Budget 240, Maita, or RX7? Thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the Miata

I test drove the poop out of an 02 6spd Torsien LSD, loved it, but the tranny was not so good and the guy wouldn't come down on the price.

If I can snag a rust free miata up here I will, BPs are everywhere, Mazdas, Fords, Kias...... I spend like 10-20 hrs a week in junkyards during the summer, so I love that I can stumble across delicious finds for those cars, RX7s too, but we'll see thanks for the info folks.

Comment

hey Tuner, i just bought a Mazdaspeed MX-5. Any ideas for turning it into a drift car? I have no idea where to get started, i was looking at the sticky, but as a fellow roadster owner, i thought you might have some useful advice.

Comment

OMGSTFUBBG, just get a subara GL do some resarch that shiet is tyte yo

Comment

ive been t-boned in my miata! the guy was going around 20 or so is was pretty low speed but i was fine it almost totalled the car but i was ok!!

Comment

Originally posted by snig
            hey Tuner, i just bought a Mazdaspeed MX-5. Any ideas for turning it into a drift car? I have no idea where to get started, i was looking at the sticky, but as a fellow roadster owner, i thought you might have some useful advice.
            Swap the 17's for something smaller and go out and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by toplesstuner
              ive been t-boned in my miata! the guy was going around 20 or so is was pretty low speed but i was fine it almost totalled the car but i was ok!!
              Ouch looks like what happened to me recently....

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner
                Swap the 17's for something smaller and go out and have fun!
                I'm not sure, but weren't the 17" Racing Harts, or whatever they are, included to accomodate larger brakes? Swapping in smaller wheels should create clearance issues with the brake calipers.

Comment

You can for sure fit 16's and squeeze 15's with the right offset

Comment

Originally posted by requiredoption
                    OMGSTFUBBG, just get a subara GL do some resarch that shiet is tyte yo
                    rip apart the front cv joints, remove the axles from the FRONT differential while leaving the other end in the hub (that means destroying that CV however) put it in 4 hi.... instant RWD subaru for FREE. we did it in my buddy's car after he blew up the front CV... on a side note, the ebrake is on the FRONT wheels on the subaru so brakestands are insane. its like having line lock...

Comment

as i have owned both a FC3s N/A and a 1990 mx5 miata i can tell you that the rx7 is perfect for drifting because it will just rotate around the back wheels verry smoothly and transition directions it almost makes it to easy i used to drift mine alot then the engine whent for the first time and it was all down hill from there the miata is verry sturdy also a good beginers car mine has 140k on it and it runs perfect and ive done some baudy Censored to it and lived to tell about it got t boned bye a s10 and lived as well
                      it is a little underpowered grips a little to well so some finesse is required

Comment

Don't get an FC.
                        It's a PITA to drift.

Comment

Originally posted by SpazmSi
                          don't want one cause;
                          the rotorary is tempermental, i think thats the only down side....
                          Only ignorant people claim that.
                          Stop listening to those idiots.

I've had problems with WG vacuum lines falling off and overboosting to like 17 - 18psi, but the engine is still intact.
                          I've detonated hard enough to hear the metal pipe sound, and the engine is still intact.

Once you know how the engine works, you will never go back to pistons.

Comment

rotary engines and turbo rotary engines sound fricken amazing (like a fricken space ship), worth every penny (and minute in the shop)

Comment

From everyone i know, the FC is the hardest to begin with, turbo rotaries dont live long and they are difficult to learn in. From what ive heard is that they corner good and right as you break the tires loose that its easy to loose controll. My freind had a FC N/A and he sold it for a S13 and he loves it, ive driven it, bone stock everything accept for springs and its super nice. KA powered with open diff. If it were me, id get the miata, my ex girlfriend had one and she loved to have me drive it cuz id just brake hard and clutch kick and id slide it easy, i probably looked like a dumb@$$ cuz i had the back end wiggling around every time but she liked it. Just put a roll bar in it and dont worry about crashing, you will be fine.

In order

Miata (Fun and gets girls)
                              S13 (KA enough, stock drifting)
                              FC (good car, difficult for beginner)

Just my 2cents

Comment

hmm......i dunno bout "gets girls" for the miata.....

Comment

Working...
                                X