Drifting a Fiero GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting a Fiero GT?

I just got my graduation present from my father he gave me his Pontiac Fiero GT ... i was wondering it there is any way this could be an opportunity for a drift project ? or maybe touge ? the car has an engine swap and has 215 HP it is manual . but does the mid engine really make it a lemon as far as drifting ?

I know alot of people drift the Toyota MR2 which is mid-engine, but I guess it has a tendency for oversteer. I'm sure you can drift the Fiero, it might just take a bit more practice and skill.

Comment

It will take careful suspension tweaking, but can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedWise
        I just got my graduation present from my father he gave me his Pontiac Fiero GT ... i was wondering it there is any way this could be an opportunity for a drift project ? or maybe touge ? the car has an engine swap and has 215 HP it is manual . but does the mid engine really make it a lemon as far as drifting ?
        I do not know too much about the car but I would at least research if there are sufficient off the shelf parts for part replacement and for any modification since it is quite an old car without too much support. I have not seen any proven data on suspension and other mods etc regarding the Fieros.

It is possible to drift almost any car but I would suggest cars that are easier to drift for beginners. Just get something that is a turn-key operation and start drifting! Unless you are literate and mechanically inclined to do research on engine mods, suspension tweaking, etc, it is not worth the time and money to pioneer a car that no body has drifted or raced before.
        Hubert Young
        KORE 8 Films

Comment

what swap gives it 215HP ? they come wid like 130...

Comment

People have swapped all kinds of things from 180hp Beretta Quad 4s to Caddy Northstar V-8s.

Comment

You should give it a Ferrari bodykit..seems to be all the rage with the fiero crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Crabapple
                You should give it a Ferrari bodykit..seems to be all the rage with the fiero crowd
                Whoa don't hate on the guy.
                I would be as happy as a clam if my pops ever gave me a car, no matter what kinda car it was.
                The thing with mid engine cars is they tend to have snap over steer.
                The car will basically do a 180 (spin out) and there is nothing you can do to stop it becuase of inercia(sp).
                You best bet like others have said is to get a car that is easier to learn how to drift in.
                240SX
                80~87 toyota corolla
                5.0 Mustang
                F body Camaro
                etc etc etc

Another good place to start which many people over look is Go-Karts.
                You can learn a lot from karting, and its a lot cheaper that building a real car.
                i know a guy out in stockton who took old sway bars from the junk yard and built his own kart.
                so you can practice in your own back yard (dirt or snow would be best).
                and you will learn the basics of drifting from there.

Max

Comment

Originally posted by illegalgarage
                  Whoa don't hate on the guy.
                  I would be as happy as a clam if my pops ever gave me a car, no matter what kinda car it was.
                  The thing with mid engine cars is they tend to have snap over steer.
                  The car will basically do a 180 (spin out) and there is nothing you can do to stop it becuase of inercia(sp).
                  You best bet like others have said is to get a car that is easier to learn how to drift in.
                  240SX
                  80~87 toyota corolla
                  5.0 Mustang
                  F body Camaro
                  etc etc etc

Another good place to start which many people over look is Go-Karts.
                  You can learn a lot from karting, and its a lot cheaper that building a real car.
                  i know a guy out in stockton who took old sway bars from the junk yard and built his own kart.
                  so you can practice in your own back yard (dirt or snow would be best).
                  and you will learn the basics of drifting from there.

Max
                  I wasn't hating him bro, I thinks it would be great to have Fiero, but I'll stick with my S13

Comment

We'll posting smart replies like "You should give it a Ferrari bodykit..seems to be all the rage with the fiero crowd"
                    Can easily be construed as arrogant and condecending.
                    Don't worry i just like to be the sour grape some times i am not trying to pick on you.
                    But you need to remeber that this is still a small comunity.
                    Like when i broke down on the side of the road one time, dead alternator.
                    Some guy stoped to help me i didnt know him from adam, turns out i helped his cousin with a bunch of stuff on his old corolla.
                    So you never know who may turn up around the corner.

Max

Comment

Working...
                    X