drift a 1991 bmw 318is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drift a 1991 bmw 318is?

would you setup a 1991 bmw 318is for drift or wait out for a 240? i am currently stuck with a pos 87 integra

dont get a 318i. those are pos too. its like 130hp and heavy like hell.

Comment

yeah wait for the 240, or if you have the budget and time, get the bmw and do an m3 swap. i've seen it done before...pretty insane!

Comment

nah i only have $3100 now im just lookin for a 240 in alabama or northern florida

Comment

For 3100 you should be able to get a fixer upper S13, coilovers, and an LSD.

Comment

I was looking at a 318ti as a possible drift car. The weight isn't real high at 2,800 lbs, but the power is lacking a bit compared to the other and newer 3 series cars. A heavier 325 or 328 or even the 330 may be better choices just for the improved power to weight ratio. It's a matter of what you can afford and how much power you need. As well, you may want to look into the possibility of modding the 318's engine for more power. As well, there might be some weight reduction you can do to lighten it up more.

Still, a 240SX is a well used platform and has plenty of mods to make it very good. BMWs are more in uncharted territory as few people have actually used them for drifting. That doesn't mean a BMW is a bad drifter. It may just be more of a challenge. As well, you'll end up with a very unique drift car.

Comment

Originally posted by apice
              nah i only have $3100 now im just lookin for a 240 in alabama or northern florida
              Check this one out. Located somewhere in North FL.
              http://www.floridadrift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2183

Comment

e30 325is.

the extra weight is well worth the increased zing, the 318 is a bit doggy.

People I've talked to say the four door has better balance then the 2 door. I drove a 2 door 325is and liked it. I would rather drive one than an S13. The interior was far nicer, although if you are going to gut it I suppose it would not matter. If that is the case, then I would be much more inclined to tear out the S13 than the e30 interior anyday.

Another option would be a real 240, maybe even a wagon, but you're not man enough to rock that.
                Last edited by Parry; 12-31-2004, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Simplyxlost, I hope your New Year's resolution is to "make more intelligent posts at drifting.com."

How much does the e30 318iS weigh? Less than a S13 240SX, natch! 2602lbs isn't all that heavy, especially for a bulletproof, incredibly strong vehicle.

The M42, with 134hp and 127lb-ft of torque, is bit anemic, but the car is superbly balanced and incredibly tossable.

It'd make a great grip car, but a less-than-stellar drift car. Buy a 240SX.

Comment

e30= great car.

however if you have to get a later model get a 328 instead of the 318. it will save you a motor swap.

Comment

Working...
                    X