No place to drift, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No place to drift, what to do?

Living in Idaho really doesn't cut it for the drifting scene. So what would you suggest I do to practice? I'd like to start hitting up some events in the Northwest, but I don't want to go in as an almost zero experiance driver. I've done some street drifting, and due to a friends recent crash in his corolla, I won't be doing anymore. I do auto-x's and drag racing already, so I know how to control my car, just not while one half is out of "control" .

Events are best. Or find a parking lot and ask permission.

Comment

i have the same problem living in northern utah and being a form idahoan.
      I would say if you cant find a close even, then yes as he said find a large parking lot and ask permission.
      maybe you could even go farther and arrange for more, like getting others together and drifting the lot.

Comment

The parking lot idea is what I was thinking of, although most of the big enough parking lots belong to major corporations and probably wouldn't be game. Never know till ya try though.

Comment

best thing to do is not drift until you have some permission. Legal troubles can be a biotch.

Comment

Originally posted by RX7maniac
            The parking lot idea is what I was thinking of, although most of the big enough parking lots belong to major corporations and probably wouldn't be game. Never know till ya try though.
            Unless you can show that you have insurance to cover that (like the SCCA does when they rent a lot for auto-x), they will never allow it. You are on their property, so they would be liable if you were hurt.

Comment

I know that safety and insurance plays a BIG role in events, but I was just hoping maybe some sort of payment towards an agreeing business would workout.

Comment

There isn't any place in PA either.
                I usually practiced at night in either abondoned parking lots or schools, there are alot of churches around where i live and they have huge lots so could go there but my favorite spot is a local grocery store's parking lot (closed of course).
                I'm safe, not stupid.

Comment

WTF!!! go practice in your school parking lot. seriously WTF.

Comment

Industrial roads, go nuts.
                    OSAKA RULES!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by requiredoption
                      WTF!!! go practice in your school parking lot. seriously WTF.
                      From every post of yours I have read you sound like a 12 year old kid. Practicing in "your school parking lot" IS ILLEGAL. And most states have laws that you CAN'T even been on the school grounds past a certain time at night. When people go doing things like this it is what gives drifting a bad name.

Comment

....bad name?

Drifting has a bad name? With who?

Comment

There are no open spots really near me in Ohio. But I do have some crazy turny roads on Route 50. Actually I may crack out the video camera and just drive around recording the roads, and see if you guys think they are driftable. I dont have a drift car yet, so it could give me somthing todo.

Comment

Originally posted by Crabapple
                            From every post of yours I have read you sound like a 12 year old kid. Practicing in "your school parking lot" IS ILLEGAL. And most states have laws that you CAN'T even been on the school grounds past a certain time at night. When people go doing things like this it is what gives drifting a bad name.

Yes exactly...You can get arrested for trespassing, since schools have heavy legal hold on anyone causing damage.

Comment

not to mention that tire ya know kinda make a noise when u drift and if a cop rolls by and sees a pair of headlights flailing around in the darkness (unless u plan on drifting blind) he will deffinitely check it out.
                              bottom line doing stuff at your local walmart parking lot besides parking isnt smart.

Comment

Working...
                              X