whats the +/- of being heavy, or light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the +/- of being heavy, or light

lets say you have two well balanced vehicles....

one is heavy, one is light.....

whats the pros, and cons of both for drifting....
    if any?

Well when you say well balanced what do you mean? I am gonna assume you mean that they're power band is the same. If you have a car that weighs alot, than the engine is going to have to push all that weight around which will cause a loss in many of the cars aspects. With a lighter car the engine is pushing less weight around so it performs better than the heavier car. This is just a rough idea, im sure there are people in the forums that can get into the physics of it.

Comment

My car is heavy, around 3,400 pounds, and I weigh 260, so around 3,700 pounds sliding at ya!! hahaha It slides for a long time because it builds more inertia than a lighter car. Once you get it going, it keeps going. So it pronounces your mistakes more, its harder to re-gain control after you've lost it. Its less responsive than a lighter car. I guess a possible plus could be longer slides at lower speeds, its all a matter of perspective. I'd prefer a lighter car thats more responsive. Even when I get the car down to my desired weight, 2750 pounds, it'll still be around 3,000 while drifting (add driver and fuel weight). 3,000 pounds is pretty high compared to the other cars out there drifting.

Comment

I think he meant balanced as in even weight distribution and even crossweighting/cornerweighting. But yeah you're right, the power/weight ratio does matter. Lighter cars like the AE86 dont need alot of power.

Comment

i really wasnt refering to the power weight ratio....
          im just curious on the effects of weight while sliding...
          my extended cab truck is heavy.. and when im done hacking ill prob get my truck down to 3000 pounds... and thats without stripping the interior..
          not to mention my 122" wheel base

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
            My car is heavy, around 3,400 pounds, and I weigh 260, so around 3,700 pounds sliding at ya!! hahaha It slides for a long time because it builds more inertia than a lighter car. Once you get it going, it keeps going. So it pronounces your mistakes more, its harder to re-gain control after you've lost it. Its less responsive than a lighter car. I guess a possible plus could be longer slides at lower speeds, its all a matter of perspective. I'd prefer a lighter car thats more responsive. Even when I get the car down to my desired weight, 2750 pounds, it'll still be around 3,000 while drifting (add driver and fuel weight). 3,000 pounds is pretty high compared to the other cars out there drifting.
            How much HP you think you have? Thats the ultimate balancer for a heavy car.

Comment

ROFL its great to know someone else is getting their kicks in a truck. I am saving up this summer for a 240 because it is nearly impossible to find an 86 in Ohio. In the meantime I have to drive a ford Ranger XLT. its a nice truck, really tiny compared to all the redneck crap out in my town. I practice good shifting and rev matching. Its all you can do. I think having a light car would be the best way to go. You have more potential there. A balanced car would be nice too. Nothing in the bed of my truck, so easy to loose traction, or even turn well.

Comment

My Camaro is advertised to make 245 peak hp and 330 peak ft/lbs at the crank, but it has high miles (123k) so probably running a little weak. The powerband is 2,300rpm-5,200rpm, pretty weird powerband. Engine is pretty much bone stock, just some minor ignition stuff (cap,rotor,wires, etc), and a crappy exhaust that came for free with the car hahaha. I'm getting ready to build a motor for it soon, I want a fresh bottom end, aluminum heads, a good cam, and a good intake, but most of all I want a lightweight valvetrain so the motor is more responsive. I'd be happy with 385rwhp @ 6,000rpm.

Comment

I think being a little wieghted could be a good thing. My chevette is low on power, but pretty light. Most of the time I try to weight shift, but with 2100 lbs, you really have to yank it around to to so. I think it'd slide for longer with more weight, but I'm not adding it. That'd be dumb with all 60 furious horses I have.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron
                    I think being a little wieghted could be a good thing. My chevette is low on power, but pretty light. Most of the time I try to weight shift, but with 2100 lbs, you really have to yank it around to to so. I think it'd slide for longer with more weight, but I'm not adding it. That'd be dumb with all 60 furious horses I have.
                    Wow..How do you fare driftin such a ligh power/light weight car? Even with such a light car with Power/Weight must suck badly with only 60hp. Is hat bhp or whp btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Crabapple
                      Wow..How do you fare driftin such a ligh power/light weight car? Even with such a light car with Power/Weight must suck badly with only 60hp. Is hat bhp or whp btw?
                      I'm only making due really. I don't even have lsd yet, and sadly that is power at the crank. I loose about 20 or so in the driveline.

GREENSBORO eh? I have family there.

Comment

Light weight:
                        + changes direction faster
                        + respond faster to steering inputs
                        + relatively less engine power to drift
                        + usually less tire wear
                        - more twitchy at higher speeds

Heavy weight:
                        - responds slower to steering inputs
                        - requires more power to drift
                        - usually tires wear faster
                        + more stable at higher speeds

Comment

Don't forget some things wear slower (ie: brake pads) on a lighter car. The brakes work alot better and everything is more controllable.

I can't really think of anything negative from taking weight off.

Comment

Originally posted by aphxero
                            I can't really think of anything negative from taking weight off.
                            i dont either, thats y i didnt ask "what are the negatives of weight reduction"

Comment

Working...
                            X