ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one 240sx, Lexus SC300, RX-7? and Confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For 2k - 3k, get a S13 240sx. I would suggest posting on Freshalloy and other 240sx oriented forums if you have not already done so. Also, don't get a 5k car that is an auto. You'll end up spending money just to convert it to manual tranny. Not worth the price of doing so. Stick w/ cars around the 2 - 3k range.

Certain cars are popular because of its cost. A 240sx is cheap. So is the FC RX-7, ad the AE86.

Cars like the 350Z, IS300, and the MKIV Supra are not modified extensively for drift because they are expensive cars. For a twin turbo MKIV, prices are at least $20k.

FD RX-7s are not seen all that much in the drift scene because there aren't that many of them in the first place. A lot of owners are hesitant to tear up these cars, as they are rare. They are also expensive cars to fix. Parts are expensive.

3000GTs are big cars, but they are the slowest among the Japanese "Supercars". I don't expect to see this car at the track ever! I honestly don't know if they would make a good drift car.

The SC300 can be acquired from the minimum price of $5k. But that is a MINIMUM price. Then comes the hard part of finding one w/ manual tranny. You can do a conversion, but that costs $$$. This will put you over your budget.

Stick w/ the 240sx. Also you may want to look at a FC RX-7 or a AE86. But these cars are for those who aren't afraid to work on the cars themselves (my opinion).

Take your time and find the right car. It took me months to find my car. Some people have taken them over one year to find the right one.

Comment

When I get the car I was just going to swap the engine stick with the auto instead of switching it to manual trans. I ve talk to Enjuku Racing on the phone about getting a SR20 automatic for the car and they said they carry them but not often. The guy said he can get one for me 450 bucks to buy or engine complete $2500. He said I would be fine drifting with auto just need to do torque converter to back up the horsepower. Nothing against manual Ive just have hard time shifting and drifting at the same time and I don't want to burn up the clutch all the time and go out buy another and another etc.. Do you think that sounds a winner or am I just missing something!? Thanks!!

SamuraiX26

Comment

you are way off, its really hard to control drifting with a automatic transmission. You dont get to choose when the tranny shifts. There are no race cars outside of drag racers that use automatic trannys regularly. Do not use a automatic if you really want to drift.

once again I ask, do you want to drift, or look like you want to drift? Talking about sr20s again makes me think its the second one. We told you exactly what you absolutely need for drifting for 3 pages, and now you come out with an automatic and sr20 totally disreguarding the great information and tips that others have given you, GIVEN when you should have searched in the first place, so now i give up.

Comment

You CANNOT be competitive in a drift car that is an automatic.

No F1 car is automatic.
          No NASCAR is automatic.
          No INDY car is automatic.
          No CART car is automatic.
          No Rally car is automatic.

Drag cars can be automatic because they go in a straight line. Drift cars do not go in a straight line.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
            you are way off, its really hard to control drifting with a automatic transmission. You dont get to choose when the tranny shifts. There are no race cars outside of drag racers that use automatic trannys regularly. Do not use a automatic if you really want to drift.

once again I ask, do you want to drift, or look like you want to drift? Talking about sr20s again makes me think its the second one. We told you exactly what you absolutely need for drifting for 3 pages, and now you come out with an automatic and sr20 totally disreguarding the great information and tips that others have given you, GIVEN when you should have searched in the first place, so now i give up.
            Just report it and it will be closed....

Comment

Ive talk to alot of people here and some of my friends they are going to helo me sharpened my shifting skills so and yes I did talk to other people and asked questions about auto drifting and they said the same thing. You cannot drift with a auto because one it shifts gears with the ecu and the other is you are going to burn up some gears and torque converter. They also said its better to have auto if your going to drag but Im not dragracing so and I found a 240sx cheap and with a stick and I can't wait to drive it so and my friend is going to help me with a stick shift too so. Hey thanks for the tips to and Ranging Panda chillout ok its a curious question that I had to ask ok just wanted to know and Ive took the help and the tips real seriously to and its going to put to use ok. Thanks again for your help I really appericate it really!!!

SamuraiX26

Comment

Good luck w/ your 240. The car responds really well to suspension mods.

Comment

to give you an idea I spent $3300 on my s14 spent a weekend washing and waxing it and it looks good. spent another $3k on suspension and the bought a kaaz 2way. Now I have about 4 sets of wheels and lots of tires they are not the perfect offset and they dont look the best (well not all of them) I have a set of daily driver wheels my bbs meshies fully restored and they are very nice, and then 6 350z wheels, another set of black 3pc meshies and the stock se wheels. That way I have plenty of wheels when I go to track events I usually drive there on set that I plan on running and go through 2 sets of rears and then slap on a set that I brought to drive home on I very rarely change my fronts at an event I just come prepared with good fronts. Now I have spent about $6k on my car it works great on the track it gets me to and from work everyday and works great in the mountains. I cant ask for much more. You dont need an sr20 to drift you only need the extra power to overcome a lack of skill dont upgrade till you are very good with the ka it will hold you back in my opinion. Learn to use more corner speed and more throttle with the ka it will help you in the end.

Comment

d1 drifting spec? and you want the car to be certified in D1? wtf?!?!?!?

only drifting.com.

cheapest cars are the s13 and th ae86 or a cressida. get those and you have money for suspension. other than that its cash like crazy and the car comes along slowly.

Comment

Yeah, listen to what people have said. I really can't put in much more input becasue everyone else has pretty much said it. Stick with a cheap car cause you will crash at some point, everyone does. Auto=no good, and worry about suspension, LSD, seats, and other small stuff before you worry about body kits and motors.

Comment

Working...
                      X