Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to drift in my 87 accord

hey guys
    i need alittle help because i have been trying to drift in my 87 accord LE...but i have no luck. (i know its not meant for drifting....but hey, i wanna try it )

i only try it when it raining because its easier.....and it rained today and i tried like crazy.

alright...this is what happens:

i pull up to a turn at around 40mph-50mph and then i turn the wheel to the opposite direction and back toward the direction im turning (to shift weight)

then I brake really hard to move weight to front,, and then I turn and e-brake.
    But all that happens is my wheels are turned, but I am sliding forward????

Can someone help me with that.
    thanks

ru using the throttle at all?? i didnt see nething mentioning using the throttle on your post

Comment

From the beginner forum:

Originally posted by pom_sandhu
      i have a 240sx...but what if i were to mod it by doing a swap or turbo...woudl it be a good racing car then??? i already own a 240sx.

Uhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by 180sxdorift2
        ru using the throttle at all?? i didnt see nething mentioning using the throttle on your post
        yeah like he said because if u are then ur just mad understeering into the corner

Comment

add info

Originally posted by Tuner
          From the beginner forum:

Uhhhhhh

i dont get it....whats so "uhhhhhhh"
          so....i dont have just one car (240sx, 300zx (which is my cousins, and my first car the accord)

as for the throttle part:
          i tap throttle as it is sliding forward
          but i dont understand why it keeps sliding forward.
          after a few seconds its turns, but stops sliding
          (maybe my e-brake is out?????) (what does a e-brake do in dirfintg)
          Last edited by pom_sandhu; 02-11-2005, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pom_sandhu
            i dont get it....whats so "uhhhhhhh"
            so....i dont have just one car

as for the throttle part:
            i tap throttle as it is sliding forward
            but i dont understand why it keeps sliding forward.
            after a few seconds its turns, but stops sliding

OK, then why not stick to FR car? Most FF cars have the natural tendency to understeer or "keep sliding forward".

Best way to do it is, go hot into the turn, feint, lift, handbrake, gas and go.

Comment

Oh, and you'll need a fatty rear swaybar

Comment

but don't i need to brake...and do i brake before or after feint?

and the reason im doing it with the accord is because i want to beat it up as possible and then just donate for tax return.
                Last edited by pom_sandhu; 02-11-2005, 11:19 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Ok, it comes down to a couple concepts you need to learn. I can see right now, you know the techniques but you have little understanding of what they do or perhaps why you do it. Besides technique, you have to obey the laws of physics. You only have so much traction to work with and the technique or combination of techniques need to be done correctly to make things work.

The main problem with a fwd is most everything you do to drift is put on the front tires. With a stock car, the manufacturer builds understeer into the car for safety. This means when you turn, the front end will always slide first. It's for safety. However, to drift, you have to overcome this built in design. This is where the techniques come in as well as how you need to use them.

You have the main three techniques required for drifting a fwd. You have feint, braking, and the e-brake. Feint is to throw the weight side to side. Braking is to shift weight forward. The e-brake is used to upset the rear tires and induce a slide. So, how to combine them?

First off, in order to create a car that will oversteer, i.e. rear tires break loose before the front tires, you need to move weight forward. Obviously, this is done with braking. When you brake, a lot of force gets put upon the front tires and they gain traction. At the same time, weight comes off the rear tires and the rear tires loose traction. So, why doesn't this work when I steer into the turn?

Well, your tires only have so much traction available. When you brake, you give up some of the traction to slow the car down. This means, when you do steer into the corner, you don't have as much sideways traction to actually turn the car. Heavy braking plus steering meanins sliding straight forward. How do I brake to get weight forward and still have traction to turn the corner?

The answer, don't do them at the same time. Basically, go like this: brake up to the corner bleeding off speed and moving weight forward to gain front traction. Right before you turn into the corner, let off the brakes. The instant you let off the brakes, steer into the corner. How does this work? Well, when you let off the brakes, you give full traction ability back to the tires. You now have the full amount of traction available to turn with. As well, for a short period of time, a second or so, you will still have that extra weight shifted onto the front tires. The car will steer into the corner and the rear tires will break loose first. Now, coming in fast and braking hard into a corner isn't exactly the safest way to go about things. If you mess up, it could me some time spent in the ditch. A safer method is to come to the corner at about the speed you're going to take it, give the brakes a quick jab and steer afterwards. The quick jab will do the same as braking all the way up to the corner but in a far more condenced/quick form. Stab the brakes quick and then steer. It's a faster motion, but it should have the same result.

