Everyone make fun of the n00b...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone make fun of the n00b...

Alright maybe someone can help me out here.

Just picked up a '91 240sx HB (no LSD) and am considering what drifting path I should take. However before anything lemme tell you my situation. I just got out of college, the car has 140k on it, I have another car that runs just fine, and I'm trying to keep this project sort of cheap. I sort of divided things into categories of practing and stuff:

Category: Engine
    Right now the car is running fine. A little of an oil leak but nothing too bad. Should I:
    A. Drive the hell out of the car in the parking lot less than 1/2 mile away from me till the engine blows up, tow it back with my truck and get a sr20det in it

or

B. Put the engine in now and practice after.

Category: Suspension
    I already know the basics of drifting suspension tuning. First you learn then you upgrade. However are there any basic upgrades that can improve relibabilty such as maybe new bushings, tie-rods, shocks, etc? Or should like before just drive it until something breaks and upgrade it?

Category: Drivetrain
    Is the LSD differential a huge help in practice? or is it one of those things I should wait for? Should I dump a couple of hundred into a stock V-LSD now or just wait for a nice aftermarket later?

Category: Legality

No plates or insurance on the car yet. However, I live about about 1/2 mile away from this GIANTIC parking lot that has no houses nearby and is hidden from local enforcement from seeing anyone. Should I bother with the insurance/plates yet or just wait till I wanna drive it farther than a parking lot?

Thanks alot for help this n00b out. In case anyone was wondering I live in Peoria, IL.

Zoltec

This has been extensively covered before, just check some of the stickies at the top of the page and they should help answer alot of your questions. If you can't find the answer to something, I'll try to help you out.

Comment

Get that damn car registered and insured!!!!

Comment

ok wow sounds like you have a lot of stuff to do. Anyways If you have the money I would go ahead and work on suspension. Try getting some decent coilover maybe. Check these links out
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...949085993&rd=1
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...949085278&rd=1
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...949084645&rd=1
        they are used but hey your just starting out so dont worry. Anyways you could use new bushing and def an lsd. When I started out with stock suspension and an open dif I couldnt do a ride hand drift beacuse of tire hop. Then I got the tein he's brand new off of ebay lol for 900 bucks and no wheel hop. Then ofcourse I got the lsd. Get tierods if you can. Anyways let your engine just die off. Listen as for engines there are many more than just the sr. The ca18det or the rb20det. Both amazing. I run a Ca18det and I would never go to an Sr. The ca is an iron block, hi reving and practically never hear of them blowing up. Here is my car you can check it out.
        http://www.e-emotorsports.com/marat240.php
        If you need any parts hit us up at www.e-emotorsports.com or at 678-770-4516

Comment

Originally posted by ZoltecRules
          Alright maybe someone can help me out here.

Just picked up a '91 240sx HB (no LSD) and am considering what drifting path I should take. However before anything lemme tell you my situation. I just got out of college, the car has 140k on it, I have another car that runs just fine, and I'm trying to keep this project sort of cheap. I sort of divided things into categories of practing and stuff:
          Zoltec
          My brother's '91 KA went for over 210k. The KA is perfectly fine engine to learn to drift in, you don't need an SR.

First thing to do: Fix everything in the car that's broken. You say it has a little oil leak problem? Imagine what that little oil leak, that was made just daily driving, will do when you're constantly bouncing off the rev-limiter. Also, do research online, you'll find a whole list of parts that will be worn or wearing out by the time the car is that old, check them out and replace them if needed.

Second thing to do: Buy LSD.

Comment

Originally posted by cpv35
            My brother's '91 KA went for over 210k. The KA is perfectly fine engine to learn to drift in, you don't need an SR.

First thing to do: Fix everything in the car that's broken. You say it has a little oil leak problem? Imagine what that little oil leak, that was made just daily driving, will do when you're constantly bouncing off the rev-limiter. Also, do research online, you'll find a whole list of parts that will be worn or wearing out by the time the car is that old, check them out and replace them if needed.

Second thing to do: Buy LSD.
            Alright I'll start digging into the motor ASAP. Any good links that could show me what could use replacing (besides hoses, plugs, belts, etc.)? Also should I grab a used VLSD, used 1.5 LSD or something new? Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by ZoltecRules
              Alright I'll start digging into the motor ASAP. Any good links that could show me what could use replacing (besides hoses, plugs, belts, etc.)? Also should I grab a used VLSD, used 1.5 LSD or something new? Thanks guys
              Check Zilvia.net. I think they have a 240 FAQ somewhere on there.

I wouldn't get the VLSD, since most likely you'll want a clutch type diff later anyway. A used 1.5 will be good if it was properly broken in and properly maintained, otherwise that's another $$ sink. So unless you know the guy you're getting it from, and know he took care of it, why not just save up for a new one. Check the LSD sticky in the tech section for info from someone a lot more knowledgable then me on the subject.

Comment

He dosnt need an expensive lsd. HE's a begginer. He can use an vlsd to learn beacuse you can get vlsd's for soo damn cheap. When he gets better he can buy a 2way or 1.5 lsd. Thats my ten cents!

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_blitz21
                  He dosnt need an expensive lsd. HE's a begginer. He can use an vlsd to learn beacuse you can get vlsd's for soo damn cheap. When he gets better he can buy a 2way or 1.5 lsd. Thats my ten cents!
                  But why buy a VLSD and THEN buy a 2/1.5 way, when you could just buy the 2/1.5 way in the first place?

Comment

Uhhm well lets see. They are soo much more damn expensive.

Comment

Bubb Rubb

Alright, im eBay for the V-LSD for right now. Maybe theres a chance I could get one for under 100. I also but couldn't help but drop 525 for a pair or R32 Skyline GTR seats, OH SNAP:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

I can't wait till those go in.

Comment

Be careful when buying the VLSD, there are diffrent bolt patterns on the side shafts be sure you get the one that matches your car. Also do yourself a favor and read up on doing the swap. it's not really that hard i did mine in about 3 hours.(it was cold as hell out), but check out these for info on the swap.-Oh and under 100 dam i would be worried about that!
                        Vlsd Install

Comment

You guys are going to argue about differentials when the car isn't even legal to drive on the street?

Get it registered and insured. God forbid you hit someone, or someone hits you. Then you won't have a car for awhile. But you'll have a badaa$ LSD laying on your living room floor
                          I have two cars sitting in my garage right now, not running. But they both are insured. So, I can take them out when they're finished and not worry about an accident, getting pulled over, earthquake, lava flow, etc.

This is what makes our premiums go up, and make it hard for kids to get decent insurance premiums!

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_blitz21
                            Uhhm well lets see. They are soo much more damn expensive.
                            So you're saying first buy the cheap VLSD, and then buy the expensive LSD... hmm... correct my math but isn't

cheap VLSD + expensive LSD > expensive LSD in price?

Comment

I’m just giving my opinion, and I agree the car should definitely be registered and insured. A VLSD is a good diff to learn on instead of killing an expensive one that you have no experience with as far as maintaining and break in period.

Comment

Working...
                              X