Woo, first drift... sort of!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo, first drift... sort of!

Ok, so I joined my university's (Nihon Daigaku) car club and Monday we went to go practice on a dirt course... lots of fun even if it took so much time getting there and back.

Anyway, I got to drive (primarily) a Mitsubishi Mirage... which looks sort of like a Lancer Evolution I or so, except lamer. It was in mud and it's 4WD so I did power-slides to get the nose around for the exit.

I also drove an EP71 Toyota Starlet Turbo, which has freakish throttle response (the car we're building now is an EP82). I like the sound it makes when the turbo spools up... hehe. But it's FF so no power slides, and it's mud so handbrake turns do nothing (I tried). I did use left-foot braking to help it get around corners a bit better.

I noticed that I'm pretty good at steering control consider I'd never driven in a "performance" situation before. And I didn't hit anything... except two cones... woo.

Unfortunately I never actually got it out of second... hehe. barely enough room to reline the engine anyway. Maybe next time :P

I also noticed that Sabelt harnesses are a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to adjust when it comes to the waist belt (especially when you've got 10 different people driving), and that I couldn't have possibly hit the roll cage without a helmet on... but with it on you hit the cage a lot.

This week I'm going to see if I can get a Japanese license so I can drive on what I think is a gravel course next week (I really want to drive on tarmac though), although it's a high-speed course so I don't know whether I'll get to actually drive or not. If I don't go with the club I'm going to go with a friend (he has an automatic Altezza... what a shame. ehehe) to a touge...or something.

Woo, JDM. RHD.

Too bad they don't seem to have any intentions on fixing the 86 they have.
    Last edited by Valkyrie; 02-22-2005, 11:49 AM.

I envy you. lol The only drifting I am able to do at the moment is shopping carts and NFSU games....

Comment

wow lucky you.....good to hear that getting some hands on driving skills.....

with that touge idea i wouldn't recommend doing that unless your friend is really skill and used to touge(and is driving).....because i don't like hearing crash stories involving first time newbies and touge...

Comment

Originally posted by ArmChairDrifter
        I envy you. lol The only drifting I am able to do at the moment is shopping carts and NFSU games....
        HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH same here

nfsu2 downhill drift: the 15 year olds' touge

Comment

Originally posted by FD3S_pilot
          with that touge idea i wouldn't recommend doing that unless your friend is really skill and used to touge(and is driving).....because i don't like hearing crash stories involving first time newbies and touge...
          somethin somethin like "whoa i was like goin home from like work and stuff and i like hit this puddle and i like crashed my civic in like a wall and stuff...can like an experienced drifter help me like uhhhh not crash and stuff?"

Comment

kekeke, bump.

We did go to a touge but not for racing or drifting or anything... just to drive around. In fact we only went through once, and there were no racers there anyway. It was a very short touge though... nothing like those in Gunma.

My friend from the car club is the one who drives like a maniac... he doesn't do touge any more since he's already wrecked 3 cars there (his current car is a hachini, or EP82 Starlet Turbo, I've driven it around the parking lot twice, lol), although last time when he took me to the train station, he basically went near full-throttle (or what seemed like it) downhill on a narrow street, with traffic on the other side. Fast enough so that I shifted forward big time when he brakes and downshifts for a corner.

Lots of fun...

I'd take an EP82 over a CRX anyday.

I'm hoping to get to drive again soon but it probably won't happen since I don't have a license, unless we go to a dirt trial place to practice again. I want to do circuit and gymkhana.

Comment

DOOOD you guys need a subaru GL. all youve driven so far is crap. if dosent sound like you know what you are doing. at all, i think your JDM boys are making fun at you while you drive. they only want you for your money.

Comment

Originally posted by requiredoption
                DOOOD you guys need a subaru GL. all youve driven so far is crap. if dosent sound like you know what you are doing. at all, i think your JDM boys are making fun at you while you drive. they only want you for your money.
                Of course all the cars are crap, the club got them for free. Well, except for the 82s... They just bought another one with a roll cage for $500, but it has no tag.

And I doubt they would be making fun of me since I was just as good as any of the other new guys.

Why would they want me for my money? I don't have any. I haven't paid anything to be in the club either.

Comment

can you buy parts for me and i pay you back ??? could really use some r33 gtrs

Comment

hmm... no.

Not unless you're going to pay ahead of time (I have neither the money to buy parts nor to risk on an online deal) and want something that I could actually find. Which means new, you found it on Yahoo Auctions Japan, or it's something that could be found in a junkyard, although I don't actually know where any are.

And obviously anything like a CF hood or an FRP hatch or something would be very hard to ship correctly.

Comment

damit required option, will you stop talking about you gl...no one fawking cares about what youve driven.

Comment

Working...
                      X