Notice I have yet to mention anything about feint yet. The above was simply braking. Feint can be done alone or combined with other techniques to perform a desired result. One thing I like about feint is that it requires no speed change. If you're set up for the turn speed wise, you can simply feint hard and get the car sliding, no throttle, no braking. It takes a little time to get used to. The problem with feinting is that you're limited to how much traction your front tires have. As well, it is dependent on how stiff your suspension is as well. It's all steering and steering quickly. With a lot of front grip on a stiff car, a feint motion can be as quick as a twitch of the steering wheel. Flick, flick, and the car rotates. If you don't have that much traction and/or your car is set up quite soft, you are required to make a larger sweep and doing the technique at a slower pace as to allow time for the car to shift its weight around and to make sure you don't force the front tires past their traction limit. With your car, traction is probably the biggest factor in determining how fast and how large of a sweep you need to make. So, I try and I try, but I can't make the car slide with feint. What now?

Combine techniques to help "persuade" the car more. For example, combine feint and braking as you have tried. How to combine them is a matter of timing. You start with the feint to get the weight moving side to side. When you throw the weight out on the turn in, you want to get on the brakes quick to shift it forward. Again, remember, when you brake, you give up some traction and some turning ability, so make your braking quick. Get the weight forward but let off to give the steering traction back to the tires. Just work on the timing to get things moving right. If you brake too early, say before you steer in to finish the feint, you may find yourself with little traction to feint with if you stay on the brakes. You can also apply the brakes at other times during the feint maneuver. For example, immediately before to gain a large amount of front tire traction: jab the brakes, let off and feint quickly. Play with the combination of the two and see if you can make the drift a little bit easier. Something to think about. When you turn, try not to brake. When you brake, try not to turn. Try to keep these two things seperate as they will interfer with each other in effectiveness.

E-brake should always work...unless it's broken or too weak to break rear traction. The e-brake can pretty much be done at any time. It can be pulled before you start turning to have the rear tires loose when you start to turn or you can turn in hard first and then e-brake to bring the rear end out while cornering. The main key when using the e-brake is that it requires steering to make the car slide. The e-brake with a straight wheel doesn't do much in terms of drifting. An e-brake with a good amount of steering can whip the car around, fun for 180s on a gravel road, lol. As well, the e-brake can be combined with other techniques. Use it with feint to get the rear end moving. Steer out, steer in, and when you feel the weight getting thrown out, pull the e-brake. The combination of throwing the weight out, breaking rear end traction(getting the rear end looser), and steering into the corner should make the addition of the e-brake quite effective. A nice bonus with the e-brake is that it doesn't give up front tire traction for braking. You still have full turning traction when using the e-brake. Although it does shift a little weight forward, it's biggest advantage is breaking traction on the rear tires. A sliding tire has less traction than a gripping/rolling tire. It essentially gives you the oversteer you desire. Even without lockiing up the rear tires, the braking you make them do makes them give up some turning traction. Remember, the tire only has so much traction available. If you're using some for braking, you lose that amount for turning. This applies to the rear tires when cornering too.

If you need anything explained more or have questions, shoot. As well, even if you understand how it works, you still need to go out and practice the concepts. Get a feel for them and get the techniques down right. It will take a little practice to get used to tossing the car around.

Comment

aight...ill be sure u practice and try that
                    thanks

Comment

Try it out, let me know how it goes.

If something sounds goofy or is a little vague, let me know. I can explain it out more if you'd like. Also, I did write this pretty early in the morning after a long day's work, so I may not write the most coherent, lol.

Comment

Just found this letter in this month's copy of Sport Compact Car, pretty funny:

Letter:
                        "I drive a '94 Accord and want to one day make my car into a drifter. Can you send me something that would show me how to make a drifter? This would help me on my Auto Body class midterm.

Response:
                        Instructions:
                        1. Cut Accord shell off unibody.
                        2. Weld shell onto '84 Mustang chassis."

Comment

If you donate a car, you won't get a tax return. They changed the rules man, that doesn't work anymore.

Comment

i drifted in my auto civic '91
                            first off i find corners that usually have an inside bank
                            this offers a place for the front tires to go rather than straight and the bank helps keep traction
                            i will enter at wanted speed like this
                            brake, turn, e-brake, counter-steer, throttle
                            the brake will get the weight off the rear tires.
                            turn immidiately after braking and when the foot is off to keep wieght off the back tires
                            pull the e-brake to swing out the back end
                            steer the front tires to the right place
                            and gas it to get the car straightened out after the turn

this usually works for me, but i still have a problem with over-correcting the counter-steering, and i now do it in a manual, because the downshift gives some extra torque and power when you throttle out of the turn.

also if you've heard of the left foot breaking technique it can help

you use the left foot to brake so you can keep your other on the gas to keep the front tires moving and keeping traction. you use the e-brake again to get the tail around the corners.

its a little more complicated than that, but id have someone who is good at it explain it to you. i tend to press my left foot on the brake to hard and blow it all.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBadger
                              If you donate a car, you won't get a tax return. They changed the rules man, that doesn't work anymore.
                              yea????? o man.....guess its the junkyard hahahaha

to drift for food: i understand it, and its gonna rain today so im gonna try it

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X