No announcement yet.

Everyone make fun of the n00b...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks atleast someone agrees . The kid dosnt need a 900 dollar 2 way diff from Kaaz. He is just starting. Plus if you drop 200 right now you can buy a tomei 2 way for like 600 new that 800 and still cheaper than kaaz lsd and better. Check yourself fool!

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_blitz21
      Thanks atleast someone agrees . The kid dosnt need a 900 dollar 2 way diff from Kaaz. He is just starting. Plus if you drop 200 right now you can buy a tomei 2 way for like 600 new that 800 and still cheaper than kaaz lsd and better. Check yourself fool!
      So why not just get the tomei 2-way now? Tomei 2-way, is still cheaper than tomei 2-way + VLSD. I understand that everyone's on a budget, but you really don't want to go cheap on the most important part you need for drifting.

I also don't understand how the beginner is gonna trash the 2-way. If you don't have enough sense to properly break in the 2-way, you're probably not gonna be installing it yourself. Let the installers do the break in. And regular maintenance = oil change. If you can't do that, take it to the shop that installed it, I'm sure they'll do it for a nominal fee.

But whatever, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you purchase. This is just my advice.

btw. I did in fact check myself, and I appear to be okay, but thanks for reminding me to do so.

Comment

Alright people, before everything going crazy, lemme get a few things figured out:

LSD's: Anyone have average prices (used and new) for all the differentials? Also please note that I'm gonna install this myself (I have installed a used Posi Rear on my Cutlass awhile ago)

Insurance/Registration: First let me give you my defense for not going with insurance right now:
        1. For now, the farthest place is going is down the street 1/2 mile.
        2. Virtually no cops on the roads I take nor by the parking lot I practice on (used to goof off in the Cutlass there, absolutely no one around and no view from the road!)
        3. I work until midnight everynight and I really don't have much weekend time to practice with the car, so its not like this is going to be a busy time with police enforcement driving by.

Now im just counting the days for those Skyline seats!
        Last edited by ZoltecRules; 01-25-2005, 06:31 PM. Reason: mispelling

Comment

Every reason you just listed is total crap.

Comment

Yeah I know seriously. I am going to throw a what if question out there. What if the cops caught you on that 1/2 mile stretch. Guess what you would be fuked up. And no more drifting for you. Plus it dosnt matter of the cops dont see you, but they will hear you. Drifting when its dry isnt exactly quiet. I can see you doing it quietly in the rain cus thats when I go out sometimes. Look get registered and get the lsd. I am too worn out to argue about which lsd you should get. If you can afford the tomei or Kaaz get them if you cant get a vlsd. Anythings better than a open diff. Or what you could do is get rear subframe bushings and some decent suspension and you would be able to drift with an open diff. It would atleast be good for practice. So keep this in mind and hopefully one of our posts well help guide you in the right direction. Oh and keep the drifting strictly in the praking lot and off the streets you dont want to give us drifters a bad name.

Comment

Alright everyone makes a good point. Ill get it insured and registered ASAP.

I'm going to be gone for most of February for work building engines in GA. Good news is that I'll be working major overtime so I'll have about 3 grand or so for the car after I get back. I know all of you guys think LSD or suspension would be a good first purchase, but I still am leaning toward getting the SR20DET motor in the car just so I can get it driving as soon as it get's nice out. I think the first thing however would be to get some practice in and start "learning" the car. However since everyone keeps saying suspension/LSD first, would anyone think this would be a good idea?:

Find a used LSD $600-800 (KAAZ, Cusco, Nismo, any others people can suggest?)

New shocks $400-500 (KYB, Tokico, others?)

New Bushings $?? Any suggestions?

More suspension ideas??

Thanks for the help people!

Comment

as far as suspension add these, they remove wheel hop under heavy acceleration off the line and they are pretty cheap.
                The Article about them.

The Part Manufacturer

Comment

Just a little update:

Finally had some free time with the car (I've been travelling to Georgia every week ) and started to notice a rattling in the front of the valve cover. Since the valve cover gasket was already leaking I decided to take it off to see what was happening. Low and behold the upper guide tensioner was broken off!!! I looked it up and saw a bullietin that it needed to be removed anyway. I've got some money now (approx. 500) saved up so what I should i get first? Sway bars, tension rods, shocks? Or should I get the 5-lug swap out of the way first? Thanks people!

Comment

dude

Originally posted by ZoltecRules
                    Just a little update:

Finally had some free time with the car (I've been travelling to Georgia every week ) and started to notice a rattling in the front of the valve cover. Since the valve cover gasket was already leaking I decided to take it off to see what was happening. Low and behold the upper guide tensioner was broken off!!! I looked it up and saw a bullietin that it needed to be removed anyway. I've got some money now (approx. 500) saved up so what I should i get first? Sway bars, tension rods, shocks? Or should I get the 5-lug swap out of the way first? Thanks people!
                    personnally i would go with the susupension first but thats just me . it will get your car setting rite but u could go with the 5 lug swap but to me i would get the suspension

Comment

I want to tell you that this might not be something that you want to invest in. Drifting is something that will burn a hole in your wallet and drain your bank account if you don't have the right resources for it. Although, drifting on a budget is possible, this may not allow you to practice as much as you would want to. Good Luck to you. And whatever it is you choose to do, and be safe out on the streets.

Drifting is not Cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by functionFiRst
                        I want to tell you that this might not be something that you want to invest in. Drifting is something that will burn a hole in your wallet and drain your bank account if you don't have the right resources for it. Although, drifting on a budget is possible, this may not allow you to practice as much as you would want to. Good Luck to you. And whatever it is you choose to do, and be safe out on the streets.

Drifting is not Cheap!

I think my defintion of drifting on budget was a bit different than most people think. I just don't want to go with anything I don't need i.e. an SR20DET, bodywork, etc. I just saved up close to 2000 in a couple months. I guess I just want to see if this is going to be worth my time or not. The important thing I want to find out is if I'm gonna enjoy this or not before I buy things like Tein HE's, full suspension mods, etc.

I think I might start searching for a LSD (not viscous) for under 750 or so right now.

Comment

Working...
                        X