does absolutely nothing. you need to have an escape route for the exaust gasses that is constant as soon as they get out of the head. an aftermarket header/cat/catback that is well matched is the best way to do it, but if you do those you also need to get more air in, so an intake would be in order as well.

Comment

Originally posted by R2K
                          so what you suggest??? using stock piped or just changed to cat back w/ 3"???
                          Are you incapable of learning?

Comment

easy killer, i mean this is drifting.com (but probably to answer, no)

Comment

I never said that all power gains were due to muffler...
                              Ideally I would like to put headers, new stainless pipes, a high flow cat, and new pipes....
                              But, as of right now, me being broke and all I will stick to just a new muffler...
                              Trust me, if I had money I would redo the ENTIRE exhaust, not just a muffler

*Damn, I hate being broke*

Comment

Working...
                              X