rating on MR 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rating on MR 2

I have a chance at getting a 1987 MR 2 Supercharged for very cheap and possibly free. Everyone i have asked, that thinks they know what they are talking about, says that an Mark 1 MR 2 is Not good for drifting. They make a good point. Since the MR 2 is a mid-engine rwd, i thought that there would be ideal because more weight in the back, but they say that the car has a better center of balance and is balanced similar to an rx8, and wont drift well. So has anyone ever had any expeirience with a drifting MR 2? or possibly websites about mid-engine/MR2 drifting? because im having trouble finding anything. Thanks for taking your time and reading this.

I drift my mk1 MR2 (AW11).... works quite well for drifting. However, it is very difficult to drift it. It won't be easy to learn on. Once you do learn, going to almost any other car will be much easier. If you can, start out drifting the thing on lower-grip surfaces... you'll want things to happen slowly at first, because you need to be so fast with the car to get it sideways and keep it there in the dry on asphalt.

I'd get the car if I were you, but don't get frustrated when you are trying to learn how to drift. It's difficult, but not impossible.

Comment

Before you buy it make sure you can get an lsd for it fairly easily. I remember reading something that it is very hard to find one. Could be wrong though.

Comment

they are hard to find, and they're expensive... but if you tune the suspension a bit, you can actually get away without it. It's only with stock suspension that it makes the LSD more important. I am a big proponent of the welded diff.

Comment

I almost got a MR2 once but I opted not too, it was about 1,000dollars too much. But besides there engine placement and a few other things they are very reasonable priced drift cars. I would get it if I were you, it would seperate you from many drifters as alot of people do not have those.

Comment

To be blunt: Its difficult to drift any mid engine car but its very possible- skill can make up for a LOT of things in this category of motor sports.

Mid-ships are known to understeer into a corner, this is because the weight is in the back, not a lot of weight transfer up front for a good turn in- but as the car turns in the weight moves outward, right is right over the back wheels- bringing them with it.. so youll go right into oversteer. For novices in midship layout this is pretty much known as "snap oversteer" because it happens pretty violently and quickly, a little uncontrolable.

This is however a novice mistake, as are many "problems" when it comes to cars, and driver skill can (as im sure malcolm can easily assure first hand- i however can not in this situation) over come.
            __

I would def take this car- My advice would to be first take the car to autox events for awhile if your new to driving/racing in general and REALLY learn how to grip drive.

If your good at grip driving, the transition into drifting will be that much easier, youll know your limits and the basics, so its pretty easy to at least "push" it slightly into a corner and cause some desired over steer. your control reaction time andl ine will all be that much better.

At the very least if you know how to "grip" drive (sorry i hate that term) well, id still suggest taking a few laps with normal driving since im sure mid-ship driving will be new to you, and theres a few things (like the snap over steer mentioned) youll want to master before you start pushing it.

Youll have a great track car, not bad drift car (if your skilled enough and determined enough, cant stress this enough) and above all- a pretty damn "unique" car. Id personally love an aw11, i have a fond love of the 4age (i plan on getting one eventually, only wishes though- dreams are nothing until actions can prove them)

Good luck man!

(last bit of advise- follow malcoms advice, weld you dif for drifting, not the best but its easy to do and mucho cheaper then finding a working lsd for the car)

Comment

I agree with sideways gts, take the car to auto-x events!! That will pay off huge. Also, when you go, focus on being consistent and smooth, and then speed will follow. Late apexes are essential in auto-x.

as for the welded diff, that's what my father did in an AW11 rally car (a tricky car on snowy stages). It wasn't bad at all on the road. Honestly, it was more aggrovating (sp?) to drive a car with really stiff suspension on the road than it was to drive a car with a welded diff. The welded diff will hurt turn in somewhat, but that can be overcome with set-up (stiffer rear sway bar, softer front bar, etc, etc) and driving style.

My perfect MR2 would be done up like this:
              -welded diff
              -4agze (or if I had money to blow, a 13b, different 'box, etc, etc...)
              -KYB or Koni shocks, and slightly stiffer springs, slightly stiffer adjustable sway bars, lowered about an inch...
              -my home-made short-shift kit.
              -15" wheels, lightweight, with 195/50/R15's on it...

Comment

haha stiff suspensions are fun

Hey man is that a quarter? *bump* oh wait, just a nickle

Comment

mr2 are very light and may over-drift and be much harde than other cars. (experience)

Comment

Theyre about 2600-2700 pounds arent they? wouldnt call it "light weight". Maybe lower end of "middle weight"

Comment

I curently own 2001 MR-S and as stated about drifting a Lightweight MR car can be a handful. You really need to learn the limits of the car before you start getting it sideways. I know my car weighs about 2100lbs so it like to oversteer a bunch.

Comment

I have had no experience drifting an MR2, but i have seen many people doing it.

What i am saying is that its very possible to drift the car, SO GET IT, don't worry about being different, worry about it being the kinda car u wana drive.

All cars are driftable i don't care what anyone says, obviously other cars are easier then others.

If u can get it for free, get it!! Hell anyone would jump at that chance.

You'll find sometimes the most unlikely drift car is the one that is better to drift.

Comment

The MR-2 is so much fun, just remember... it bites hard

Comment

Working...
                          X