beginning of D1 races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginning of D1 races

why do they drive left and right or swerve in the beginning?

I'm not too sure as well but I believe it is to warm up the tires.

Comment

To warm up the tires and to look cool. In reality, their tires don't need to be warmed up very much at all... they're street tires and thus need to work in a wide range of temperatures.

Comment

Just like in drag races, and in formula one races you gotta get your tires all warmed up so they dont crack as easy and what not. but youd think drifters woudnt want to do that because warm tires=more traction.

Comment

And it actually gets them prepared for the competition or a race.

Comment

Originally posted by Legit
            Just like in drag races, and in formula one races you gotta get your tires all warmed up so they dont crack as easy and what not. but youd think drifters woudnt want to do that because warm tires=more traction.
            Traction is a must in drifting as well. While slideing you still want traction in the rear so that you can steer the car w/ your trottle. If you didnt have traction in the rear you couldnt do that.

Comment

Traction is a must in drifting as well. While slideing you still want traction in the rear so that you can steer the car w/ your trottle. If you didnt have traction in the rear you couldnt do that.
              One thing I learned...warm up the tires so I can use my 1000kg foot. Fear my unusually heavy foot. (no...i just have a habit of flooring the gas in whatever simulation i do)

Comment

I can't believe I forgot one of the main reasons they go from side to side. It's to scrub off the mold release agent left over from the tire's creation. In order for the rubber to release from the tire mold properly, the companies use some sort of mold spray/coating which gets onto the tire. This agent reduces the tire's grip until it gets scrubbed off.

Comment

sorry, but that's a lot of wrong info.

true, some drivers weave to warm up their tires, but it's not necessary with street tires, as Grid said. Also, bringing your tires up to temperature is NOT to reduce cracking, but so the rubber gets softer and stickier (to put it in laymen's terms). Also, drifters want as much traction as they can gets, so when they drift, they can drift through a corner faster (which is part of the judging criteria).

It's to scrub off the mold release agent left over from the tire's creation. In order for the rubber to release from the tire mold properly, the companies use some sort of mold spray/coating which gets onto the tire. This agent reduces the tire's grip until it gets scrubbed off.
                  Yep. Also, in racing, with softer tires, they need to get through the first heat phase (so to speak), so that the tire's composition can become more stable (I think it's something to do with a graining phase...). If you have a sharp eye, you would see that drivers such as Schumacher actually are quite rough with the car when the car has brand new tires, so they can get rid of the mold release agent, as well as get through the warming up phase and get through the graining phase to where the tires produces ultimate grip.

With the bias-ply tires I used to race on, they would get rid of the mold-release agent after a few corners, grip hard for two or three laps, then suddenly get "greasy". I would back off for a half a lap, and then they would be very good and consistent for the rest of their "life."

Complicated stuff...

Comment

Malcom's got it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X