suspension/steering problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension/steering problem??

i think it has to do with my suspension/steering, maybe someone can help me out. sometimes when i'm out practicing, when i turn my wheel around (i forget how many turns, and i can't find out now, my car is in the shop) the car makes the vibrating noise and shakes kindof, i'm not sure if it's the springs or what. does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Rotate/balance tires and get an alignment.

Comment

thanks. does it cost a lot to balance?

Comment

A balance issue usually becomes apparent at certain speeds, but I guess certain forces can create it as well. Usually, if a wheel is out of balanced from high, uneven wear, lost wheel weights, even maybe a bent wheel(if curbs or big potholes aren't new to it) can all contribute to imbalance. However, just turning usually don't bring about an unusual vibration from a balance issue. Still, just because I personally haven't experienced a balance issue only felt when turning doesn't mean you aren't.

Depending on what's happening during this time, i.e. the car is sliding, this could just be a vibration brought about by the natural resonence of the tires, wheels, suspension, or other components. As your car slides, the tires may be kind of hopping slightly or scuffing sideways across the ground and creating a vibration. This could produce enough vibration to feel in the steering wheel or maybe even the whole car. A more violent example would be if you did a quite turn while going straight. If you're fast enough, you can actually turn past the traction limit of the tire before the car even gets to start turning. The tires will begin to hop sideways over the road as the car keeps moving forward...producing a somewhat violent shake through the whole car as the front end essentially hops across the road surface.

Really, from your description, it's somewhat hard to pinpoint the source of what what you feel. I'm just putting out a couple guesses...see if anything strikes a chord with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
          A more violent example would be if you did a quite turn while going straight. If you're fast enough, you can actually turn past the traction limit of the tire before the car even gets to start turning. The tires will begin to hop sideways over the road as the car keeps moving forward...producing a somewhat violent shake through the whole car as the front end essentially hops across the road surface.
          I think that may be it, because the only times i've experienced this were when i was in a parking lot, trying to get sideways around 'imaginary' corners, but never when i took 'real' corners. i think i may have cut too hard, not noticing it, since there wasn't really a corner. i hope you understand that
          thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
          X