attention all MR2 AW11 drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attention all MR2 AW11 drivers

i found a place where i can get a 1985 mr2 for 200 bucks. I looked at the car myself and it runs fine, the interior is excellent considering the car is 19 years old, and the paint is also pretty good (one small rust spot right under the window but i figured the body is probably gonna get messed up anyway). Now for my question (well questions).

Is this a good drift car?

How much horsepower/torque does it have?

Are aftermarket parts hard to find for it?

Is there any thing important i should know before i buy one?

I know i could probably do a search and come up with this information but i'd rather get a direct answer from someone about it.

1. No. Low power plus low polar moment equals not a good drift car.

2. Why is it that no one bothers going to Google and even doing the most basic research? Heck, AutoTrader has the stats. It's 112hp and 97lb-ft.

3. They're out there, but not as prevalent as, say, a 240SX.

4. Yes. You should know how to turn a wrench and that the car would not be a good drift car. They're fantastic little grip cars, though.

You still want it?

Comment

If he doesn't I do.

Comment

I love drifting my AW11 MR2... however, it is not suited to drifting because of the low moment of intertia, the open diff, and the lack of power. Takes a lot of skill, patience and precision.

Still, for $200, I'd say grab it, even if it doesn't drift particularly well. They're awesome little cars.

edit: oh yeah, look for rust around the rear fenders, and in the trunk... also, it uses the same engine as the AE86, so there is a lot of parts you can use that are intended for the AE86, engine-wise.

Comment

the rust is right under the rear window, on the rear right quaterpanel. is that a big problem? its really not that much rust, its just a little hole with rust forming inside of it...i didnt think it was that big of a deal when i saw it, i figured i could plug it with bondo or something...it would probably look like crap but i dont really care. Even if its something that could give me trouble in a few years, i'll probably still get it, i mean, its a 200 dollar mr2 in running condition, even if its worthless in less than a year (which i doubt that small of a rust spot will cause that much of a problem) its still a decent deal. so i'll probably go for it. but still let me know about if this rust is going to be a serious issue

and the reason why i didnt go to google and find my information (i actually explained this in my first post) is because i wanted feedback from actual mr2 drivers.

Comment

dude, go for it.... $200... man, you can't go wrong. I'd get it if I knew where it was... hell, I'd even get it if I didn't like MR2s at all!

I don't think the rust will be an issue.

now snap it up before someone else does!

Comment

yeah i've decided im gonna go for it. you just cant beat getting a running MR2 for 200 bucks. im gonna go pick it up tomorrow morning. ...that is if its still there, but im pretty sure it will be, since i dont think alot of people know its there. i'll post tomorrow whenever i get it.

Comment

Working...
              X