Blacktop VS Redtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacktop VS Redtop

Differences? Why is one better than the other?

Each one is for differant years...i think 91-94 are redtop and 95-98 are Blacktop...im not sure though but it does have to do with the years. Oh i think the blacktop has more horsepower than the red top.
    Last edited by Kevlar; 02-05-2005, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevlar
      Each one is for differant years...i think 91-94 are redtop and 95-98 are Blacktop...im not sure though but it does have to do with the years. Oh i think the blacktop has more horsepower and touque than the red top.
      Hmm... I heard it was just that the blacktop is more rare than the redtop.

Comment

Ok this is the actual specs of the SR20DET below:
        Redtop 91-94_____________Blacktop 95-98
        Type: Incline 4 cylinder__________4 cylinder
        Displacment: 2.0L_____________________2.0L
        Vavles: 16______________________16
        # of cams: 2________________________2
        Bore: 86mm___________________86mm
        Stroke: 86mm___________________86mm
        Horsepower: 202 @ 6000rpm___________217 @ 6000 rpm
        Torque: 203 @ 4000 rpm___________203 @ 4000 rpm
        Comp. Ratio: 8:5 : 1___________________8:5 : 1
        Boost: 7 psi_____________________7 psi
        Last edited by Kevlar; 02-05-2005, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Ok this is the actual specs of the SR20DET below:
          Redtop 91-94 l Blacktop 95-98
          Type: Incline 4 cylinder l Incline 4 cylinder
          Displacment: 2.0L l 2.0L
          Vavles: 16 l 16
          # of cams: 2 l 2
          Bore: 86mm l 86mm
          Stroke: 86mm l 86mm
          Horsepower: 202 @ 6000rpm l 217 @ 6000 rpm
          Torque: 203 @ 4000 rpm l 203 @ 4000 rpm
          Comp. Ratio: 8:5 : 1 l 8:5 : 1
          Boost: 7 psi l 7 psi
          Perfect info! Thanks a lot man!

Comment

Originally posted by GaijinSmash
            Hmm... I heard it was just that the blacktop is more rare than the redtop.
            Well i dont know if there is a rarity issue with the motors but it depends what year your car is...

Comment

Tha newer tha engineb tha less miles it has on it usually. Company's tell u 30-50k miles on tha engines.

Redtop is tha basic flat line SR20. Blacktop's are upgraded a lil. S14's have VVT( a new softwear )

Comment

year matters some wat

Tha older tha engine is, tha more likely it has more miles. When JDM engines come to tha US, they ruffly have 30-50 thousand miles on em. So Redtops will most likely have around 40 to 50k, and blacktops will have less. On most of them, not all.
                -------------------------------------------------
                Also Redtop's are tha basic SR20's. Blacktops are basiclya Redtop that has an upgraded turbo, fuel injectors, VVT, and some other stuff. Thus giving it more power. Also it just has a different color valve cover.

Comment

Well i dont know if there is a rarity issue with the motors but it depends what year your car is...
                  Tha older tha engine is, tha more likely it has more miles. When JDM engines come to tha US, they ruffly have 30-50 thousand miles on em. So Redtops will most likely have around 40 to 50k, and blacktops will have less. On most of them, not all.
                  -------------------------------------------------
                  Also Redtop's are tha basic SR20's. Blacktops are basiclya Redtop that has an upgraded turbo, fuel injectors, VVT, and some other stuff. Thus giving it more power. Also it just has a different color valve cover.

Comment

S15 blacktops have 240 horses. Not sure on total specs though.

Comment

SR20DET S15 Blacktop Specs:

S15 Silvia 99+

Horsepower: 250ps at 6000rpm Transmission: 6 Speed, Close Ratio

Injector size: 480cc/min
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Turbo specs:

Compressor: T-28, 60 trim 60 mm BCI-1 compressor in T-04B housing

Turbine: Inco turbine wheel. Cast divider wall between turbine discharge and wastegate.

Center Section: Ball Bearing

Additions: 6 speed manual transmission. The 6 speed cannot be used on the S13 and S14 motors, and uses a different driveshaft. Speed sensor is located in the differential.
                      Performance:

The stock turbo will be safe to 15-18 psi. After that, the turbo is past its efficiency range, and power increases will fall off and are not worth the risk of turbo damage. The engine should produce close to 300 RWHP at safe boost

*NOTE* I've heard from many people that have this engine that the 6-speed tranny can fail after 300 HP..

Comment

yes that is correct the s15 sr20 has a very VERY weak tranny. its so soft its not even funny. its a waste of money and i find 5 gears to be better for drifting and just use in general

Comment

There are S13 red tops and 180sx black tops, both with the same HP, nothing much different other than vertical lines on the front of the head, but older model S13 red tops also had the cooling fins on the front of the head. The S14 Black top has a low port head with the intake plenum on top, uses a T28 turbo as opposed to the T25 on the S13 SR's, and has VTC, with 220hp

Comment

how come there blacktop sr20det .....and are the blacktop better then the redtop

see click here this is what i am talkin about http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...iley%27s+240sx
                            Last edited by damgeorge; 03-03-2005, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OKR-Drifter
                              Redtop is tha basic flat line SR20. Blacktop's are upgraded a lil. S14's have VVT( a new softwear )
                              ...VVT isnt softwear, its variable valve timing, which will give you more horsepower above 5500 revs. It also enables greater boost pressure and response. The reason people go with the s13 sr20s is that they're cheaper and they have larger intake/exhaust bores. Redtops are older and cheaper, and the only differences between that and blacktop is that blacktops are usually lower mileage and the cams are raised

Comment

Working...
                              X